Shipping Ammo

Ryo

Okay I know the new rules about the end of the use of the ORM-D label for shipping ammunition. I know we now need to use the Limited Quantity label, a diamond shape label with the top and bottom shaded in.  I also know the rules limit the weight that can be shipped to 66lbs.  Is there any other rules?

For example can we ship a crate of surplus ammo and slap the label on it or do we now need to put it in a sturdy cardboard box?  I read somewhere that we now need to box it or maybe it is a UPS thing?

Edited by Ryo

I had 20 crates shipped last fall thru UPS. 6 of them got flagged for an additional fee because they were not in a cardboard box. I just called and asked them to reverse the charge. I shipped thru my non firearms related business... said I’d switch to Fedex... then they reimbursed the additional charges. They were crates of Greek HXP 2 cans of 240 rounds...

hope this helps.

Matt

1 hour ago, Labanaktis said:

I had 20 crates shipped last fall thru UPS. 6 of them got flagged for an additional fee because they were not in a cardboard box. I just called and asked them to reverse the charge. I shipped thru my non firearms related business... said I’d switch to Fedex... then they reimbursed the additional charges. They were crates of Greek HXP 2 cans of 240 rounds...

hope this helps.

Matt

I'm talking about changes that just occur Jan 1st. I do plan to ship through FedEx but not sure if they have a cardboard box rule.  I have 4 crates I'm waiting for to be shipped to me. 

10 minutes ago, Ryo said:

I'm talking about changes that just occur Jan 1st. I do plan to ship through FedEx but not sure if they have a cardboard box rule.  I have 4 crates I'm waiting for to be shipped to me. 

I looked at the FedEx guide and I honestly can't tell for certain if a cardboard box is required to ship ammunition.  :| 
https://www.fedex.com/en-us/service-guide/hazardous-materials/how-to-ship.html

-KristopherH

FedEx requires some sort of class to ship afaik, UPS requires a double box or secured against spillage ie; sealed in bags or in factory boxes, which a crate would be fine. Has to be less than #60 to get the "Simple Rate" which is charged by box size. Both require the triangle tag. I have had great luck shipping ammo lately but only go to about #500 .308 which is under #30. And you must deliver it to a hub or have it picked up.

Okay I just received over the weekend a crate of 8mm Romanian via FedEx. It came through fine with the diamond label.

Guess you don't need to cardboard box it up with FedEx.

Edited by Ryo