FS: Estate-owned M42, Form 4 in NM asking $45k plus ship

daninnm

This MG42 was Form 4'ed in NM in 1981 and the owner shot it years ago but not in recent history.  Stored in gun safe with barrel in separate location.  Barrel has two rust spots on outside; bore appears fine. German marked in very good condition.  One crate of 8mm Mauser ammo goes with the gun at purchase (1000+ rounds); no belts but two post-War German ammunition cans included.  Subject to prior sale at local tactical shop. Reasonable offer will get attention; low balls will not. Email gets you about a  dozen hi resolution pics; phone number for discussion.

buttstoc-bottom.jpg

markings.jpg

rearsight.jpg

topcover.jpg

trigger-RS.jpg

underside.jpg

The MG42 will be staying with Walter Bracken at BMC Tactical in Albuquerque pending transfer on a Form 3 or Form 4.  It is currently in a vault elsewhere and will go to BMC Feb 4 where it can be inspected. Further pictures (20) available only for an email address)  I cannot make any representations regarding rewat or bring back etc. and will leave that to Walter and his staff.  I will post that information here and the other interested parties that contacted me when he tells me what he believes it is.

While I did not see any welds on it I’m not an expert in that department and I will rely of Walter’s eye to make that determination. I do not think it is C&R; no mention of that on the Form 4.

No bipod or tripod or other accessories were found in the estate.  If items are found belonging to the MG42 are found the listing here will be updated.

The manufacturer is not listed on the Form 4; the transferor to the current owner (estate) was a resident of McKinley County, NM.  There is no mention of whether this was a amnesty registered firearm, manufactured, or rewat.

Within limits other specific photos may be requested via email with a few days turn around on those.

Gentlemen: The MG42 has been turned over to Walter Bracken at BMC Tactical  (505) 877-5357 for a detailed inspection and analysis and so that your questions can be answered.  He will field all questions on what this firearm is since he has experts on his staff that will make those determinations and take photos as requested.  I will report that the Form 4 'manufacturer' is reported as "German Manufacture" (the exact words on the form) and presume that means this MG42 is not a rewat or kit gun.  The orignal German serial number on the receiver has been used on the form 4 and there is no alteration to it showing manufacturer other than WWII Waffen.  Thanks for looking.

A lot of confusion can be avoided and sale like this greatly expedited if the pertinent facts and details of the firearm are obtained and posted at the same time the ad is posted.  At that price, the gun would have already been sold!

Edited by maxfaxdude
Better clarity

pretty simple really, a call by the executor to atf to verify the gun will transfer as a C+R and I know a guy that would have bought it already.  Is it a rewat...95% chance that it is if it's C+R, however because of the way they were done it has no effect on value.  The mfr code is significant in that a few of us are looking for the code we are missing....serial number not real relevant.  A couple rust spots on a common $250 barrel isn't particularly relevant unless it is matching, in which case it could ad a couple thousand to the price?  HTH

• 1 month later...

repeating above post.......

Gentlemen: The MG42 has been turned over to Walter Bracken at BMC Tactical  (505) 877-5357 for a detailed inspection and analysis and so that your questions can be answered.  He will field all questions on what this firearm is since he has experts on his staff that will make those determinations and take photos as requested.  I will report that the Form 4 'manufacturer' is reported as "German Manufacture" (the exact words on the form) and presume that means this MG42 is not a rewat or kit gun.  The orignal German serial number on the receiver has been used on the form 4 and there is no alteration to it showing manufacturer other than WWII Waffen.  Thanks for looking.