Ryo

Help.. Do I need a MG34 Lock Lever?

8 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Okay.. I was pulling out my MG34 pistol grip to replace a broken retaining spring for the dust cover... and surprisingly discovered there is 2 parts missing.

I'm missing the Locking Lever (or maybe the trigger sear?) and the spring that pushes it up. However my MG34 seems to function without tissues.. question does it do, and do I need them?
I'm assuming I would want to get replacement parts if possible. I hate having missing parts. I bought this MG34 this way and believe the original owner didn't know about the missing parts. He didn't seem like the person who went deeping into the parts.  I only noticed it because I was studying some videos about the pistol grip and notice they had the part.. and I didn't.

The specific parts I'm talking about is C14 and C15 from this diagram.
MG34GCF1_13_grande.jpg

I think I found the part but Sarco called it a MG34 trigger sear. (IMA called it a locking lever)  https://www.sarcoinc.com/mg34-trigger-sear/
If this is the part I need.. then I need to find the spring or toss something that may fit and do the same thing, random guessing the spring tension.

Thanks for the help.

Edited by Ryo

You will also need C16.

I have read that those parts control the rate of fire in the gun. I took them out of my gun when the gun would keep shooting when I let go of the trigger. 100 round test worked perfectly. Test was stopped when ejector plate worked loose again.

BRP has a MG34 trigger vidio. Baum has a MG34 trigger group book.

I saw a 

7 hours ago, gftiv said:

You will also need C16.

I have read that those parts control the rate of fire in the gun. I took them out of my gun when the gun would keep shooting when I let go of the trigger. 100 round test worked perfectly. Test was stopped when ejector plate worked loose again.

BRP has a MG34 trigger vidio. Baum has a MG34 trigger group book.

Thanks for pointing out C16. I totally forgot about that one. I think I'll just order the parts and install to see what happens. Hopefully I won't have the same issue as yours. Just a note that I read that that if the sear spring is weak, it can cause runaway fire.

I saw a video on Forgotten Weapons on the disassembly and assembly of the trigger group.  Really good video. I think that's the video  you were referring to.

I'll have to look up Baum's book. I saw he had a lot of translated books from German. Maybe I'll contact him to see if I can get a bundle package because I've been interested in many of the books like indirect fire, etc.

I had a new sear spring installed for the testing. I cut the sear to get more engagement.

All my stuff is put away right now, so no easy access to look.  Isn't that the charging handle lock?   

1 hour ago, jkb471 said:

All my stuff is put away right now, so no easy access to look.  Isn't that the charging handle lock?   

You mean C16, from photos I've seen, it is a part that is suppose to pop up above the pistol grip. Not sure if it goes into the channel of the charging handle, but it is close..I would need to pull it out later to see.

The missing part C14 I believe is actually a MG-34 trigger safety catch, strangely/interesting that those part have different names associated with them making it even more confusing what they are.. That C16 I even seen called as a plunger which I don't think it is..

In Folke's book the parts are (pg 91):
C14 is Sperrklinke (translates to pawl)
C15 is Schraubenfeder zur Sperrklinke
C16 is Niederdrūcker (Folke described it as the Sear Catch Knob pg 96)

Sounded like in the book it was suppose to fix a specific situation where there was a stoppage after a failure to eject.. 

Seems like I can find C14 at a lot of places, C15 and C16 not so much.  Need to look around more.

This must be the video mentioned above.  The parts are shown at 2:25-3:10 in the video,  Referred to as a "transfer bar".  C14, 15 and 16 are an assembly.  My recollection is that C16 does stick up into the track for the charging handle.  

Yup that was the video. Transfer bar, and alignment pin. Hard part about finding this part is that different places call the parts different things. I found the transfer bar, but not the alignment pin.

Here are some snapshots of the parts.
When I saw this video.. I knew something was different from my pistol grip. Probably don't need them, but prefer to have all the parts since my grip does accommodate the missing parts.

MG34-Missing-Parts.jpg

If anyone has any idea where to get all 3 parts, I would greatly appreciate it.