Ammo for Sten MKII

flgunguy

So for a few weeks I have been testing my Sten and it did not do well at all. Constant failure to eject, so I bought two other bolts to try, but I would get the same issues. I tried different mags, different bolts, and different ammo.

Then I tried S&B 115gr ammo and it ran perfectly. This led me to learning that there are stark differences in velocity between some ammo brands. PPU was the worst for me, Aguila was pretty bad, and PMC Bronze was bad as well. I used all of those in 124gr. 

Now I want to try S&B in 124gr. Would I have the same problems? S&B in 115gr makes my sten run perfectly, I am emptying mags with no issues. My Uzi does well with mostly everything, and the bolt seems heavier so I am not sure why the Sten would have more issues than the Uzi.

Newton's third of motion states for every action there is an equal, but opposite reaction.  Your Sten does not have enough "Poop" to cycle the action.  The Brits experienced this also in their Sten silenced 9mm.  The solved it by cutting 4 coils off of the recoil spring.  That balanced the equation for them.

We use Israeli 9mm+P+ ammo that we acquired ears ago at Knob Creek.  This also solves the equation.  We have some extra if you wish to experiment.  If you get some, please don't shoot it in your polymer pistol.  The results could be catastrophic.

Don Wagenknecht

Ozark Armory

Lincoln, MO

660-547-3068

dawandoa@earthlink.net

I am fairly certain the bolt wasn't cycling far back enough. It emptied mags with no issues using S&B 115gr. 

I have a slightly cut down spring and will try it with the ammo that wasn't cycling well soon. Can't remember well but I think I tried on semi and it would not go back far enough. 

That is very odd especially if you bolt moves freely in the tube without the recoil spring in. If thats the case I would be interested to know the condition of your barrel. It is highly possible that the barrel is shot out and not making enough chamber pressure to correctly cycle your bolt.

Edited by eMGunslinger

Barrel is like new, I actually used 3 during testing. Only 1 brand of ammo worked. Bolt slides right in easily, and I tried other bolts. 

After reading more I do think it may be that the spring is too stiff, I just can't try my shorter spring until a week or so.

Could be a mag issue, too. I have only 1 mag that likes Blazer aluminum 115-grain; the rest will get at least one, and often multiple jams per mag. I've had good luck with steel case ammo and most brass case ammo.

At least you have an ammo your gun likes, so guys had to rebuild guns to get them to work I'm told.