New buyer in Tucson, AZ

Rabbit57

Hello forum, new member here.
My father has passed, and I am the trustee for his estate. For the first time I am considering buying a machine gun. I am interested in a Thompson M1A1 gun, an original military piece. What I would like to know is what is the going rate for such a gun, and are there any pitfalls I should be aware of? I have been picking up books on the subject, I have The Gun That Made The Twenties Roar, Thompson: the American Legend, and American Thunder, third edition. I am really enjoying reading about this gun, and I am just waiting for the trust to settle, and I will be ready to go. Any advice would sure be appreciated. 
Thanks for your time,
Mark

Edited by Rabbit57

Mr. Taylorwso, I apologize for the newbie question, but what is a SOT, I am unfamiliar with this.

I have been reluctant to post in the WTB section, I am still waiting on my father's trust to settle. Its the first and only trust I have ever dealt with, and it might take some time. But as soon as it is settled, I will start looking for real. Right now, I am learning. I have been watching Gunbroker, and I have looked on the FOR SALE section on this forum, and a dealer or two. Right now it looks like between $20-$30 grand, and that is a bit of money for me. I am willing to pay, but before I do, I would like to learn as much as I can. 
Thanks for responding,
Mark

Sometimes Estates can take longer then expected. In the meantime I would look for some local sub machine gun shoots and go to them. I believe there are a few big ones in Arizona.... chat some people up, see the different guns out there. Learn as much as you can and find out what you actually like. Maybe you want a shooter, maybe you want one to shoot 3-5 times a year, maybe you want a WW2... maybe a original Colt? You won’t know until you put some time in and learn what is right FOR YOU. 

I wanted a 1919a4 to shoot. I only take it out 2 or 3 times a year. I wanted a “real” one and ended up with a C&R 1919a4 Saginaw gun and couldn’t be happier... some people just want a Side plate gun to shoot....

There is a particular Thompson book out these that people swear by... I can’t remember what’s it’s called...

Best of luck, Matt

Edited by Labanaktis

The first thing you need to do is figure out what you want to do with the gun. Do you want a shooter that gets out once a month and shot? A WWII gun with historical significance shot maybe once a year? A collector piece shot once and put away and never shot again? This all effects price.

RCM Limited, I would like to contact Mr Davis. Could you please share contact information with me, via private message? Thanks

gftiv, I would like a decent example of a Thompson M1A1, not a factory new gun, but a good example. I plan to shoot this gun, on a regular basis. I am not looking for a safe queen, just a good example. I understand that these guns can be a mixture of parts, I have a few WWII guns, and most are like this. As long as it's normal, I am ok with it. If the gun has police department markings, that is part of the history of the gun, and that is fine. As a collector, I enjoy picking up the accessories that go with any military gun I own, sling, cleaning kit, spare magazines, military cases. The M1A1 is perfect for this kind of collecting. 

I have been reading about the Thompson, and it has been interesting. The M1A1 may be the last of the real milled steel and wooden guns make for the military, before the sheet metal and plastic weapons of today. They have an elegance to them, and they were built with a kind of respect for what they were intended. I would like to own one, both to shoot and to admire. 

Have you shot any full auto guns?  You mention that you want to shoot it often.  Not knocking Thompson owners but many shooters have expressed that it is not necessarily their favorite shooter.  Now if you just love the history and looks, etc above pure shooting satisfaction then you should pursue exactly what scratches your itch.  Depending on where you are located you may find Thompson owners near you who may be willing to share their similar love for the gun, let you shoot one and share tips on finding your own.  Folks who find someone with similar interests are often very receptive to helping out newcomers.   Sorry about your loss and good luck!  Try posting some information with location and see if you have any luck.  You may also check out the Thompson boards online for more input.

Hello Bwana,
I have fired a couple of machine-guns, but that was many years ago. I never thought about finding someone close who might share my interest in the Thompson. 

I live in Tucson AZ, and if anyone has a real Thompson, and would be willing to help a brother out, please send me a private message and I will respond! 

I have read mixed reviews on shooting the Thompson, and I think I understand. But I can't deny that I have watched more than a few war movies and read more than a few books on WWII, and so when I was given this opportunity, I chose the Thompson. Maybe I would change my mind, but maybe not. I would be very happy to find out!

Mark

• 2 weeks later...