Auto Sear transfer questions

Platestealer

Howdy! I am new to the forum but have been trying to figure out a logistics question regarding auto sears & MGs.

The state I live in (MN) does not allow auto sears or MGs unless they are C&R; however I live close to the border of Wisconsin which does allow them. Can I legally do a transfer of an auto-sear or MG in Wisconsin even though I am not a resident of WI? Granted, I would ONLY store the auto-sear in WI and NEVER bring it into MN (unless laws changed)?

If there is a way, how do you go about it besides for find a dealer in WI who can do that transfer?

Only if you have property in WI that you occasionally live at.  Note that WI requires a letter from a Sheriff to buy a pistol caliber MG (though in practice I've seen the ATF reject rifle caliber MGs without the letter as well).

ETA, you could also have a friend or relative in WI and a Trust set up in WI that owns the MG.

Edited by b_san

13 minutes ago, b_san said:

Only if you have property in WI that you occasionally live at.  Note that WI requires a letter from a Sheriff to buy a pistol caliber MG (though in practice I've seen the ATF reject rifle caliber MGs without the letter as well).

ETA, you could also have a friend or relative in WI and a Trust set up in WI that owns the MG.

I thought that might be the case, but luckily I do have in-laws that live in WI.  If I did buy one, I would have to So if I did buy one, I would need to buy it, set up a trust with my brother-in-law (WI resident) and myself as trustees, then possibly remove him as trustee after the transfer is complete. Why does MN have to make this so dang difficult...

The other thought would be to do the transfer in Kentucky as a trust because I have a close friend who would be way more comfortable doing it, then can I just move the location of the auto-sear to WI or does that require extra paperwork?

Thank you for the reply. It is helpful

6 minutes ago, Ryo said:

If your moving a MG across state lines, you have to inform the ATF about it.  Since this is likely permanent move you do have to inform them of that. Just another form. Not so hard.

Thank you.

So assuming I find one eventually in another state, I drive there to pay for it and we have a ffl that can deal with them transfer it to another ffl in either Kentucky or Wisconsin, set up the trust, send in the paper work to the ATF, get the tax stamp and depending on whether I set up the transfer in KY or WI, I may have to alert the ATF that I changed permanent location of the item.  Dang....All these hoops to jump through but I now have a plan if I ever get one.

26 minutes ago, Platestealer said:

Thank you.

So assuming I find one eventually in another state, I drive there to pay for it and we have a ffl that can deal with them transfer it to another ffl in either Kentucky or Wisconsin, set up the trust, send in the paper work to the ATF, get the tax stamp and depending on whether I set up the transfer in KY or WI, I may have to alert the ATF that I changed permanent location of the item.  Dang....All these hoops to jump through but I now have a plan if I ever get one.

If its on a form 4, just send it to the final dealer in KY/WI, no need to transfer it twice.

If MN doesnt allow certain MGs how are you planning on bringing it in?

7 hours ago, taylorwso said:

If its on a form 4, just send it to the final dealer in KY/WI, no need to transfer it twice.

No, it will have to stay in WI/KY. Unfortunately I can never legally bring it into MN unless the laws change someday unless it is a C&R MG.

Edit: I live close to the border so I can store it there (I have a few options to store it) and use it there and just never use it in mn 

Edited by Platestealer

I wouldn't plan on moving a MG into WI without a permit/ letter, a 5320.20 is likely to be denied without it.   It's possible a sear might be legal in MN, but I have not read their statutes and you may have to be the test dummy to make it happen?  Or get sears classified as a curio?  What else would you call a $0.30 part that sells for 30K?

Merriam webster definition:  something (such as a decorative object) considered novel, rare, or bizarre : curiosity also : an unusual or bizarre person

Maybe it's us that pay 30K and fits bizzare person more than the object?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, taylorwso said:

Like Taylor said.. Just Form 4 it to the final dealer assuming the owner is not FFL/SOT.  If buying from a FFL/SOT's inventory, it is faster and easier. 

Also no need to drive to the place to transfer the MG.  It isn't under your name so really you can't do anything about it. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ryo said:

Like Taylor said.. Just Form 4 it to the final dealer assuming the owner is not FFL/SOT.  If buying from a FFL/SOT's inventory, it is faster and easier. 

Also no need to drive to the place to transfer the MG.  It isn't under your name so really you can't do anything about it. 

I just don’t know how to go about a sale of something like a MG or auto sear without ever verifying everything in person since it is a good chunk of money. 

1 hour ago, Platestealer said:

I just don’t know how to go about a sale of something like a MG or auto sear without ever verifying everything in person since it is a good chunk of money. 

This is personal preference.  There is a lot of trust evolve when purchasing a MG. So far I've been very fortunate that all my MG purchases I didn't do it in person, but I did do research on the person online... and talked with them on the phone. Majority of them from FFLs, but one was an auction and another a individual. Ones that I feel the MG might not run reliably I would request a video of it being shot. 

However face to face is always the best, but I didn't have the time.

9 hours ago, Platestealer said:

do research, call local dealers

If you really want to know, post on this board. Many a bullshitter has been caught trying to sell fake MGs

I can tell you the first time I sent a large sum of money to buy a MG, I was so nervous. In the end it worked out.

Like Taylor said.. do research. Lots of it. If you buy from a FFL, it is a bit safer since there are things you can verify such as address on their FFL license verifying they are a FFL (always do EZ Check to confirm the document matches what they send you and only mail the check to that address!)

Individual sales are harder since your now researching on name to location, their internet board activity (if you buy from them from a forum), etc. The person I bought from willing sent a copy of their driver's license without me asking. You can ask for references, videos of the MG running (with visible S/N of MG).Do a search of the S/N of the MG for hits, etc. Basically do what ever you can do.

On Sturm there's a fraud post, check there too. It will give ideas how the scammers scam.

• Like 1