MP40….. bolt…..???

Builttoughf350

I bought a pile of mags from a guy at the gun show yesterday, enough mags that I basically got this bolt and recoil assembly for free. 
I grabbed the box and thanked the guy and left. 
then I compared it to my MP40 bolt and recoil assembly and noticed this new one doesn’t have a fixed firing pin on the recoil assembly, and it has a firing pin inside the bolt. 
Was this a later design or maybe a post war part?

sorry I am unable to add pictures to this post apparently 

The bolt with the firing pin as part of the recoil spring assembly is the original MP-40 design.  The bolt with the fixed firing pin is from the Portuguese FBP submachine gun, which was a post-war design.  A lot of guys with original MP-40s put their original parts aside to preserve them and use FBP bolts instead for everyday shooting.

So an FBP bolt drops in?  I’m guessing you need to add the FBP recoil assembly as well as you wouldn’t want the MP40 recoil assembly with the firing pin it has on the end?

Thanks!  I would love to preserve/not use my original bolt if possible.

Yes, you would have to use the FPB recoil assembly with the FPB bolt.  A lot of guys with MP-40s picked them up to do exactly what you want them to do- preserve your original parts.  The couple I picked up from IMA slid right in to my Wilson tube gun and functioned perfectly, but I suppose there's always the chance that it might not fit.  Also, supposedly the recoil spring used in the FPB is a bit stronger than the original MP-40 spring, so you might have a runaway with wimpy ammo or just a higher cyclic rate.  You might want to visit Wolff Springs and get a new spring set for it.

• Like 1

Hi All,

I run a FBP bolt in a MP40 tube gun.  In my particular case I only had to take a few coils of the main recoil spring in the FBP spring assembly.  Extra power ammo would have worked also! :) With the FBP bolt and spring not only does it preserve the MP40 parts but it gives you the opportunity to misplace them after 20 years!

To the OP - Good score.

Grasshopper

• 4 weeks later...