Hello, new guy with questions on M134 de-mill

Boat Guy

Hello everyone new guy here. I joined this site to ask these questions. I have searched the ATF site and can't find answers, I may be using the wrong words or terms in the search engine but I'm worn out looking and Google'ing.

1) is there a de-mill, (or deactivation process as they say in the UK) for the GAU-2 (M134) mini gun to a condition for display? I see on this site people selling and buying an 80% receivers. What dose  80% mean ?

2) Does ATF have a manual or process to make a GAU-2 receiver 80% like burning a hole in it?

3) Can I or, do I keep it as a C&R after de-mill?

4) Im pretty sure this is a pre 1986, can I make it legal (80%) with out cutting it in 3 pieces? 

Thanks for any help,

Boat Guy     

I think you don't understand what a 80% means.. 80% receivers have never been a firearm, hence legal to own since it is not a firearm. Basically someone took a hunk of metal and milled it to the shape of whatever firearm they are replicating.  For examples an AR-15 80% is basically a AR-15 lower but the pocket where the trigger goes into is not milled out.  ATF would never give you specifications about how to make a 80% receiver into a firearm. Usually you have to look at specification blueprints to determine what work needs to be done.

Since you don't know a lot about these things.. I'm assuming your not a FFL. You can't buy a pre86/premay/pre 1986/pre sample/etc working machine gun. They have to be destroyed to be a parts kit to sell to a non FFL. The likelihood of someone taking a working gatling gun and destroying it for a display is highly unlikely due to the value of it. Note that pre86 machine guns are imported machineguns so I don't think there are any M134 premay.

Since it sounds like your looking for a display.. likely there's a separate market for that for props. I wouldn't look for a real M134 if it will be just a display unless you have lots of money lying around since parts for it are expensive.

Note that these are only my opinions.

Edited by Ryo

• 2 weeks later...