WTB HK SP89

flgunguy

45 minutes ago, flgunguy said:

My plan is to get it converted to MP5K.

Just my opinion, but I'd pick up a new SP5k or SP5k-PDW (depending if you want the threaded/3-lug barrel) along with a RCM SP5k bolt carrier and be done with it.  You'll save time and money based on the asking prices I've seen on SP89s lately and what additional work it'll need to bring it to correct MP5k spec.

Yes...that's it.  If you don't want to bother with "adjusting" the grip housing...you can purchase a SP5k-specific housing from HK Parts or other.  I personally picked up a SP5k-PDW to host one of my sears and sold all my "K" clones...couldn't be happier with my "head to toe" German "k." 

One other thing...the SP5k (non-PDW) does not include the flapper mag release like the PDW...but you can also pick up a DIY flapper mag release kit that is plug n play.

Hope that helps...good luck.

2 hours ago, flgunguy said:

Yes you have been very helpful. Sort of annoying the MSRP of that one is under 2800 and all the resellers have been at 4500+...

Buy once...Cry once.  I too had to pay the scalper's bounty.  The (mostly) all German alternative is an SP89 that is just as pricey (or more) with work and time to be done -or- non German parts (barrel) hopefully of quality make and installed correctly.  An SP89 with a factory thread/3-lug barrel installed after the fact is almost never seen...but there are few out there and prices reflect that rarity. 

The SP5k sear work-around is far easier than the full-size SP5.  You have a choice...buy a drop-in F/A spec carrier from RCM -or- send off your semi SP5k carrier to have the sear-trip welded up.  I chose to go with the RCM carrier...it's a quality (tungsten powder-filled) unit that works exactly like it should with a registered sear.  My semi carrier is sitting in the original box never to be used...cause who knows, I might decide to sell on day if this administration decides to turn the faucet off on the importation and the prices reach even crazier levels.  The clone(s) I've used in the past all ran perfectly fine...one or two required German bolt assemblies to get there, but they ran nonetheless.  I picked up the SP5k-PDW because I wanted an all German "k" to go with my all German full-size MP5.

There were (3) SP5k-PDWs which just sold in the last couple days with $4000 BIN prices...they didn't last 24hrs and I seriously considered picking up a 2nd at that price.  It seems some guns have just come in so there's a bunch on GB and prices have actually "settled" a little.  My advice is to be attentive and act fast when the opportunity presents itself.  GB auctions which end during the daytime (working) hours usually don't have the same competition as those that end in the evenings when everyone's off work and can ride the listing to its end.  Don't fret over what your pay vs MSRP to get into what you really want. 

Edited by hkg3k

With the SP89 though you don't get those ugly warning labels, and a regular full auto carrier would work. Plus it's cool that it is made in West Germany. I get the appeal of the SP5K especially since RCM is making compatible full auto bolts and it already has the flapper mag release, so all you would need is that bolt and adjusted trigger housing. And maybe remark it as well. 

Someone did message me about the SP89 so I am waiting for pictures and will talk to him about it. 

21 minutes ago, flgunguy said:

With the SP89 though you don't get those ugly warning labels, and a regular full auto carrier would work. Plus it's cool that it is made in West Germany. I get the appeal of the SP5K especially since RCM is making compatible full auto bolts and it already has the flapper mag release, so all you would need is that bolt and adjusted trigger housing. And maybe remark it as well. 

Someone did message me about the SP89 so I am waiting for pictures and will talk to him about it. 

Yes, tastes and priorities...if everyone's were the same it'd be a pretty boring world.  I personally don't care too much about the markings whether they're a warning label or the "S" vs "M."  Doesn't seem to affect the selling price either.  Good luck with whichever way you decide to go!

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/3/2021 at 7:00 PM, hkg3k said:

Yes, tastes and priorities...if everyone's were the same it'd be a pretty boring world.  I personally don't care too much about the markings whether they're a warning label or the "S" vs "M."  Doesn't seem to affect the selling price either.  Good luck with whichever way you decide to go!

I am taking your advice. I bought the RCM SP5k f/a bolt carrier, and a C&P 4 position trigger housing with sp5k spec cutout. I am now actively looking for the sp5k-pdw because you are correct, it is an all German and cheaper alternative to the SP89. I was in talks to buy a converted SP89 but it did not have the PDW barrel and the converter was unknown, although the stamping was excellent. I will mirror you in setting aside the original semi-carrier and just using the RCM and my sear to enjoy an all German K at the range.

I think an all German HK Sp5k-PDW, AT LOWER COST than the SP89 is the way to go. Due to these new imports, I think the SP89 is one of the few prebans that will go down in value in the coming years or at least stay flat, especially with the ridiculous cost of buying a German PDW barrel to do the SP89 conversion with. 

I don't think you will be disappointed with your decision.  It's a real sh*t sandwich to pay over MSRP on these, but really not any different than paying over sticker on a new (hot) car model.  It's just the way the free market works.  IMO...anything under $4500 in today's market, would be a decent buy.  Good Luck!