Jap 99 advice needed

Kevin Bartlett

Happy New Year everyone,

I took my Jap 99 out today and it refused to fire. That's embarrassing when a crowd is watching.  Sort of like my old flathead Harley that starts on the first kick when no one else is around but then won't start when others are watching.  Anyway, I've had the gun since 2005, shot it a lot the first few years but it has been sitting in the back of the safe for the past 10 years or so.  The gun is a 7.62 Nato conversion with the original barrel rechambered to 30.06 and the little spacer in the chamber to shoot 7.62.  I don't know who did the conversion but the gun has always run fine.  I'm using converted MG13 mags and converted M14 mags.  It is a rewat and whoever did the reactivation did it right.  Never any indication of headspace issues.  Today it showed absolutely no evidence of primer strike.  The gun is clean.  No gunk in the gas tube or on the op rod.  Locking block moves freely.  Firing pin and bolt clean.  The bolt goes forward with a solid thunk on an empty chamber.  Round chambers and ejects with not even the slightest dimple on the primer.  Of the two bolts I have, this one has greater firing pin protrusion and has always worked.  Ammo is South African.  It must be something simple and I can only think of 3 possibilities.  1) Weak op rod spring.  2) A little bit of gunk or dirt somewhere I missed that keeps the bolt from going fully into battery.  3) The chamber insert...either it has backed out a little preventing full chambering or it has fallen out completely allowing the round to chamber too deeply for a firing pin strike.  Has anyone got any ideas?   I've not contacted Bubba Naess yet.  I'm hoping he see's this.

Thanks,

Kevin in NC

The gun is fixed.  It was a 1 minute fix that took me about an hour to figure out.  The firing pin safety was installed backwards.  It fits in the bolt fine either way and even looks almost the same either way.  Duh.  The day was not a total loss.  We had a delicious lunch and shot skeet afterwards.  The two teenage boys who were there will get their full auto grins and cell phone videos one weekend soon.

Kevin in NC

• Like 1

One of the kids has already shot my Reising and is still grinning a year and a half later.  The other kid will get his day soon.  BTW, they are both excellent skeet shooters.  Young eyes, young reflexes and they both have dads who can afford to buy them top of the line guns while still in high school.

Kevin in NC