Gunbroker prices

Dean

I’ve been questioning some of the prices on GB for awhile now. Seems awful funny that some people get a lot more than others for a similar item. I question if there are shill bidders or a group of people bidding up each other’s stuff hoping to trap someone 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Dean said:

I've bid/watched two different gunbroker auctions lately.  A sar48 that sold for $25k and a PAWS m16 conversion that sold for $35k.  Why would someone pay outrageous prices or is something fishy?

I've seen this happen before, a "Limited" item is worth $X then if there are a couple of the same item "appear" to sell for more, over the course of a short time. Then that inflates the said item to be worth more than the actual current market value. The perception of  "Supply and Demand" ..... or.....

• 2 weeks later...

I don't see where if the item "sells" to a shill bidder that it works at all. Because then you are going to owe GB about 3% final value fees. That's about 1000.00 for a 30k item. Too much risk involved, at least from my viewpoint. I think some folks just don't know where else to look, plus they have money to burn.

2 hours ago, GUNBUGS said:

I don't see where if the item "sells" to a shill bidder that it works at all. Because then you are going to owe GB about 3% final value fees. That's about 1000.00 for a 30k item. Too much risk involved, at least from my viewpoint. I think some folks just don't know where else to look, plus they have money to burn.

you file a claim to recover your fee's, offer it to the second bidder for what he got bid up to by the shill.   You get high price and no listing fees   Win win except for the buyer, but as pointed out it may have been his PPP money or some other form of welfare?  Or maybe he cashed out of crypto last month?  It's not like you can go out and burn it on a new car?  The local caddy dealer had 2 cars on the lot last week?  Trillions pumped in the system with no where to spend it?  What could possibly go wrong?

• Like 1

On 6/28/2021 at 4:11 PM, Bd_p98 said:

Wow, here is another one on GB from same seller of P.A.W.S  

50k for lightly used M16A2 SSA…to be fair it included an M9 bayonet…

I'm watching another M16 from that same seller now.  If it goes for more than $35k I know something is up.

On 6/30/2021 at 5:31 AM, Dean said:

I'm watching another M16 from that same seller now.  If it goes for more than $35k I know something is up.

My bank account seems to be about the only thing that's "up" - but please, elaborate on what you mean, detective.  

I am absolutely amazed at the shit-talking that has transpired from my sales on GunBroker as this isn't the first place that I have been made aware of the suspicious chatter.  All of the winners are legit and, in some cases, SOT dealers themselves.  But do you ask me directly via GunBroker?  Nah, just gossip and start rumors that I am money-laundering.  

I have other recent machine gun auctions that are ending at approximate fair market value but there seems to be a fascination with the M16's (high demand, low supply currently) ending higher than what you seem to be used to.  

Aside from that, I guess I should be flattered that my auctions are doing so well that it's quite literally unbelievable.  Feel free to contact me for brokerage services if you want to get a premium for your machine guns.

Edited by Sienna Armory
  • Like 2

If you can sell it high.. Awesome.. unless I'm buying it.  :D

It's just the way of the world right now on the auctions. Though GunBroker doesn't really drive price up like the major auction houses.

Which reminds me.. I need to list some stuff.

1 minute ago, taylorwso said:

He might not mean you, but there are a number of shill bids on GB.

He is quite literally referring to one of my GunBroker auctions:

On 6/30/2021 at 5:31 AM, Dean said:

12 minutes ago, Sienna Armory said:

When someone starts throwing around accusations like "money laundering" it tends to aggravate 

I applaud you on making $$$. That's the American way, supply and demand, etc.

I don't think it's fair of the OP to say that all the GB bids were shills, I found most of my sales there are great overall. I try not to take it personally as if he was talking about you, as he may not have been since your a known seller.. though I could see why you would take it he was.
It's also not worth getting frustrated even if he was since you know the truth and will continue to make sales no matter what they think.

• 2 weeks later...

GunBroker is crazy these days. Last night I sold a mixmaster Greek return 1903A3 for $1,225. That is no more over market value as a percentage than Sienna Armory has been seeing on most of his machineguns. I know dealers who use him as their broker because right now he seems to have the golden touch when it comes to GunBroker auctions. Everyone complains about Reuben's prices, but he is still in business. Some people just seem to command greater prices. Perhaps they are perceived as giving better service or some other intangible value. With respect to auction items, maybe they are just lucky to be in the right place at the right time. Who knows?

Dan

If you have nothing more than a "feeling" you shouldnt imply that sellers are using Shill Bidding.

Let me come out and state as someone who has bought about 15 items from Jonathan at Sienna that

his auctions are real and his descriptions accurate and i have been more than pleased with his followup 

and the guns!! He doesnt have shills!!!

• Like 1

On 6/15/2021 at 8:28 PM, Dean said:

I've bid/watched two different gunbroker auctions lately.  A sar48 that sold for $25k and a PAWS m16 conversion that sold for $35k.  Why would someone pay outrageous prices or is something fishy?

I bought the SAR-48. What's fishy or outrageous about it? I haven't seen a factory Imbel Springfield Armory converted paratrooper like that since...I can't remember the last time. Gun is very clean, shot nicely. No regrets about the premium I paid. I'll hold on to it for forty years and not lose one minute of sleep.

If anything is weird, it's the guy who was bidding against me. He wasn't a shill bidder but had a very weird buying history. The store I bought it from was very professional and it came out of some dude's collection that he was liquidating.

Everyone except the two of us dropped out once it hit $20k. I wasn't going to wait around for another one, nevermind that clean to pop up over 3-4k difference. The killer was the tax I paid and fully insured shipping. Likely the first and last machine gun I buy on GunBroker.

If you think it's too high, don't bid. Sounds like what you did. Why are MG-42s selling for 90k in some places? Seems outrageous to me but some people really want them. It's why I'm not buying one. 

Edited by Abacab