Future of NFA items

goosehunter

Did a search  on this and did not find any results.  Sorry if it has been covered, please point me to the discussion.

With the current administrations view on firearms, is the NFA community concerned about their investments?  The administration has openly stated an expansion of the NFA to include semi-auto and mags 11+.  Has anyone heard about a restriction to currently licensed firearms?

Looking to invest in more NFA firearms for enjoyment, but it would really hurt to have a confiscation of a multi-thousand dollar item.

Thank you for any input.

BG

Don't spend a dime on NFA or anything else unless you are willing to lose that money.  I just went under contract yesterday on another piece of overpriced acreage just to have it.  I may never see a dime of profit from it.  Or maybe my land will be seized and redistributed to those who presumably deserve it more than I.  Or maybe that Chinese rocket booster will fall on my head and kill me.  Has that thing crashed yet anyway?  Think about it but not so much that your head explodes.  As said above, it's all speculation.

Good luck,

Kevin in NC

• Like 1

I mean if you listen to them they want to add more stuff to the NFA, literally a national  registry,  with "burdensome," paperwork and expensive stamps for purchasing  and selling.  I think they would be thrilled to know who, what and where every firearm declared a NFA item is and who would have it.  In addition  they want to increase the NFA stamps price  and tie it to inflation.

Edited by Mojopin

i think that at least on a federal level you have a 35 yr track history (1986- present) to base your decision on.

I think you'll be fine w NFA ...federally .

State wise...highly dependent of course...ask those in Kali or DC or whatnot.

State restrictions is a bigger concern than federal for me at least.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/9/2021 at 8:20 PM, goosehunter said:

Did a search  on this and did not find any results.  Sorry if it has been covered, please point me to the discussion.

With the current administrations view on firearms, is the NFA community concerned about their investments?  The administration has openly stated an expansion of the NFA to include semi-auto and mags 11+.  Has anyone heard about a restriction to currently licensed firearms?

Looking to invest in more NFA firearms for enjoyment, but it would really hurt to have a confiscation of a multi-thousand dollar item.

Thank you for any input.

BG

Read up on the 5th amendment to the US Constitution and the takings clause. https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/takings

Buy whatever you want. Don’t be afraid of confiscation. The constitution protects Americans from governments actions to take personal property.

On 5/9/2021 at 9:30 PM, Kevin Bartlett said:

Don't spend a dime on NFA or anything else unless you are willing to lose that money.  I just went under contract yesterday on another piece of overpriced acreage just to have it.  I may never see a dime of profit from it.  Or maybe my land will be seized and redistributed to those who presumably deserve it more than I.  Or maybe that Chinese rocket booster will fall on my head and kill me.  Has that thing crashed yet anyway?  Think about it but not so much that your head explodes.  As said above, it's all speculation.

Good luck,

Kevin in NC

Don’t live in fear Kevin. Buy what you want guns, land, etc. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rob1 said:

Read up on the 5th amendment to the US Constitution and the takings clause. https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/takings

Buy whatever you want. Don’t be afraid of confiscation. The constitution protects Americans from governments actions to take personal property.

Not so sure about that. This article states a different opinion which is closely related to the issue at question. It is something to think about.

https://scholarship.law.duke.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=3833&context=lcp

Edited by shiklg

5 hours ago, rob1 said:

2 hours ago, shiklg said:

Not so sure about that. This article states a different opinion which is closely related to the issue at question. It is something to think about.

https://scholarship.law.duke.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=3833&context=lcp

Again, this is the reason for posing the question.  Our constitutional rights are up to an opinion of a small court.  As the two articles above illustrate, which way is the wind blowing today?

I've been investing in it for enjoyment as well. I figured that prices will typically remain close to what I paid for and if it goes up then it is a bonus.  So far they have been doing both.. outstripping inflation.  WINNING.

13 hours ago, goosehunter said:

Again, this is the reason for posing the question.  Our constitutional rights are up to an opinion of a small court.  As the two articles above illustrate, which way is the wind blowing today?

Do not believe Americans Constitutional rights are up to the opinion of a small court.

Read these: https://reason.com/volokh/2020/04/08/the-federal-governments-police-power-and-the-takings-clause-part-iii/ and https://reason.com/volokh/2020/04/09/the-federal-governments-police-power-and-the-takings-clause-part-iv/ 

Buy whatever you want.

• 1 month later...

You don’t have to worry about confiscation. 
let’s say they attempted it. Immediately everyone knows via social media, news, TV etc. Everyone hides it, claims they destroyed it, boating accident, robbery etc. Now they have to force it. NATO says 350 to 450 million firearms in the US. Soooooo forced confiscation at 1,000,000 per year would take them 350-450 years to accomplish. No way, not gonna happen. I don’t think NFA is what they would go after first anyway. They can’t lock us all up, no prisons big enough. What department would carry this out? Police departments are too busy with real crime to screw around with us. So, who would actually carry it out? TSA? Lol. 
The money, manpower, logistics and time kills the idea of confiscation.  They can stop transfers or raise the tax, then your stuck with your stuff. Just my thoughts. The number is the problem. 
350,000,000 - 450,000,000 

I often think about this very topic; therefore, I personally think if the Gov/atf wants to really hurt the NFA MG market, they could simply increase the $200 tax stamp to the current inflation from 1934. That would be approximately 4K per tax stamp. That would severely hurt The market. It would kill the suppressor industry. Who knows maybe, just maybe they’ll remove suppressors from the nfa (highly doubt it though). 

They could also target Trusts and Corporations. I’m waiting for a trustee to use one in a crime (I hope that doesn’t happen but when you have one item that any trustee can take somewhere, something bad will eventually will happen). Trusts are the cats meow but I think they’ll end up causing problems. Corps, would be less likely but they could go after them as well. 

Who really knows but I know one Thing, if a transferable is ever used is a mass shooting, they’ll be GONE.