Are SBR's Still worth it

ironbb

I have both.  Pros and cons to both.  Just in case....Simple ATF change of mind makes all those braces go away (subject to seizure and or destruction without compensation) just like bump stocks : (

At least the SBR's have 86 years of lawful precedent...tax paid, federal permission, etc. For the purist, a stock looks better than a brace. Electronic Form 1's get approved in a much shorter amount of time than a mail in Form 4. 

If you can't afford it.. then keep with the brace. There's nothing wrong with a brace. They are not as comfortable as a real stock but they work. Then in the future when you have the money you can decide which of your pistols you want to turn into a SBR.

Just remember you can't just add a brace to a rifle and call it a pistol if you bought it as a rifle.

The practical difference is that a pistol with a brace is easy to transport across state lines and may or may not be easier to take to some legal jurisdictions (I don't travel to the NorthEast or California so, not a real concern personally).

An SBR is a rifle and may have local restrictions in various legal jurisdictions that may or may not exist for an AR-15 style pistol.  You also need 'travel' paperwork to go across state lines.

The $200 tax for the Form1 or 4 is not the biggest factor IMHO.  Think about why you are doing the SBR and how you will use it.  Then, whether a real stock or pistol braces is better for you will become apparent.  It is worth noting that I went 'backwards' in that I started with the SBR and later added a pistol because I can 'walk around' with my pistol where I cannot with my rifle.