Odd ATF comment on a Form 4

har1690

So living in CT, I sold an MG to a fellow in FL or am transferring the MG to his local C3 dealer. Now living at my current address for 18 years and had moved from another town 10 minutes away in the same state am and have been under the impression that one can move with-in the same state without having to notify the ATF. Well I did send ATF a letter stating that while I'll im staying in CT, here's my updated address (with still having the original mail receipt) that was 18 years ago.  Anyway after a few months I receive the approved Form to ship the dealer the MG. OK so far so good,

Postie note attached to the approved form stating, "Mr. XXXX, Please update the address of your remaining NFA items not registered to your current address. Use the attached 5320.20 form. Thank you Scott ?????

What how what why? Thoughts...

I lived in Iowa many years ago. Transferred guns in and out there. Moved to Michigan 30 years ago. Recently sold gun purchased in Iowa and transferred the gun out of state. They mailed the approved form to Iowa. Guy in Iowa mailed it back to ATF. Maybe it pays to update address

1 hour ago, Schmeisser Guy said:

Uhhhh, I don't think you read the post correctly. Read it again.

Let's break down his paragraph...

On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2021 at 5:12 PM, gftiv said:

I lived in Iowa many years ago. Transferred guns in and out there.

This establishes that he once lived in Iowa and bought and sold guns while living there.

Moved to Michigan 30 years ago.

He moved to MI 30 years ago...

Recently sold gun purchased in Iowa and transferred the gun out of state.

Recently (while still living in MI one would assume from the previous statement) he sold a gun that had been purchased in IA (bought while he lived in IA 30 years ago, again one would assume from the preceding statements).

They mailed the approved form to Iowa. Guy in Iowa mailed it back to ATF. Maybe it pays to update address

The ATF mailed the approved form to IA (to his old address?? not sure on this but it logically follows from the previous) and the current resident mailed it back to the ATF.

Maybe it pays to update address

ETA: I guess I assumed it was a MG (or SBR/SBS/DD) which would require a 5320.20 before moving out of state. It of course could have been a suppressor or AOW which would not have required one, in that case, yeah voluntarily updating your information would avoid a hassle.

Edited by b_san

The previous information was background. I had an FFL and SOT. I moved from Iowa to Michigan. I called BATF the day after I arrived. they were slightly upset. They said that they would update my license and that I could not sell guns until the new license arrived. I did not know anyone in Michigan at the time so the license was not important. Two weeks later the license arrived and everything was OK with BATF.