Selling a Machine gun

90lxracer

Hi all.. 

I have decided to sell the one machine gun I have... it's currently on a form 4 in VA. It just so happens, the person I bought it from was also in VA, it was a trust to trust transfer..I paid him.. I waited.. he calls and hands me the stamp and rifle.. That's the extent of the transfer mechanism.. 

So, I want to make sure i protect myself, and also the person who would be buying the rifle. What should a person selling be aware of, look out for? I want to make sure this process is as smooth as it can be. 

Edited by 90lxracer
  • Like 1

In many ways, the seller holds all the cards.  If you don't transfer the MG until all payments are clear, you will be protected.  It's up to the ATF to approve or disapprove, so that shouldn't bite you either.

I haven't heard of scams being run on the seller unless it involves a partial late payment that really isn't good.  Maybe someone else can fill us in.

On 3/18/2016 at 2:16 PM, jimgraham said:

No real risk as above, so just make sure they have the stamp before handing it over ( and get a copy of said stamp ).

What is it you plan to see  i you dont mind us asking ?

I guess it's just a matter of making sure the form 4 is filled out correctly.. 

So, if it's something that's going out of state, I need to fill out a form that transfers it to their FFL of choice? Then once I get that stamp back I ship it to their FFL? 

As an individual, one would fill out a Form 4 and send it to the ATF with $200 ($5 for AOW transfers) .  This applies to an in-state transaction to an FFL/individual or out-of-state transaction to an FFL.  When the approved form is returned to you, send the item off with the approved form, assuming all payments have cleared.

Again, sellers hold all the cards in this hobby.