Need help on HK sear burst pack

flgunguy

So I just got my F4 approval and I go to take out the trigger box from the pack. The part inside that aligns the selector lever got out of alignment somehow and now I fear I may need to bring it to a gunsmith to put back together. Here are a few pictures. Anyone know a qualified person for this in South Florida? Photo-Feb-10-5-41-05-PM.jpg

Edited by flgunguy
  • Like 1

Howdy - Likely an issue with the compression rod out of alignment - very common problem and thank you for stopping and asking before breaking it :)

Does this picture help? 

Carefully realign the compression rod/spring to be flat against the frame and not canted like you see on the NO section. 

Let me know if this helps

20210210_153711.jpg

• Like 1

Looks like you are good to go!

Yes the compression rod pops out like that often. Good luck finding a replacement if it breaks, I have an out of commission burst pack with that exact issue. :(, Thankfully I have 3 others :)

Other good trick is to depress the takedown lever while re-inserting the selector so the little metal catch piece doesn't bend/scrape your selector. The selectors should pop together easily. 

Enjoy your new investment! Now you just need the SD, MP5, MP5k, MP5kPWD, and briefcase to go with it. 

• Like 1

Thank you, I was worried that somehow that thing popping out of alignment messed up the 3rd burst timing. I've got 3 9mm hosts now, just been waiting for this to clear. 

I read that parts for the ambi 3rd burst pack are hard to come by. I can just always get a more common SEF trigger pack and housing, and transfer the sear into it if some part breaks and I can't replace it right?

@flgunguy , I have always just ran SEF packs... to each their own, burst packs are awesome.. but these SEF packs are simple and easy. To answer your question,  If you have a registered sear it can be put in a SEF pack

Aaron - Mohnton, Pa

O2ibqSN.jpg

Edited by Aaron in Mohnton Pa

Robertrtg.com has what you need at the lowest prices.   Burst pack manuals are also available.  Honestly moving the sears around is more difficult than putting the burst pack together IMO.  I think most burst pack parts are broken by people loosing parts and forcing them together, not from wear.  I have mostly burst packs at this point, but I don't move a lot of stuff around.  By far SEF packs are nearly idiot proof, easy to clean, and hands down best for shooters.

Something you should know is that you don't just pop out  a registered friction sear and insert it into a new trigger pack.  Trigger packs need significant modifications to allow  a friction sear to work properly.  Some say there are potential legal issues with owning one sear and multiple "sear ready" trigger packs.  Some good info on the pages at HKpro.com.   There is/was a page on how to insert the selector levers back into a burst pack and there are utube videos that help as well.  Whenever you remove the left selector lever from a burst pack the wheel always goes cattywampus, and as you reinsert it with the lever at the 12 o'clock position you want to wiggle it as you insert it to bring the wheel back to center as the lever slides back through the wheel.   HTH

• Like 1

12 hours ago, flgunguy said:

Yes I just did that and stuck the trigger box back in the pack. This part seems to move out of place easily, is this normal? 

Yes...completely normal in my experience with multiple sears / 4-position packs.  Once the selector is removed...the ratchet wheel kinda "floats," but will go right back into proper position when the selector is re-inserted.

Good luck and enjoy...

IMHO, burst packs look cool, but the simplicity of an SEF pack is hard to beat for most users.

I was never really a fan of HK burst packs until running one on 21e/23e - now I appreciate their usefulness.

The article below has links to videos on assembly/disassembly 

https://www.hkpro.com/threads/ah-the-joy-of-burst-pack-reassembly.475100/ 

The article contains a humorous quote from the author that is dead-on ...

" It only took me five (5) days to reassemble the pack.  This is a pure trial and error learning experience.

All I can say is that the designers of these burst pack were true sadists and children of the devil."

"

That being said,  when burst packs fail, it is usually the compression rod.
FWIW, the spares I keep on hand for burst pack:

- compression rod

- compression rod spring

- ejector levers (cal specific)

- ejector lever spring (easy to loose)

- ejector lever pin (also easy to loose, lol)

- rifle hammer spring

+ complete spare burst pack

Good luck!

-- Matt

Edited by mattnh

I was looking for a spare compression rod.. and couldn't find any in stock.  All I could find are airsoft versions.

I think Spartan needs one for one of his broken trigger packs.

Edited by Ryo

• 2 weeks later...