RCM Limited

WTK - Selling Posties When Giving Up SOT

2 posts in this topic

I have a friend that is giving up his SOT and he has a couple post samples. Never done this before and unsure how to proceed. I know importers/manufacturers are not required to have a Law Letter in this circumstance. My question - how does one inform the ATF when submitting the form 3 for such a transfer?

TIA

RCM LImited

From the NFA Handbook: 

Section 14.3 Disposition of “post-86 machineguns.” Section 479.105(f) requires the FFL/SOT going out of business to transfer machinegun(s) manufactured after May 19, 1986 to a Federal, State or local government entity, qualified manufacturer, qualified importer, or, subject to the provisions of 479.105(d), to a qualified dealer. The transfers must be completed prior to the FFL/SOT going out of business. The transfer to a government entity would be on Form 5 and the transfer to a qualified manufacturer, importer, or dealer would be on Form 3. The transfer of a machinegun manufactured after May 19, 1986 to a qualified manufacturer or qualified importer can be done without the ‘law enforcement letters of interest’ when the possessing FFL/SOT is going out of business. That fact that the transferring FFL is discontinuing business must be documented with the submission of the transfer applications. Transfer of a machinegun manufactured after May 19, 1986 from an FFL/SOT going out of business to a qualified dealer requires compliance with section 479.105(d).