Current eForms transfer times?

MP5

I just submitted my very first eForms transfer, a Form 3 to another FFL/SOT.  What is the current expected processing time for these?  Do they send you an email when it is complete, or do you have to keeping logging into the system and looking for it?  (Does it "pop up" somehow when you log in, and let you know it is done/approved?)  I'm new to this eForms stuff, always did it on paper before!  Thanks for any info/advice.

When you Efile you get a “submitted/ In process” email. Then in about seven days you get an “Approved” email with the attached form 3. Keep in mind you can’t see the approved pdf with a mobile email. You will need to access it form a computer or direct email client. FYI 9/10 they approve on a wenesday when the Efile system is down. Gives them a chance to get caught up! Ymmv. 

I submitted a eForm 3 on 12/30.. and still waiting.  Not sure why it is taking so long..  Other people I know have been doing eForms and it takes less than a 2 days. I have heard there has been an up rise of suppressor sales so wondering if that's why it is taking so long!

• 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, MP5 said:

Does anyone have the email address of NFA Branch, to send them info so they can add guns onto an SOT's eforms account inventory?  Any special way that is done?

nfafax@atf.gov

I sent them a form 5 to add personal weapons to my FFL eforms. Took a week or so

you can email sot@atf.gov and ask them but i got multiple different answers

On 1/11/2021 at 9:55 AM, Ryo said:

Finally approved on Sunday.  Took longer than normal.. I heard there was rush to  buy  suppressors before the end of the  year..

This

about the 1 week in december they started getting slow form all the orders after the election, few took week plus, after the 1st week in jan they were back to normal, only taking a couple days at most, last week or so they have been w/n a day.

2 hours ago, taylorwso said:

nfafax@atf.gov

I sent them a form 5 to add personal weapons to my FFL eforms. Took a week or so

Yes, if you call the ATF they'll tell you to file a tax free Form 5, check Other and note add to online inventory.  I have also had luck sending an Ask the Experts question in eForms and then emailing the respondent my F4, YMMV on that.

4 hours ago, b_san said:

Yes, if you call the ATF they'll tell you to file a tax free Form 5, check Other and note add to online inventory.  I have also had luck sending an Ask the Experts question in eForms and then emailing the respondent my F4, YMMV on that.

I posted about this a few months ago but I never got the same answer twice, on the phone, ask the exeperts, by mult emails, all said it cant be done, so I just sent it in and it was approved.

Another eForms question:  On my eForms inventory list, all of the Submachine Guns are listed as "Machine Guns" under Product Type.  Do others see this?  It would seem that they should be listed as SMG not Machine Gun, as they are on the actual original paper forms ..... but maybe this doesn't matter to "the system" or NFA?  Anyone else see this? 

1 hour ago, MP5 said:

Another eForms question:  On my eForms inventory list, all of the Submachine Guns are listed as "Machine Guns" under Product Type.  Do others see this?  It would seem that they should be listed as SMG not Machine Gun, as they are on the actual original paper forms ..... but maybe this doesn't matter to "the system" or NFA?  Anyone else see this? 

machineguns is the term they use, despite whats on the form.

As Ive come to find out, the atf doesnt give a shit if terms /models/calibers dont match, just the serial number.

Nope, there is no "submachine gun" firearms type, machine gun is the correct type for any full auto firearm or conversion device.  Previously, forms were approved with incorrect descriptions, calibers and other issues that are now more closely scrutinized for accuracy.

These are the definitions that matter for NFA:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/26/5845

On 1/28/2021 at 0:32 PM, b_san said:

Nope, there is no "submachine gun" firearms type, machine gun is the correct type for any full auto firearm or conversion device.  Previously, forms were approved with incorrect descriptions, calibers and other issues that are now more closely scrutinized for accuracy.

These are the definitions that matter for NFA:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/26/5845

Great info, thanks! 

Here's a few other eForms questions that maybe someone here can address........ 

1.  What does it mean when a Machine Gun is listed with a Manufacturer of "Form 2 Registration"?  I have a couple in my eForms inventory list that show this, when they are actually transferable guns, currently registered to me on a Form 5.

2.  Why do some guns show, in the Manufacturer column, as "Imported NFA Firearm" when other similar guns (which were also imported at some point, either pre-86 or post-86) show the actual manufacturer, like "Heckler & Koch"?  I have both Pre-86 and some Post-86  MP5s that show as Imported NFA Firearm, while others show as "Heckler & Koch" for the Manufacturer.... and there is no rhyme or reason to it on the eForms inventory list. 

3.  Under Barrel length, what does the "RR" mean when it shows "RR8.85"?

4.  Lastly, what's the best/quickest way to notify NFA Branch of an actual mistake on your eForms Inventory List?  i.e. something like a gun listed in your inventory that you don't have and have never had; or just a plain mistake, like the wrong manufacturer listed ("Colt", when it should be IMI or Uzi, etc) or the wrong Model listed (like "Uzi" when it should be "AR-18").

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate all the good info that I get here.

On 1/27/2021 at 5:10 AM, taylorwso said:

nfafax@atf.gov

If you do a form 5 to add personal weapons to your eforms, how would they transfer out to another SOT? On a form 3 or??