State Legislature Exempts Texas-Made Suppressors From Federal Gun Laws

Buddy H

A lot of these laws are just virtue signaling BS by our side.

"I passed a (mostly symbolic) law that expands gun rights. Vote for me in 2xxx and I'll help pass even more pro-gun bills (that don't matter) in the next legislative session."

Politics suck. 

-KristopherH

Edited by MontanaRenegade86

On 6/5/2021 at 3:09 PM, MontanaRenegade86 said:

A lot of these laws are just virtue signaling BS by our side.

"I passed a (mostly symbolic) law that expands gun rights. Vote for me in 2xxx and I'll help pass even more pro-gun bills (that don't matter) in the next legislative session."

Politics suck. 

-KristopherH

Not really, they have merit if you look deep into the NFA.  If 30 states passed additonal legislation to support it, things would have an impact.  The tax is based on interstate commerce.  If there isn't any it doesn't apply.  If a bunch of judges don't comprehend the laws we have a bigger problem.....and of course we all see many examples of many federal statutes being completely ignored.  The organized importation of illegal immigrants also falls under the commerce clause, hopefully someone notices.

Hi Johnson, if you bring in illegal immigrants for prostitution, that's human trafficking, and the Feds will hammer you. Otherwise, they prefer to not consider it a big deal.

As for the marijuana legalization comparison, you have huge  public support for legal pot. Nowhere near as much for suppressors, unfortunately.

13 hours ago, BrettBaker said:

Hi Johnson, if you bring in illegal immigrants for prostitution, that's human trafficking, and the Feds will hammer you. Otherwise, they prefer to not consider it a big deal.

As for the marijuana legalization comparison, you have huge  public support for legal pot. Nowhere near as much for suppressors, unfortunately.

As much as I'd like to argue with you, I cannot.

I would LOVE to see suppressors (and every other NFA item) sold in hardware stores for $9.99 each cash and carry, but I just don't see it happening anytime soon. 

My home state of Montana tried a Firearm Freedom Act in 2009. A bill was drafted and passed basically saying "Cool things made in Montana (except machineguns) and retained within its borders are exempt from Federal regulation." It failed judicial scrutiny. The legal argument against it was basically "Well, just because it says Made in Montana and stays within the state borders doesn't mean it could not end up in Wyoming eventually." 

Should we keep trying? Absolutely. We should just be aware that such legislation is mostly symbolic in nature and is not going to have much of an affect at this point in time.

My opinion only. Worth exactly what you paid for it (MSRP: $0.02). 

-KristopherH

• Like 1