Information on The Original Semi-Auto M60 / SAR-60 / JRW M60

Aaron in Mohnton Pa

So I thought this was pretty cool… and I wanted to share this information here instead of keeping it to myself….

A gentleman named Eugene Peruski found me online and reached out to me this week. I had known Eugene’s name from Semi Auto M60 prints floating around but knew nothing else about him or if he was still alive… needless to say,  I was very pleasantly surprised to receive a message from him.

He called me a few days later and we had a very nice conversation. I learned a lot of information that I did not previously know about the Semi M60 origins…… 

During our conversation Eugene asked me if I wanted the orignal SAR-60 build prints, corresponding ATF letters, and some hand written notes from John. An unbelievably kind gesture. Eugene is in his 70s now and said that he no longer needs the stuff.  Today these items arrived ….Some photos below of them. Like they have been in a time capsule. 

What I Learned:

Eugene created one of the first Semi Automatic M60 designs. During this period there was not really anyone interested in semi Auto M60s because transferable guns were very common. Which is why he was one of the first to do this. 

He built his first gun in 1990 and called it the SAR-60…He was working as an electrician at the time and built this rifle at his house using his mill to make the rails and customize the other semi specific parts…. 

While his design functioned well, he was experiencing broken striker pins over and over and over…. Which eventually became frustrating...

In 1993 he sold his prototype weapon to John Weaver (JRW Sports) of Edgewater Florida. John had planned to start producing these guns for resale. That would require ATF approval.

He first submitted the design to the ATF for approval in 1993. A copy of the SAR-60 prints (made by Eugene)  and a sample of the weapon were sent. The ATF responded and denied approval of the design in September 1993. The denial was because the ATF stated the semi auto rails could be removed, full auto rails installed, and thus full auto internal parts installed. 

John revised the design (changes to internal components) and submitted it again in May 1994. Hoping to get approval. The design was again denied by the ATF in August 1994. Citing the same reasoning. 

At this point, John decided to sell Semi M60 “kits” to people so that they could buy them and build their own rifles. Thus circumventing the need to have an ATF approval letter. 

Tragically John died in a Motorcycle Accident shortly after this and the SAR-60 came to a hault. Eugene never did anything else with the weapon or the design. 

I was very fortunate over the years to obtain a lot of parts from JRWs estate. Mostly through my friend / Fellow Sturm member Brian Borg @Brian B ….Who was a friend to John Weaver and even after all these years still continues to help John’s Family. 

Some photos of the original Documents etc below … 

Aaron - Mohnton, Pa

IfP2rYV.jpg

vUeFPW5.jpg

K1qL08m.jpg

7RoHbs3.jpg

Ae8k0W4.jpg

hBo41Xq.jpg

Edited by Aaron in Mohnton Pa
  • Like 2

@BPinFL thanks man…. Desert Ordnance has a completely different semi auto design. It involves cutting the mounting Lug off the bottom of the trunion and moving it back on the reciever. They have an approval letter for their design. 

Aaron 

Edited by Aaron in Mohnton Pa

• 2 months later...

@rrrgcy , I am not sure on the differences. The only semis that I have had pass through here are JRW semis. So I do not have any experience with the Desert Ord or other guns. It is my understanding they are completely different as far as the semi specific components.

-Aaron

• 7 months later...