Virgin Wilson Sten Tube

Mojopin

My understanding is that it is good for a Sten or a Stenling (Sterling with modified cocking slot).  I'm not sure about any others.  Past discussion on this topic indicated that you cannot change the existing cutouts on the tube.  What this means is that you can't change where the magwell is located, or the ejection port, or how the fire control parts mate to the tube.  That kind of limits the build to a Sten or Stenling.  One could probably get creative but you have to play with the tube "as is".  More knowledgeable readers can correct anything that I may have wrong.  I hope that this helps.

Lots of "tube" guns were built.  The tube part is different between the various types.  It's not like there was a one size fits all tube.  

Another point is that the pictures show the tube marked "Taylor" (versus "Wilson" as stated).  Both manufactured tubes before the ban.  I have no knowledge if the tubes are different or if one is regarded as superior to the other - it's just something I saw on the pictures.  

A virgin tube is very cool.  It would be great to have.  Good luck!

This discussion can turn into a shit show real fast. I have seen in person a Swedish K built on a Wilson HF-xxx tube. That’s a no go FOR ME. I have seen in person Wilson HF-xxx Stens and Sterlings and DLO MK2 Sterlings. There was a letter issued by the ATF at one point giving the go ahead to a particular builder to build a Sterling on a MK2 Receiver. I’ve NEVER seen it. The Form the receiver is on usually indicates that it is a MK2 Receiver.... not a specific Sten or Sterling or whatever. After someone has the receiver built into whatever they usually notify the ATF of the change...sometimes the Form its on is updated, sometimes it’s not.

Then there is the issue of the cocking slots. Some argue you cannot change them....yet they are still OK having a Sterling built with the “J” hook welded up???

Like I said this can turn into a shit show fast.

IMHO ... that tube is not worth $12k, now $10k... maybe $5k-$6k.... plus a build. 

Matt

Edited by Labanaktis

Thank you everyone  for repies,  definitely not a area I am knowledgeable about.  The reason I asked was because the opinion on this seems to be somewhat gray at times.  $10,000 is pushing it somewhat for me.  John K is finishing up my Mendia M3 currently,  want to get my knowledge extended for a possible project for the future.