M2 Carbine Research/Questions

Bwanalewis

I have the opportunity to purchase an Inland M2.  My dealer will be receiving the gun soon.  Is it true that Inland was the only manufacturer of "Factory M2s"  I have done a lot of research, but struggling to find that specific information.  If so, does that make them more valuable? How well are they made?  The one thing I did find is that the Inland guns seem to come at the end of WWII, so mainly used in Korea and Vietnam.  Is there data on shipment of these guns?  

Thanks,
Chad

Edited by Bwanalewis

4 hours ago, Bwanalewis said:

I have the opportunity to purchase an Inland M2.  My dealer will be receiving the gun soon.  Is it true that Inland was the only manufacturer of "Factory M2s"  I have done a lot of research, but struggling to find that specific information.  If so, does that make them more valuable? How well are they made?  The one thing I did find is that the Inland guns seem to come at the end of WWII, so mainly used in Korea and Vietnam.  Is there data on shipment of these guns?  

Thanks,
Chad

Don't do it, not a fun gun IMO.  I had a PS, sold it quick, it would be the last MG I'd buy again if I had too much money sitting around begging me to spend it.

M2's were made by Winchester and Inland.

When you say it's an M2 you'll need to check whether it's a factory M2, an M2 with the "2" added later, or a registered part gun.   There are vast differences in pricing with the Winchester M2 factory gun being at the top.  The factory guns would also be C+R.

There is a lot of info in War Baby, and that's where you'll want to research.  If you're serious you'll be wanting to buy the set anyhow.

If you're looking for a shooter type gun, not the best choice.  If you're a WW2 collector, it's a must have at some point.

This is a factory M2 Stamped (not over stamp) C&R gun (per the dealer.) Sorry I was not clear, when I refer to an M2 it does not mean an overstamp.    I have not seen the gun, but that is how he described the gun.  I was hoping to be able to find some information before I purchase the books.   If I do not buy  the gun, sounds like that is the best route to get learned up on the M2.

Thanks,

Chad 

• 2 weeks later...

there is LOT of grey area in "M2" carbines- as noted, WIN and Inland were the original Mfgs.  WIN made a bunch of original C&R  M2s by overstamping the 1 with a 2.  I have one.  The US govt made a conversion kit and this was sent out to armorers and they just made M2s as needed.  some of those were amnesty registered and would be C&R even if not "original".   Now, Springfield armory INC made a shitload of them pre 86 by registering them and these are transferable but NOT C&R, WIN or inland   dos not matter. They overstamped the 1 with a  2.   Lots guys made transferable ones registering the conversion parts, not the receiver. These  are not C&R.   To make it even more complicated, there were a large number of M1s converted to M2 by LEA and amnesty registered. I am aware of about 50 done by Minneapolis PD in 68 for the potential riots, amnesty registered and later sold to officers, and these are considered C&R . ( note that MN MGs must be C&R for private possession)   These M2s pop up from time to time here.   Welcome to the confusing world of MG regs.   About the only way to really know what you have is a FOIA request and see when / how it  was originally registered.

I own a straight up m2 inland.  I'll never part with it. Historical, functional, useful, light, tons of parts availability including new 30 round mags.  Not some cobbled together last minute under the amnesty deadline piece of crap.  well thought out full auto design by gm corp.   USGI parts throughout.  Not the perfect machine gun.  However for the weekend warrior to jungle combat it WILL  get the job done.

R/s, Hiller.......................

On 5/29/2021 at 11:59 AM, RON IN PA said:

Must M2 TRip levers be reg to be legal (on their own).?

On their own? No registration needed. 

Combined with the six other M2 specific parts? Yes, one of the seven parts would need to be registered to be legal.

The seven M2 specific parts are: trip lever, selector switch, nine spring, disconnector, disconnector spring, disconnector plunger, M2 hammer. 

-KristopherH

The best M2 Carbine to have, in my opinion, is a registered kit, in which one of the specific M2 parts bears the registration information. 

Edited by MontanaRenegade86