Difference between M16 Options

Mutiger

Well a factory colt is always at the top of the list, just because it's a factory gun with an easy track of where it came from and when it was produced. Then I'd say conversions by any number of well reviewed manufactures, P.A.W.S., weapon specialities, Frankfort etc. they did conversions on a number of different lowers. The next one down I'd say is the SP1 conversions, just because of the larger front take down pin. It can be converted to a small pin, but even then it won't be a captured pin. The last and least desirable is a lower that was registered as a full auto, but they used a drop in auto sear. I'd stay away from those at all costs. 

That being said any conversion that you can find usually can be brought into proper spec for $300-750. There are some very talented smiths out there, with m60joe being at the top of my list. He can work wonders on most all lowers, and if you find a gun that has issues, email him to ask what he thinks. Some lowers had issues, mainly Olympic lowers with fit issues, but he(and others) can easily bring them into spec. And even if it's $500~ that's like 3% on a $15,000 lower to bring into proper spec. Cheap from my stand point. 

• Like 1

Within the Colts, the most common ones you see are the M16A1s. The M16A2 brings a higher price than the M16A1. Not exactly sure why, probably based on supply, not as many maybe? The A2's are marked "burst" and the A1's "auto". The A2 has the windage adjustable rear sight in the fixed carry handle where the A1 has a more simplistic rear sight. There are other differences. As far as conversions go, the lowers will be either forged or cast. You can research those differences if you want. All Colts are forged receivers.

There are also some other Colts that bring their own price based on their uniqueness and rarity. The model 614 looks like an A1 but has no forward assist. Here's a link that shows the different variants. The second chart on the page lists the machine guns (first section is semi-auto's):

http://www.biggerhammer.net/ar15/variants/

1 hour ago, Tall Pine said:

There are also some other Colts that bring their own price based on their uniqueness and rarity. The model 614 looks like an A1 but has no forward assist. Here's a link that shows the different variants. The second chart on the page lists the machine guns (first section is semi-auto's):

http://www.biggerhammer.net/ar15/variants/

I really need to update that page sometime (yes the Sturmgewehr.com empire extends to Biggerhammer.net - which is my neglected web girlfriend at this point)

On March 26, 2016 at 10:36 AM, aalbert said:

I really need to update that page sometime (yes the Sturmgewehr.com empire extends to Biggerhammer.net - which is my neglected web girlfriend at this point)

Didn't know that! Interesting how the sites work out.