Firearm torque wrench

Sig

Have a few firearms that require specific torque specs on the screws.  Specifically SCAR's and FNX 45 Tactical.  Don't intend to change a barrel on the SCAR's any time soon, hopefully never, but nice to be equipped with the right tools for it if I so chose.  SCAR's use a T25 and snug to 62 in-lbs, again no real plans to do that.

However, the FNX Tactical 45 has Optic mount screws with very specific torque specs, uses T10 & T15 at 10 & 15 in-lbs.

So here is my question.  Looking for your recommendations for a torque wrench to accommodate the above.

My habit is to lean to made in the USA when available and reasonably priced and found this with some searching, but wondering if there are other recommendations.

http://www.shooterstools.com/Pages/ATD/atdkits.html

You can also look for a used Snap-On etc. torque wrench in good condition, and then have a calibration shop certify it (aviation torque wrenches are calibrated as a matter of practice, so there are a bunch of places that do it). Ideally you should have 1/4" drive in inch pounds for the scope work, and a bigger 3/8"-1/2"  drive for the heavier duty work.

• Like 1

Brownells sells Fix It Sticks with 3 limiters, 15, 25 and 65 inch pounds. Not cheap but I like them for smaller torque jobs. I have a FAT too, but for small items or tight spaces it's a bit bulky.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/general-gunsmith-tools/wrenches/general-wrenches/torque-limiter-fix-it-kit-prod81860.aspx

19 hours ago, m60mgman said:

Brownells sells Fix It Sticks with 3 limiters, 15, 25 and 65 inch pounds. Not cheap but I like them for smaller torque jobs. I have a FAT too, but for small items or tight spaces it's a bit bulky.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/general-gunsmith-tools/wrenches/general-wrenches/torque-limiter-fix-it-kit-prod81860.aspx

Very interesting

thanks

19 hours ago, aalbert said:

You can also look for a used Snap-On etc. torque wrench in good condition, and then have a calibration shop certify it (aviation torque wrenches are calibrated as a matter of practice, so there are a bunch of places that do it). Ideally you should have 1/4" drive in inch pounds for the scope work, and a bigger 3/8"-1/2"  drive for the heavier duty work.

also a very interesting idea

thanks

Sig,

Is the FNX a new acquisition?  I know about the SCARs you bought.  My guess is you're trying to up your hardware selection for the pistol competition portion of a certain shoot we both attend...

All this talk about firearm torque wrenches has me wondering if now I need one...

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

6 hours ago, David Albert said:

Sig,

Is the FNX a new acquisition?  I know about the SCARs you bought.  My guess is you're trying to up your hardware selection for the pistol competition portion of a certain shoot we both attend...

All this talk about firearm torque wrenches has me wondering if now I need one...

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

Yes you might see this most recent acquisition at a certain pistol competitiion.

• Like 1

So you are never going to use it... so why spend a lot? This should do the job. Yeah its not as nice and more old school but you are not really going to use it anyway... hard to beat it on price. Why spend 3x on a tool you will not use? $24

http://www.sears.com/presa-1-4-inch-drive-beam-style-torque/p-SPM9122048024?prdNo=19&blockNo=19&blockType=G19

SK Electrical Tools make a nice in. lb. adjustable torque driver.  Model SKT0568 and it is also marked in N-m too.  Go's from 0 to 36 in. pounds. 

Another good one, and less expensive is the Husky.  It runs around $ 60.00 at Home Depot.   I use one of these, and it so far, holds calibration accurately.  That's the secret to a hand held driver type, can it hold calibration up and down the scale over time.  The one I use is the SK but it may be a little overkill.  Here is a link to see it.    http://www.mytoolstore.com/SK-SKT0568-Torque-Screwdriver-Kit-Pre-set-2-36-in-lbs-SKT0568    Here is a UTube video of it by the company.  

Edited by Khrut27Gg
Added a link to the SK Torque driver

HOLD ON A BIT!!   not going to use it?  don't buy it!  cheap tools are worse than expensive women . however they don't make good anchors and women do.   IF YOU ARE GOING TO BUY A TORQUE WRENCH  BY SNAP-ON OR MATCO AND DONT USE IT UNTIL THE CALIBRATION HAS BEEN CONFIRMED!  this is especially true with inch pound examples, as the torque value's are low to start with.. calibration check is mandatory on a used tool as most  don't COMPLETLY release the tool after use and the springs set just like a loaded magazine  especially THE CHEAP MAG'S that nobody buy's either. you can get a great deal if you shop the pawn shops i have bought 3 for under $90 last couple years. not much demand from the gen public for inch pound.  most are priced retail , but have sat so long they will take offers to move em.     

the wrench is actually a great tool to have around if you mount a lot of optics. things just DONT MOVE AROUND when done to spec. on a 338 lap or .50 bmg and it wont hurt the small stuff

• Like 1