WTB Minimi presample

Aren

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay, I was having a terrible time getting these pictures Downloaded. As far as the price goes I’m willing to Consider Reasonable offers. We paid $65,000 for this gun 20 years ago. It’s in excellent condition, fired very little. I’m happy to answer any questions, and add more photos as necessary. This is a pre-May dealer sample, On a form 3 in Maryland. We e-file and it’s been taking about a week to get the approval. Thanks 

Edited by Tripoli54
Spellcheck screwed me

1 hour ago, Tripoli54 said:

Sorry for the delay, I was having a terrible time getting these pictures Downloaded. As far as the price goes I’m willing to Consider Reasonable offers. We paid $65,000 for this gun 20 years ago. It’s in excellent condition, fired very little. I’m happy to answer any questions, and add more photos as necessary. This is a pre-May dealer sample, On a form 3 in Maryland. We e-file and it’s been taking about a week to get the approval. Thanks 

Are you absolutely certain that it's not transferable if that was the price tag in 2000?

Current fair market value for these is about $20k under what you paid.... 20 years ago

2 hours ago, Sienna Armory said:

Are you absolutely certain that it's not transferable if that was the price tag in 2000?

Current fair market value for these is about $20k under what you paid.... 20 years ago

Do transferable minimi's even exist? I've never seen/heard of one.

2 minutes ago, Tripoli54 said:

You’re saying today a FN 249 pre-sample is worth $45,000 ?

$40-50k, give or take, yes, give it a standard 3-5% margin of error on value.

I can think of 2-3 that have sold on this board in the last year, including my own, that fell within that range.

If you paid $65k for a machine gun 20 years then I would imagine it would have been a rare & desirable transferable and not a pre-86 dealer sample unless you grossly overpaid.

Transferable MAG-58's were at $75k in 2004 for reference.  They're now in the $175-225k range.  

7 minutes ago, jl1577 said:

Yes.

15 minutes ago, jl1577 said:

Dan Shea of Long Mountain Outfitters / Phoenix Defence:

"There is ONE fully transferable factory original M249.

M16s that magically turned into M249s don't count. Dealer sample M249s that some examiner forgot to stamp don't count. The M249 and the Minimi were designed and made after 1968, so none from Belgium could have come in the country before then and been legit, original transferable guns.

I have the factory records on this. There is one transferable. The rest were destroyed. I had that gun, I had a letter from ATF declaring it to be transferable, and I sold that gun a long time ago. It is presently for sale by the owner for $550,000.

Every rumored transferable M249 that I have heard of has been a dead end- either a non-stamped dealer sample- at least one a year that someone calls and says is transferable, they pay 100grand for it after I tell them it's not transferable, they call later when it comes back with "Needs a demo letter" and the guy has already blown the 100grand and can't refund. Once a year that happens.

Factory serial numbers that are a good guideline on M249s:

FN00xxxx means Belgian made, pre-86 dealer sample that was imported by either Guns South in the 16 or 19 they brought in or one of the approx 100 that FNMI imported,

Cxxxxx means commercial US Factory made at FNMI- all after 1986 and all are post 86 dealer samples.....

E000xx is either one of a couple pre samples imported for Engineering at FNMI in 1984, or is the ONE transferable M249 made at FNMI in 1984 - that is the only one that remains."

Selling price in 2003, I am guessing around $18k (I was more into MP5's and M16's at the time). If someone has access to the OLD subguns archives, it will be there!

Here is some info on the FN M249 - Minimi and I believe this is correct, Dan Shea at LMO had the one most folks knew about and he talks about it here in 2006:

I have the factory records on this. There is one transferable. The rest were destroyed. I had that gun, I had a letter from ATF declaring it to be transferable, and I sold that gun a long time ago. It is presently for sale by the owner for $550,000. (circa 2006)

Every rumored transferable M249 that I have heard of has been a dead end- either a non-stamped dealer sample- at least one a year that someone calls and says is transferable, they pay 100grand for it after I tell them it's not transferable, they call later when it comes back with "Needs a demo letter" and the guy has already blown the 100grand and can't refund. Once a year that happens.

Factory serial numbers that are a good guideline on M249s....

FN00xxxx means Belgian made, pre-86 dealer sample that was imported by either Guns South in the 16 or 19 they brought in or one of the approx 100 that FNMI imported,

Cxxxxx means commercial US Factory made at FNMI- all after 1986 and all are post 86 dealer samples.....

E000xx is either one of a couple pre samples imported for Engineering at FNMI in 1984, or is the ONE transferable M249 made at FNMI in 1984 - that is the only one that remains.

There is a rumor of a legit class 2 registering two cut up receivers that he rewelded back before May 1986, but every time someone brags about them, they don't have any contact or proof that these exist. It would be nice to see them.

On 12/8/2020 at 11:54 AM, jl1577 said:

There is only one on the registry, and it has been verified directly with the ATF and documented. I have personally held it, and I know the current owner well.  This gun is obviously not it, not that anyone here was claiming it was.  Just saying though.  Also, it was about 10x as expensive as the numbers we are talking here..

Also, unfortunately $65,000 for a pre sample Minimi 20 years ago was WAY overpriced.  That is overpriced for even now.  I was in the market at one time.

Just my $0.02

Edited by michaelkih
Added information

On 12/9/2020 at 9:03 PM, taylorwso said:

I bought one for 40k 2 months ago, barely used.

FN import

OOW has a minimi for sale right now they rebuilt to 249 specs, with a spare barrel, case, etc - basically brand new for $60K.   With that gun you are paying an extra 20% for the work OOW did and peace of mind that you are buying from OOW.   

ETA:  I have bought many MGs from OOW, there has always been wiggle room in their prices.

minimi.jpg

Edited by bigbore

15 minutes ago, bigbore said:

OOW has a minimi for sale right now they rebuilt to 249 specs, with a spare barrel, case, etc - basically brand new for $60K.   With that gun you are paying an extra 20% for the work OOW did and peace of mind that you are buying from OOW.   

wouldn't that be 50% extra for a rebuilt gun?

Why would anyone do that?

besides changing the barrel/stock, what did they "rebuild" to 249 specs

Edited by taylorwso

16 minutes ago, taylorwso said:

wouldn't that be 50% extra for a rebuilt gun?

Why would anyone do that?

Pre-May guns are getting old, and I remember a dozen years ago when they were whipped on hard because people wanted to spare their transferrables the wear and tear at MG shoots.   The guns getting whooped on today are post samples because the pre mays are getting worn out.   OOW builds M240s and M249s every day.   If they rebuilt that gun, that's as close as anyone is ever going to get to a new MINIMI.  I think $60 is high, but I'd say $50K is not unreasonable.

Edited by bigbore

5 hours ago, bigbore said:

Pre-May guns are getting old, and I remember a dozen years ago when they were whipped on hard because people wanted to spare their transferrables the wear and tear at MG shoots.  

wait, what?

what 249 "transferrebles"?

I get its better to trash a postie, because its much cheaper. Hell you can weld up a receiver and old parts for around a grand.

Just now, taylorwso said:

wait, what?

what 249 "transferrebles"?

I get its better to trash a postie, because its much cheaper. Hell you can weld up a receiver and old parts for around a grand.

Not talking specifically about any MG particular,  just speaking in general about recreational machine gun shooting in the last 20yrs.  If the dude is looking for a pre-sample gun, a post sample probably isn't an option for him.  If he wants a minimi today, he can buy it from OOW.  If he waits it out, he can get one much cheaper.  He may wait a month or a couple years for one to pop up..   

18 hours ago, bigbore said:

Not talking specifically about any MG particular,  just speaking in general about recreational machine gun shooting in the last 20yrs.  If the dude is looking for a pre-sample gun, a post sample probably isn't an option for him.  If he wants a minimi today, he can buy it from OOW.  If he waits it out, he can get one much cheaper.  He may wait a month or a couple years for one to pop up..   

got it