New FedEx firearms policy

Bill in Bama

I just received a call from FedEx regarding their new (as of 9-20-21) policy for shipping firearms.  The rep asked me how many firearms I shipped in a year, and the approximate weight of them.  I am a really, really small dealer and ship maybe 10-15 guns a year, mostly handguns weighing less than 6 pounds.  After telling him this he said that unfortunately  I didn't qualify for their new program.  I asked what I had to do to qualify and he told me he wasn't allowed to tell me.  This is chilling on one plane, I can't help but wonder what the Biden administration has done to influence shippers in this way.  He did say it came from new federal regulations.  Anyone else encountered this?  I think I can still us USPS but who knows?   I just shipped a MAC 10 via FedEx last month and I can see this putting a big crimp in the Class III business. 

This process of hindering firearms industry companies from doing business has been going on for some time. some example: 

- most banks will not provide merchant services to firearms dealers (I was denied once they found out I dealt in firearms parts and I had the same bank for over 20 years) 

- it’s very difficult to get insurance for firearms dealers 

- states are passing laws that 07 manufactures can be sued if a weapon they made is used in a crime

- social media platforms such as YouTube, Instagram, and Facebook shadowban or outright ban firearms related pages and companies 

It won’t be long until all companies are pressured into banning firearms related companies …. In other words … Google will ban them from having websites…. banks will do no services of any kind with them …. Insurance will be unobtainable ….. shipping services will refuse to ship firearms or firearms parts …companies like quickbooks won’t provide services to firearms industry companies….. and who knows what other restrictions they will put in place…. Worst off is , like your expierence, they simply won’t give an answer when you ask them why

Aaron

Edited by Aaron in Mohnton Pa

This change makes it really challenging for unlicensed individuals who need to ship a "concealable" machineguns for service/repair or pursuant to a sale.

- It is illegal for an individual to use USPS to ship any concealable firearms via their service. 

- UPS completely prohibits automatic weapons from being shipped by individuals or dealers.

Fedex was the only 100% legal and  not-against-the-carriers-terms-of-service way for an unlicensed individual to ship a machinegun like an MP5.

At this point the only 100% legitimate options is for an individual to send a full auto MP5 out for say repair is to:

A. Transfer the concealable machinegun to a local FFL/SOT and then for that FFL/SOT to ship the concealable machinegun USPS.

B. Figure out some way to make it non-concealable by adding a 16+ inch long barrel and/or making sure its overall length is 26+ inches.  Fairly easy to do with say an Uzi, not so easy to do for an MP5.

or C:

Send it UPS or Fedex and don't tell them whats in the box and hope it doesn't get discovered or lost.

Edited by jbntex

1 hour ago, Aaron in Mohnton Pa said:

- most banks will not provide merchant services to firearms dealers (I was denied once they found out I dealt in firearms parts and I had the same bank for over 20 years) 

Aaron

I had the same experience.  Did business with 5/3 Bank for 30+ years, including mortgages.  Applied for a business account, filled out lots of extra paperwork, then more paperwork.  Was denied as "too risky".  Manager told me that they were approving accounts for Hemp and online supplement businesses.

I went next door to Chase and was able to open a business account there, no problems at all.

Unfortunately the change appears to be official and posted in Fedex's new updated 2021 terms of service guide..

https://www.fedex.com/content/dam/fedex/us-united-states/services/Service_Guide_2021.pdf

Page 125:

"Firearms Only customers holding a Federal Firearms License (FFL) and federal, state, or local government agencies may ship firearms with FedEx. Customers holding an FFL must enter into an approved FedEx Firearms Shipping Compliance Agreement before shipping any firearms with FedEx. For more information, contact your FedEx account executive. On behalf of customers holding an FFL who enter into an approved FedEx Firearms Shipping Compliance Agreement and federal, state, or local government agencies, FedEx Express will transport and deliver firearms, antique firearms, and replica firearms, all as defined by the United States Gun Control Act of 1968, as well as muzzleloaders and black powder firearms (collectively “firearms”)"

In contrast, this is the 2020 terms of service guide

https://www.fedex.com/content/dam/fedex/us-united-states/services/Service_Guide_2020.pdf

Pg 147  

"Firearms A. FedEx Express will transport and deliver firearms, antique firearms and replica firearms, all as defined by the United States Gun Control Act of 1968, as well as muzzleloaders and black powder firearms (collectively “firearms”), between areas served in the U.S., but only between:

1. Licensed importers; licensed manufacturers; licensed dealers; licensed collectors; law enforcement agencies of the U.S. or any department or agency thereof; and law enforcement agencies of any state or any department, agency or political subdivisions thereof; or

2. Where not prohibited by local, state and federal law, from individuals to licensed importers, licensed manufacturers or licensed dealers (and return of same)

Edited by jbntex

41 minutes ago, maxfaxdude said:

Would a C&R FFL be valid for shipping with Fedex?

It appears even a regular 01 or 02 FFL isn't valid to ship with Fedex anymore on its own merit.

You have to be an FFL and be accepted/approved into their " FedEx Firearms Shipping Compliance Agreement " before you can ship a firearm with Fedex.

The rumor I have heard is that only FFLs being accepted are big/large volume dealers who do a really large volume of shipments via Fedex.  I suspect that the compliance agreement probably also includes a provision that the shipper source their own 3rd party insurance so Fedex is no longer liable for the guns stolen during shipment.

Given the number of regular 01 and 02 FFLs I have heard of who have been turned down by Fedex for approval, I am going to guess that no C&R FFL would probably ever be approved into their Firearms Shipping Compliance Agreement.

2 hours ago, SGT Fish said:

I shipped a pistol for repair last week as an individual non-ffl. Told the pro-gun kid working there what was in the box and everything.  According to the wording, this only applies to FFLs? 

Last week you were good to ship a handgun as an individual as the policy appeared to formally change this week.  The service guide shows it was updated on 9/20/2021 per the first page.

Fedex does appear to keep tweaking the 2021 Service Guide verbiage regarding firearms.

The latest revision now states:

Only customers holding a Federal Firearms License (FFL) and federal, state, or local government agencies may ship firearms with FedEx. Customers holding an FFL must enter into an approved FedEx Firearms Shipping Compliance Agreement before shipping any firearms with FedEx. For more information, contact your FedEx account executive.

The verbiage seems pretty clear now.  You not only need to be an FFL but you also be accepted into the Firearms Shipping Compliance Agreement before shipping a firearm via Fedex.

8 hours ago, SGT Fish said:

Wow. So are there no more options for individuals to send a pistol back for repair? I always thought the USPS rule was kinda unconstitutional

UPS is still valid a option for an individual to ship a title-1 pistol back for repair.

If your "pistol" has a fun switch (like an M11/9) than you are SOL as UPS won't accept machineguns for shipment from anybody.

• 3 weeks later...

This could get interesting for Fedex in Texas.  We just passed a law that the State of Texas will not do business with companies that discriminate against the firearm or ammo industries.  I wonder how much shipping of goods through Fedex is done by the State of Texas Government?

Edited by Bwanalewis