Best way to store original gun boxes

flgunguy

So I have a few NIB preban rifles and I keep the boxes now in a closet stacked where there is airflow between them on the 2nd floor. 

I'd like to keep these in the best shape possible, so is there something I could be doing differently to keep them looking good for the next 5-15 years?

My dad stores his older gun boxes in the rafters of his garage. It's possible they've been up there since 1981, when my parents bought the house. Other than when we shuffled them around in 2003 (cleaning/organization), they haven't been moved since God only knows when. Being up there all these years hasn't really affected their condition. 

-KristopherH

Edited by MontanaRenegade86

I did the same thing ..... stored in dads  garage rafters ...... insects / I think silverfish ....ate most all labels .... ate the label adhesive 

even rats enjoyed the cardboard ....

all had slight damage .... Humid Houston Texas 

18 minutes ago, Buddy H said:

I did the same thing ..... stored in dads  garage rafters ...... insects / I think silverfish ....ate most all labels .... ate the label adhesive 

even rats enjoyed the cardboard ....

all had slight damage .... Humid Houston Texas 

I didn't consider humidity, as we don't have much of it in Montana. :D 

Insects, critters, and bitter cold didn't appear to be too interested in dad's gun boxes. 

As always, your individual mileage may vary. 

Edited by MontanaRenegade86

Here is one of my 40 year old gun boxes .... stored in garage rafters ..... insects ate the marker ink .....

box marked  ..... HK 91 Polygon Bore.  A012953

the old cellophane sealing tape also deteriorated  .....

5A6741BD-AA70-4ECC-B9FC-1C06AB90A893.png

I've had a stereo box for about 25+ years in the garage's I've stored it in as I moved place to place. Overall it is pretty much the same.  Never had any rat issues so no damages to my boxes. Stickers and such has faded or adhesives started to fail (packaging tape for example leaves residue). My firearm boxes 13+ years seem like they are still in good condition.

I say no to garages and attics. Between heat, humidity, bugs, rodents, etc..  Heat makes the labels detach from the boxes as well. I store them empty in thick black plastic contractor bags which are twisty tied shut in a spare closet. Seems most people like to get the original box with their guns. Anymore, I just look at them as an encumbrance and don't care about the box.  One more thing to safely store and take care of.