Question about post sample machine gun demo letter

ProNFA

After 20 years of keeping flawless records, I accidentally let my FFL expire. Since I don't use my FFL much anymore, rather than renew, I've just decided to give up my license.

I transferred all my inventory to my personal possession; however, I had one post-sample machine gun that I had to sign over to my local police department (I have a good relationship with them).

My question is this: If I sell the machine gun to another SOT FFL dealer, will they need to provide a demo letter, or is a demo letter not necessary because the firearm came from a dealer who forfeited his FFL?

Since you transferred it to a PD, I'm assuming you did it on a tax free form 5?  In which case, if the PD transfers it for you, it's a tax free form 5 going to the new owner. That being said, a very famous class 3 guy went to prison for doing such a thing to avoid paying the $200 on several items.  The purchaser will have to have  Law Letter.