With the end of Knob Creek...

Frank Iannamico

1 hour ago, AirCav73 said:

The Hiram Maxim shoot and show in Maine. It was properly called " The Northeast Military Firearms Shoot & Expo".

Thanks that's one I was thinking of. Do you recall when and why it ended?

Frank

We (R&R Enterprises) set up as vendors in 1999 and 2000. It was a good show to attend because of it being held in July (between the April/October Knob Creek Shows).

This Knob Creek Show will mark our 30th year as a vendor at Knob Creek.

Below is a good link to an article from the July 2000 Small Arms Review.  

https://www.smallarmsreview.com/display.article.cfm?idarticles=2936

For those in ohio (or close to it) I host monthly steel plate shoots for SMG and belt fed guns. No explosives, tracers and so on (we have neighbors and issues with brush fires) but it’s a fun time. They are typically the first Sunday of each month.  Check the club calander-tuscorifle.org

Tusco Rifle Club 

2132 Midvale Mine Rd 

Dennison Ohio 44621

Frank comes over so if you want another reference. 

Edited by Got Uzi

• 2 weeks later...

I first started going to the North Country MG shoots sponsored by Long Mountain Outfitters and the Minuteman Gun Club. They ran a series of shoots in New Boston, NH with 1 to 2 shoots a year. That morphed into the North Country Shoots but with a much larger location up in Stratford Hollow NH. Was the perfect venue. Fabulous location and a small town mentality that LOVED us (and our money)… and we loved spending it. Before the North Country shoots ended, The Maine shoots started. I only went to three shoots there and it was much smaller but just as crowded as North Country.

Then there was the West Virginia Shoots started… Thunder in the Hills or something. And you had about 10 years of Bulletfest shoots at The Snode’s Melon Farm in Minerva (Ohio) and Jack Black’s farm down the road…yep. Got so big it was held in TWO locations on the same day.

After the New England shoots pooped out, a new shoot called Eden started up. Located in Eden Vermont, it’s at the top slope of a mountain smack-dabbed in the center of thousands of wooded acres at the end of a long, narrow and very treacherous road, (well…for a low rider Silverado, anyhow) That shoot still is in action and I’ll be there in a couple weeks. There were also a series of shoots southeast of Columbus, Ohio at a Christian Radio Station run by a quadriplegic fellow named Rich. Location was Rushville. Another series of shoots was held east of Columbus in Newark on private property. The locals didn’t care for us and always called the local gendarmes who insisted on seeing paperwork. They ran through a couple fellows papers, not knowing what they were really looking at, but we aimed to please. Most guys had one or two Form 4’s that made the coppers happy. It ended when I hit them with a portfolio with over 150 Form 4s…they all of a sudden “had to go”. And the shoot restarted.

And of course, you know about Marietta, Ohio.

I’ve got extensive photos and videos of everything. Including appearances in several Machinegun News Magazine.

By the way, The Hill  Country Shoots were in Texas.

Edited by Shattered
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Great video!  Wish I had a time machine to go back and get some of that .50 cal ammo for a buck a round! .30 cal for 10 cents

Interesting points: J A Ceiner talking about his minigun, tracers going everywhere, the Ma Duce blowing off the topcover.

Thanks for sharing!

I was at that 91 MG shoot ..... the LAST shoot at that location .....  reckless MG shooters killed it ...

during the night tracer shoot .... tracers are going out at a 30 degree angle ..... WAY OVER the TREE LINE ....

pretty sure that was happening..... ALL DAY LONG .... down range residents had a right to complain !!

had the only FAMAS there :-)   It was a BLAST !!

HelotesMGshoot1991Line.jpg

FAMAS_CoryA.jpg

HelotesMGshoot1991.jpg

HelotesMGshoot1991Night.jpg

• Like 1

There have been a few "regular" shoots in other places.  We attended one in Kearney NE for a number of years- 9/11 stopped us going ( I was to busy and the shoot was in the same time frame is Sept) Not sure exactly when it stopped, But I would guess that the proximity of houses down range put a stop to things.  We had one going in Princeton MN back in the 90s, but that shut down for safety issues after I quit going ( because of safety issues) . 

I used to go to the North County Shoot in the early 90’s , the only guy from NJ attending with machine guns, one time Dan ran an M60 belt early in the AM to wake up the campers  as I recall… and there was this guy Caveman Dave that offered me his house for the night, great people and lots of fun. Not sure  when it ended. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 7/15/2021 at 9:06 AM, Buddy H said:

I was at that 91 MG shoot ..... the LAST shoot at that location .....  reckless MG shooters killed it ...

during the night tracer shoot .... tracers are going out at a 30 degree angle ..... WAY OVER the TREE LINE ....

pretty sure that was happening..... ALL DAY LONG .... down range residents had a right to complain !!

had the only FAMAS there :-)   It was a BLAST !!

Helotes now is oversold area, like everywhere around San Antonio

OP, well I have attended and shot at a few of the MG shoots in New Hampshire and in Maine. I believe, and you won't believe this, but as memory serves there was a complaint from a local resident that they had found a 9mm round stuck in there wall and claimed it can from a MG shoot. Funny thing though the photo showed a complete 9mm cartridge. At least that is one story to the end of one of the shoots...Great people with great weapons. There was a C2 fellow  that had a post sample Glock 18 and let me shoot 1000 rnd box of 9mm thru his 33 rnd mags. What a blast I had shooting all 1k rnds that day.

• 1 month later...

Wouldn't surprise me to see another Knob Creek shoot.  Yes I know the last one was the FINAL one.  Crowds like that = $$ and someone will step in to make it happen again.  Kind of like the FINAL "farewell" tours by musicians. They've figured out that shtick.  Ask KISS or Elton John or...  We'll see.

13 hours ago, Bwana said:

Wouldn't surprise me to see another Knob Creek shoot.  Yes I know the last one was the FINAL one.  Crowds like that = $$ and someone will step in to make it happen again.  Kind of like the FINAL "farewell" tours by musicians. They've figured out that shtick.  Ask KISS or Elton John or...  We'll see.

I hope your right. 

23 hours ago, Bwana said:

I went to see the Rolling Stones in Pontiac Michigan in 1982, It was their "Last American Tour!"

@polytech86 , great video. Thanks for sharing it....... as mentioned by BP , At the 29:56 mark there is a serious out of battery on that .50 cal... Hard to tell, but looks like the receiver took some serious damage... Always interesting when an out of battery is caught on video like that. 
   J.A. Ciener talking about his transferable minigun at the 14:07 mark …. I always try to talk to John at the creek. He still talks with the same enthusiasm and passion about all this gun stuff...... Photo below of him with his Ah-1 Cobra Helicopter minigun turret at the last show.. it was purchased by fellow Sturm member Donald Mclean. John wanted to take a picture before we loaded it up and hauled it off.  

Aaron

XE3TEjI.jpg

Edited by Aaron in Mohnton Pa
  • Like 1

We had a large monthly MG shoot in Broward County, Sunrise, FL at Markham Park named for the “Broward County Historical Arms Club,” or some-such. Propane tanks, grills … tannerite. M240s, Mg34s, water cooled Mgs… Ended around 2005 (?), the Commissioners changed the rules requiring something like one range safety officer per four shooters. Club certainly couldn’t afford the fees to pay the extra RO’s needed (paid overtime to my recollection) and that was that!