Silencer question

MP5

I have a B&T UMP .45 silencer (Swiss mfg., imported by H&K), which I got about 20 years ago, when I got my post-86 UMP/45.  I hadn't looked at the Form 3 that it is on for quite a while, but recently noticed that it has the red "Limited to use as sales sample" notation in the approved box; it does not say "restricted registration - possession limited to continued compliance with PL 99-308" as one would find on a "Post-86" MG.  So....... what is the legal significance of the "Limited to use as a sales sample" notation on a foreign manufactured silencer  - which was likely imported in the late 1990's -  and is registered on a Form 3?  Is this silencer like a "pre-May Dealer sample" MG, in that it can only go from Dealer to Dealer (but without a "LE Demo Letter") and the Dealer can keep it if he lets his SOT go?  (Though I seriously doubt it was imported prior to 1986.)  I don't know that much about silencers, hoping one of you experts can help out with an answer to this.

When I learned a suppressor was a premay.. I was like What?? 

Then it made sense when they mentioned it was imported before 1986. It's one of those things where I always assumed pre86 only apply to MGs. .but it applies to imported restricted NFA items.

42 minutes ago, Ryo said:

When I learned a suppressor was a premay.. I was like What?? 

Then it made sense when they mentioned it was imported before 1986. It's one of those things where I always assumed pre86 only apply to MGs. .but it applies to imported restricted NFA items.

Well, apparently........ not exactly.  I am pretty sure that the Hughes Act does not apply to silencers. The notation on my late 1990s-ish imported silencer is "Limited to use as a sales sample" which is exactly the same notation as is found on pre-May '86 MG's, despite this being a late-1990s import.  (It does not have the "restricted registration - possession limited to continued compliance with PL 99-308" notation that is found on Post-86 MG's.)  Apparently, these post-1986 imported  silencers are treated like Pre-1986 DS imported MG's.  Anyone else care to chime in on this topic and confirm?

Thanks MP5 for pointing this out. I'm going to do some research on this tonight. I never bothered through with learning more why the silencer was treated like a pre86. I never deal with that market. I just buy suppressors I can sell to the civilian market. Now I'm really curious.

4 hours ago, Ryo said:

Thanks MP5 for pointing this out. I'm going to do some research on this tonight. I never bothered through with learning more why the silencer was treated like a pre86. I never deal with that market. I just buy suppressors I can sell to the civilian market. Now I'm really curious.

Please let us know what you find out, and include links to relevant government info/sources on this subject, if you can.  Thanks!