.303 Identification

w8d4it

Hello, new member here.  I could use some help please.  A few years ago (I think in 2009) I bought an unopened case of .303 ammo.  I think it is South African, pretty sure 1300 rounds.  I never opened the case because I still haven't used up my open .303 ammo. Now I'm thinking of selling off the unopened case but I can't remember exactly what is in it. I don't want to open the sealed steel case because I figure the ammo is worth more if its in the original unsealed can.  Can anyone identify the ammo, the country of manufacture from the unopened can.  Probably not, but I figure its worth asking.  The only identification on the can is a capital D with either i6 or 16 inside the D.  

IMG-3697.jpg

IMG-3696.jpg

I texted a friend of mine that sold a LOT of .303 ammo ....... He texted this back ...

British pattern can...could be U.K. mfg, South African, Canadian, or other Commonwealth nation.  1300rds? No way!  More like 288rds. You can weigh it and see. .... 1300 rds would weigh 80-100 pounds ...
Sealed is nice, but Buyers would need to see what They are buying. Open it! 
Could be boxer primed Canadian NICE! +++. Could be rotten Indian mfg, big minus. 

Buddy H your suggestion of weighing the unopened tin is very helpful, as is your entire post.  Thanks very much!   I just weighed the unopened tin.  80.5 pounds on my bathroom scales! I have several letters on on my computer a letter which accompanied payment for .303 I was buying.  But I couldn't tell which went with what ammo.  One of the letters states I'm buying 1300 rounds of South African manufactured in the 1980s.   So your suggestion along with the weight confirms my thought that it was the South African.  Do you (or anyone else) have any idea of the value of 1300 rounds of .303 South African?

I'm really hesitant to open the can as I think that increases the value.  Given that I now it is the South African, do you still advise opening it?  

Edited by w8d4it
clarification

follow up text from friend .....

” Date unknown, mfg 1940s, vs 1970s ...condition unknown...50cents/rd max for the whole can.  More $ if sold in smaller lots.  It is still a mystery can as far as exact content.“

“   It could be the Noncorrosive 1970s 7.7x57R SA  .303...worth PLENTY more.....again, open it!  “
” The weight is right for 1300 rounds (100rds of .303 =6 lbs x 13 is 78 lbs)
1300 rds is suggestive of 50rd boxes of 1970s NC SA 7.7x57R .303.  My best guess. “