All NFA 07/Sot 02 questions

AReaper

Hello, haven't seen a thread like this and I figured I'd start one. 

I know there are a ton of guys on here that are Dealers and maybe some that are at home based.  For anyone with FFL experience this question is for you. 

I want to get my FFL home based, and i've found a decent sized unrestricted lot but it is zoned undeveloped and not residential,  to get this done would I need a Variance put in place to zone it residential?

Second question,  if I get all of that taken care of and it's a go.  I know you must have a house on a foundation,  no trailers or anything mobile. Would a Quonset hut or something similar anchored to a concrete slab be enough? This Site would be away from my actual home,  a place to escape, do business and even set up a range.  Do you think if I had plumbing,  and electricity it would suffice the needs?

Basically a shop, or workshop for manufacturing. 

Uh.. those are very strange questions and I have no idea of an answer.

I would look at your city zoning laws and see if you're allowed to do business on that plot of land. Getting a FFL and doing business has nothing to do with a house on a foundation, plumbing, etc.

Also why would you want the plot of land to be zoned as residential if you plan to make it a business, unless you plan to live there.

Why not get an FFL where you are now?  Do you have a homeowners association stipulation against home based businesses?   If it is zoning you may be able to get a waiver to do a non-impact home based business.   Usually that means no signage and limited (if any) foot traffic.  Sounds like a lot of work and money the way you are thinking unless you just want to start a business on a specific plot of land.  Zone as a business.  Premise just needs to have secure storage as far as I know.  If you have not done so already just read the ATF regulations.   By themselves they provide enough info for you to follow directions and do everything yourself.  

You will have to check with your local zoning authority to get a good answer.  I had to go round and round with my local guy because he though "manufacturing" was setting up a Colt plant in my garage. When I showed him my scope of operations he approved it.

AFA as a building I've seen guys use a conex next to a house. You don't need plumbing.  I nearly went with the conex setup but I had a garage. The couple I've seen were a conex with a enclosed front glass windows and doors behind the metal doors of the conex. Also had a porch/roof over the front so when you opened the doors, it made a nice semi enclosed porch.

Couple safes in the back with a work area, and a small counter. Made for a nice secure shop.