Anyone deal with the Silencer Shop?

R.L.

So far my impression of the way they do business is not a good one. A friend wanted to put me on his NFA trust for some items he bought in Virginia through a hobby C3 shop..

First red flag for the hobby shop was they outright lied my friend saying they had the item in stock. They did not. They had to order it from Silencer Shop. They also never mentioned you were forced to use their electronic system, or kiosks as they call them.

What a cluster fxck this whole process, just to add me to his trust has become.

According to the Silencer Shop, I have to find one of their kiosks in Maine, which are few and far between, They won't accept live fingerprint cards and in general have been total douches to deal with.

It's their way or the highway. Fxck them... Personally I'd never do business with the Silencer Shop after this debacle.

Just my experience, your mileage may vary.

Cheers,

R.L.

I did. It was pretty seamless and the whole deal only took about 20 minutes…start to finish. One stop dealio. However…Silencer Shop held my package for a while until they had enough submissions to bother sending in. Added a couple months to the wait. ATF didn’t get my payment until 2 months after I did the kiosk thing. Easy, but I won’t be doing it again.

It's been about a year but they allowed my customers to mail them their finger prints and photos to upload into their system before they created the docusign paperwork.  It was very easy to complete.  Also they have a live inventory so dealers consider it in stock as it used to take only takes about 3-5 days to get it in on a form 3.   

23 hours ago, R.L. said:

First red flag for the hobby shop was they outright lied my friend saying they had the item in stock. They did not. They had to order it from Silencer Shop. They also never mentioned you were forced to use their electronic system, or kiosks as they call them.

That's on the local shop not SS. You dont have to use the kiosk or do it electronically. I do all the paper work for my clients even when I sell/buy from SS.  Most shops use it so they dont have to deal with customers.

According to the Silencer Shop, I have to find one of their kiosks in Maine, which are few and far between, They won't accept live fingerprint cards and in general have been total douches to deal with.

you can mail them in

Via Regular Mail

Option to purchase fingerprint packet through our website:

1. You may purchase fingerprint cards from us by clicking here
  2. Fingerprint packets include instructions and a pre-paid return envelope

Option to purchase fingerprint packet through a third party:

1. If submitting physical fingerprint cards, please mail them here
  2. Include order number, email address, and phone number for ALL persons submitting fingerprints

I hate to say this but it sounds like you need to read/research as everything you said is wrong.

BTW you dont need to be on the trust before its sent in, you can be added after and no fingerprints.

Find a better dealer

Edited by taylorwso

11 hours ago, taylorwso said:

That's on the local shop not SS. You dont have to use the kiosk or do it electronically. I do all the paper work for my clients even when I sell/buy from SS.  Most shops use it so they dont have to deal with customers.

you can mail them in

Via Regular Mail

Option to purchase fingerprint packet through our website:

1. You may purchase fingerprint cards from us by clicking here
  2. Fingerprint packets include instructions and a pre-paid return envelope

Option to purchase fingerprint packet through a third party:

1. If submitting physical fingerprint cards, please mail them here
  2. Include order number, email address, and phone number for ALL persons submitting fingerprints

I hate to say this but it sounds like you need to read/research as everything you said is wrong.

BTW you dont need to be on the trust before its sent in, you can be added after and no fingerprints.

Find a better dealer

Ahhh... maybe you're new but R.L. is the most respected guy on this board. Act like it! 

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve bought maybe 7 suppressors from Silencer shop and use their NFA trust. Everything has been good except their phone sales team being unhelpful on a backorder can. I also have my local SOT that has a kiosk so pretty easy. Just bought three stamps online from them for a few class three purchases I made. They said mg’s are fine on the nfa trust. They just don’t handle form 1’s

• 3 weeks later...

I have purchased several suppressors over the years from the silencer shop.  I don't trust them to send in the form 4s so I always request the originals and send them to atf for myself or my clients.  This way I know I am purchasing one on hand.  They did screw up a serial number and corrected the error without telling me which delayed about 6 other  pending form 4s as atf could not figure out which checks to apply to which nfa items.  Early on their staff was clueless about trusts and full of misinformation.  If you must use a trust which you really dont need anymore since cleo signoffs are no longer required use a lawyer.  I have been hired to redo many worthless do it yourself gun trusts which were not worth the paper they were written on despite the hype that they were atf approved trusts prepared by lawyers.  If the trust a gun store tries to sell you dies with you as the grantor avoid it.  This is a danger sign.  A trust should last several generations if well drafted.  

Martin Seidler

San Antonio Arms Co.

Edited by guntrustlawyer
Correct typo.

12 hours ago, guntrustlawyer said:

I have purchased several suppressors over the years from the silencer shop.  I don't trust them to send in the form 4s so I always request the originals and send them to atf for myself or my clients.  This way I know I am purchasing one on hand.  They did screw up a serial number and corrected the error without telling me which delayed about 6 other  pending form 4s as atf could not figure out which checks to apply to which nfa items.  Early on their staff was clueless about trusts and full of misinformation.  If you must use a trust which you really dont need anymore since cleo signoffs are no longer required use a lawyer.  I have been hired to redo many worthless do it yourself gun trusts which were not worth the paper they were written on despite the hype that they were atf approved trusts prepared by lawyers.  If the trust a gun store tries to sell you dies with you as the grantor avoid it.  This is a danger sign.  A trust should last several generations if well drafted.  

Martin Seidler

San Antonio Arms Co.

I try to have customers NOT go the trust route because of what you have said.

Most trust are poorly written and they are abused in the fact people try to amend them multiple times to get around the RPQ+fingerprints.  This will eventually bite them in the ass.

I haven't had a problem with SS. Ive had more of a problem when customers do not complete the SS forms and they blame me for a can taking forever. I try and do all my forms as well.