Seller having trouble correctly filling out paperwork for NFA transfer.

Gremby

Hi everyone, 

I've been in the process of purchasing a machine gun with maching suppressor and I am looking to get an expert opinion of what is happening/ what needs to happen. 

I purchased the gun on gun broker, The seller has nothing but stellar ratings and lives in kansas, I am in CT. I sent a down payment in exchange for the 20 magazines that came with the gun, the mag pouches, as well as all the accessories that go with the MG. I received everything within a week or so, so I sent the remaining money. 

Fast forward to now, 7 or so months later and the seller has had his forms rejected 3 times from the atf. Again the seller has been very transparent with the whole process but obviously this has made me a little nervous that I will not eventually get the gun. The seller is not an FFL/SOT, and owns the MG in a trust. 

My understanding is that because this is an interstate purchase, the seller needs to submit a form 4 to transfer it to his FFL/SOT, then the SOT submits a form 3 and transfers it to my FFL/SOT in CT, and then finally it is transferred to me via form 4. 

Is this correct? I am hoping to buy another MG this fall but dont want to do that until this one is atleast on it's way to my FFL/SOT.

Thanks in advance for the advice/help.

Hi guys thanks for the replies.

In response to autogun and RCM, the gun is factory full auto only (a stemple 76/45) so I'm all clear there.

In response to pstidan, that is very helpful, and would theoretically save me some serious time. 

Thanks for taking the time to help me with this.

Gremby

Did the owner fill in the Form 4 with the exact information is on the original Form 4.  Sometimes there are errors on the form due to the AFT (or the manufacturer/importer/etc) that should be corrected but isn't. They expect what ever is on the form to be the same as what's in their system.

Also they should have had a letter stating why it was rejected. Get that info and that should help a bit more.  Ask the owner for a copy of the form he sent so you can check if it is filled out correctly. Or post it here with important details blacked out.

• Like 1