Usps shipping concern

The individual I bought a rifle from shipped it 5 days ago and tracking says it just arrived about 50 miles away from the original shipping location. Huge delay and minimum movement of the package....

I'm concerned that someone grabbed the package and swapped out the contents. The package had the ffl name on it which is pretty obvious it's a gun store. 

Should I wait a few more days? What can I do?

1. USPS tracking is shit at best, dont trust their tracking.

2. You cant do anything until usps "delivers" it. Then only the seller can make a claim. 

If you live in a small town you can go talk to the branch supervisor. See if they can get a update and explain its a gun. I've had to do this with my local place. My guns that were "delivered" but not in my possession showed up 30 minutes later.

I live in Houston TEXAS ..... I have several different letter carriers...... with mailboxes on each house ..... meaning they gotta walk house to house .... 

some carriers actually Scan my packages.... DELIVERED ..... While they are IN THEIR VEHICLE..... just before they walk my street ..... so a 15 to 20 minute delay in ..... ACTUAL DELIVERY.....

I use their delivery notifications text alerts ..... sooooo ..... I get a delivered notice ..... when the package is several blocks away ... still in the postal truck.
I shipped over a dozen LONG BOXES with rifles .... US PRIORITY MAIL ..... Almost all took a week to be delivered..... several times ..... NOT REPORTED MOVING for several days .

l never wrote ANY words as “ Gun Related “ on my outgoing boxes .....

on a side note USPS Tracking works ...... All the way to my friend in France ...... shows acceptance.... airport .... customs clearance..... movement ..... arrival at French post Office .... delivered ..... usually taking 7 to 10 Days 

It happens a lot that a package will just stop movement within the USPS system .... You an open an inquiry with USPS to get your package moving....I have shipped thousands of parts via usps... every time I have had to open an inquiery, they located the package and got it moving right away. It is an option for you if your package doesn’t update and get to you. 

https://www.usps.com/help/missing-mail.htm

Edited by Aaron in Mohnton Pa
  • Like 1

I still would use USPS for shipping. Maybe I've been lucky, but I haven't had a lost package after 10 years in business. **Knock on wood**

Some have been flown nearly around the world, but arrived. Package flew to east coast and then to Alaska, and then to the place it was suppose to arrive! That was interesting tracking information. 

Unfortunately I've repeatedly had some awful luck with both USPS and - to a much more frequent extent - FedEx Ground. I HIGHLY recommend UPS and have also had good luck with FedEx Express. 

Right now any USPS package I receive that has a signature required, the letter carrier signs for as my name and "Covid" next to it. He then proceeds to leave the package - sometimes containing a machinegun - sitting outside my storefront on the street - in the middle of town. You can imagine my anxiety level when a shipper sends me a USPS tracking number.

• Like 1

Probably area dependant for any of the carriers. My carrier is good.

On Trac sucks but that was for personal items (they didn't deliver my package but the next day they deliver a package to me clearly marked for a different address, miles away!) 

The driver is everything IMO. My USPS and UPS guys are great but some aren't I'm sure. The only things I have ever had lost was by USPS and they were just toys for my grandkids, took 6 months to get reimbursed so I can't imagine a gun claim. They want receipts so FYI maintain your pictures/receipts and anything proving what you own on expensive packages. 9_9