Form 4 gun to SOT?

MP5

I've never done one of these but..... I'm contemplating buying a MG that is on a tax paid Form 4 with an individual.  Can that individual transfer that gun directly to an SOT in another state?  Would it be done on a tax paid Form 4?  Or on a Form 3, since it is going to an SOT?  Or...??? How's it work?

Yes you can.. I just did it a few months ago.  Took a lot longer than I expected, but I received it.

Since it is a Form 4, there will be a $200 tax stamp.. it doesn't matter if it is going from individual to a FFL or vice versa. I don't believe SOT is needed since a tax is being paid, but I'm not 100% sure on this. (I have a SOT)

It can be sold on a Form 4 to a FFL in a different state. Just the first page of the Form has to be filled.

When it is approved, just ship it directly to that FFL.

Time it takes I believe it was 3 months. I'd have to look at my records about it.  I believe there is a post about Form 4 to FFL somewhere in the NFA forum.. I recall putting time it took my transfer.

Beauty of a F4 to SOT is only the 1st page needs to be filled out and no signature or pics and prints are required from the SOT so you can fill everything out, put a check in the envelope and mail it off without waiting for any of that other stuff.

Edited by b_san

This is a slightly different situation.  The gun was transferred, almost 30 years ago, to an SOT (from another SOT) on a tax paid Form 4, not sure why that was done, but it was. So now, I am wondering how it would go to another SOT:  on another Form 4, tax paid?  Or can it go from it's current registered owner (an SOT) to another SOT, no tax, on a Form 3?

If the gun is currently registered to the person or entity listed on the current SOT the gun can transfer tax free.  If the current SOT holder has the gun registered personally, and the SOT is a company name or some situation where the name on the SOT and the name on the form do not match there will be a taxable transfer.

Whatever was done in the past....is in the past. HTH

8 hours ago, MP5 said:

This is a slightly different situation.  The gun was transferred, almost 30 years ago, to an SOT (from another SOT) on a tax paid Form 4, not sure why that was done, but it was. So now, I am wondering how it would go to another SOT:  on another Form 4, tax paid?  Or can it go from it's current registered owner (an SOT) to another SOT, no tax, on a Form 3?

A 07 could have let his SOT lapse and them had to pay for the F4. The form used doesn't matter how it will be transferred in the future, only who has possession of it  now.

If the 01/07 has it in their inventory, and they have a current SOT, it can go out on a form 3. It might not be able to go out on a EFORM 3, depends if the ATF added it to the SOTs electronic inventory since it was 30 yag.

3 hours ago, johnsonlmg41 said:

If the gun is currently registered to the person or entity listed on the current SOT the gun can transfer tax free.  If the current SOT holder has the gun registered personally, and the SOT is a company name or some situation where the name on the SOT and the name on the form do not match there will be a taxable transfer.

Whatever was done in the past....is in the past. HTH

To be more clean, if the SOT is a "sole proprietor", then they can transfer personal guns on form 3s.

The name is irrelevant as you can have a FFL DBA as something different from the SP