Missing my old friend Mike Todd

R.L.

Sitting up here in my 3rd floor office at home, listening to the wind howl (going down to 20 below with the wind chill tonight!!) and missing my old friend Mike Todd.

Life is very short friends and death is the abrupt reminder of how impermanent life really is.

I can remember nights like this in the past, Mike and I would be exchanging PM's for hour's.

Talking about life, the really stupid and fun sxit we both did as much younger guys. Machine guns, women. 

Regrets from the past and present we both had and how we would do things over if we could.

Sometimes life won't allow do overs, and takes you away before you can start.

We all take life for granted, thinking life just goes on forever...at least for us. It's everyone else that does the dying.

Then you lose a close friend, and death becomes more real.

Mike was a diamond in the rough, but one in a million.

No matter how harsh his posts may have been at times, if he went over the line, he always came back to apologize.

We both got into a few pissing matches between us, but always patched things up and moved on.

Most of this harshness was due to the extreme amount of pain meds Mike had to stay on to live some sort of life.

Missing you brother Mike.

Hope you've finally got the peace you deserved.

R.L.

• Like 3

On 12/16/2020 at 5:27 PM, R.L. said:

Sitting up here in my 3rd floor office at home, listening to the wind howl (going down to 20 below with the wind chill tonight!!) and missing my old friend Mike Todd.

Life is very short friends and death is the abrupt reminder of how impermanent life really is.

I can remember nights like this in the past, Mike and I would be exchanging PM's for hour's.

Talking about life, the really stupid and fun sxit we both did as much younger guys. Machine guns, women. 

Regrets from the past and present we both had and how we would do things over if we could.

Sometimes life won't allow do overs, and takes you away before you can start.

We all take life for granted, thinking life just goes on forever...at least for us. It's everyone else that does the dying.

Then you lose a close friend, and death becomes more real.

Mike was a diamond in the rough, but one in a million.

No matter how harsh his posts may have been at times, if he went over the line, he always came back to apologize.

We both got into a few pissing matches between us, but always patched things up and moved on.

Most of this harshness was due to the extreme amount of pain meds Mike had to stay on to live some sort of life.

Missing you brother Mike.

Hope you've finally got the peace you deserved.

When you both meet again, it will be a great time ! Carry on Christian Soldiers. 

• Like 1

RL,  I posted this last week in another thread.

"I was just thinking of Mike today and decided to see what he had posted recently.  I'm sorry to hear of his passing.  He was a good man who was very generous with his time and knowledge.   I really enjoyed our numerous conversations.  What sometimes started out as a quick 10 minute call about an NFA item often turned into an hour or two discussion about growing up, business, friends, family, and where we end up in life.  RIP Mike."    

• Like 1

Unfortunately the old guys, the old guard of this hobby if you wish, are dying off at an accelerated pace.

At least it seems that way to this old guy anyway. 

I've lost a number of good friends and acquaintances in this hobby over the last two years.

Tim Bixler was another knowledgeable and skilled old timer. 

"Bix" made the quietist OTB .308 suppressor on the market IMO.

The Mark 4 and Mark 4-D.

I have one of each and will never sell either.

Every time I use my Mark 4-d it brings back memories of me begging him on the phone to make another run of these, which he graciously did.

I treasure both and the memories.

R.L.

Edited by R.L.
typo

• 4 weeks later...

Few people in this industry that are of the caliber of person that Mike was... he was always unbelievably kind to Me. Every conversation we had he would compliment me one way or another ....or go out of his way to do something nice for me. 
   My last trade deal with Mike. He included more then what we agreed upon in the trade. Never told me, just showed up as a surprise .... that’s the kind of guy he was. 

Aaron

Bte3BbH.jpg

zFRCtg4.jpg

• Like 1

Aaron, I say without reservation that you are a member of the "new guard" and definitely of the same caliber as Mike. Nice to see young people walking the same path of past good guys. 

My dealing with you were always 100% solid You are an honorable young man. Remember life is short.... and in no time you get to be a member of the "old guard" too! Not sure I like that distinction, but not much I can do about it.

Semper Fi,

R.L.

• Like 1

You guys make me wish I knew Mike like you guys do. The only interaction is some posts/advice here and his offer for a MG-34 MG-42: German Universal Machine Guns book. Unfortunately he had health problems during the time and I told him to take care of himself and it wasn't a big deal if he couldn't send it.

As I search for info on MG I run always seem to run into his posts. He certainly was an encyclopedia of MGs. I find his candor refreshing.. none of that political correctness crap.

I have a feeling that will be a thing of the past too... with the filthy commie bastards taking power and working to destroy personal and Constitutional rights!

I can't possibly change at this time in life.. I always say what I think too.. fxck them. I'll say what I think until they break my doors down, and maybe longer depending on the outcome!!!

R.L.

@R.L. .... speaking of smooth deals.... I got a Navy Mk26 mount from you maybe 5-6 years ago...... After scouring the earth,  I finally found a correct matching Naval deck mount that was made for this cradle.... Have the complete system now as found on our US War ships 

zcjqx8e.jpg

l9ZYEik.jpg

8ro9ET9.jpg

1 hour ago, Aaron in Mohnton Pa said:

@R.L. .... speaking of smooth deals.... I got a Navy Mk26 mount from you maybe 5-6 years ago...... After scouring the earth,  I finally found a correct matching Naval deck mount that was made for this cradle.... Have the complete system now as found on our US War ships 

zcjqx8e.jpg

l9ZYEik.jpg

8ro9ET9.jpg

That's a nice looking rig! Yep and I'm glad it went to you, you really dressed that puppy up!