Losing FFL/SOT and selling NFA parts

genbander

ATF is has notified us that they are not going to renew our FFL, even though they were going to renew our SOT "explain that?"

Anyway we have destroyed all of our Host lowers and have several new bushmaster 3 round burst kits and auto sears to dispose of before we expire.  What are the rules for me selling these, I assume it must be sold to another FFL?

Thanks

I'm curious about the refusal to renew as well.

As for the unregistered M16 parts.  They can be sold and don't require a license to own. 

It would not be wise for someone to buy if they own an AR15 and don't have their SOT but just put a disclaimer on your ad.  Or require them to have a SOT if that makes you more comfortable.  At the end of the day they are just parts.

Thank you all for you replies, I think they are getting rid of FFL's who don't generate a lot of revenue.  We have slid under the $50K mark the last few years, with most of the revenue coming in the form of cans.  I will only sell them to an SOT, I don't want to get anyone in trouble for possession, or worse actually convert a rifle illegally.

Anybody on this board interested?

34 minutes ago, genbander said:

Thank you all for you replies, I think they are getting rid of FFL's who don't generate a lot of revenue.  We have slid under the $50K mark the last few years, with most of the revenue coming in the form of cans.  I will only sell them to an SOT, I don't want to get anyone in trouble for possession, or worse actually convert a rifle illegally.

Anybody on this board interested?

There's got to be way more to your story, compliance issues during inspection, previous warnings, etc. The ATF doesn't give two f#$%s how much revenue you bring in, they also don't pull your license after the first paperwork ding, FFLs are given plenty of opportunities to correct their policies and behavior before revocation. The license is shall issue license, unless they have a valid reason to deny, they must approve/renew the license.

ETA: the small parts are just that, parts, not regulated nor serialized. Sell to whomever you like.

Edited by b_san
  • Like 2

With the new administration, anything is possible. When Clinton was elected I have a buddy who was just a "kitchen table" dealer at the time who was pretty much forced to close. In their eyes, if you don't have a store front with regular hours and do a ton of business, they would rather you not exist. Less dealers to keep an eye on. It may not be legal but alot of folks, especially the small guys, don't have the money to get a lawyer to fight them.

As for the parts, we have our FFL & SOT. I am interested in whatever parts you have left over. Send me a message or an email to Jon(remove this) @atlasfirearms.com

Okay so your just going to accept that they are closing you down and not renewing your business without even trying to get an answer?

I find it strange you didn't fight to keep your license. If you fought, you should know why they are shutting you down. Revenue is highly unlikely, but I would want to know why if it were me.

Sounds like an atf sting..... ha. 

He's full of it. I just renewed my.liscense no problem and I only had 17 disposals in last 3 years.   Got it all back in about 2 weeks.  If not a sting there is definitly.more to this...  I mean refusal.to renew requires a hearing.  Unless it was.some. zoning issue.  Either way seems odd.  Don't think its a policy change though

• 4 weeks later...

It does seem a little odd - I have been a Class II for nearly 35 years now.  Post 9/11 the day job dug into my available time, and I really don't make anything and have not for at least 15 years.  I do some title 1 transfers, some NFA stuff but not a big business.  BATF compliance folks have been helpful and thorough.  Never had  issues with renewals. never a question of sales or transfers -  although I do  a fair number still.  so the "not enough business" seems like BS. and selling parts only to SOTs ?  cutting up perfectly good guns that were worth a lot more as no demo letter guns seems pretty stupid. Maybe there IS a business reason they won't renew ?