How to get a 22 kit for the uzi to run.

Thumpy

I just got my kit last week Sunday I took it out to play with it and would get a good 10 rnd burst here or there but most of the time spent with it was clearing stove pipes. Any of you fellas have any idea on how to get it to work? I tried about 6 different kinds of ammo nun seemed better then the next.

THUMPY, i have maybe 6 .22 kits in all. the IMI runs like it should with all mags including the 40 rnd . one vector /group works with the 20's and a couple of the 32/35? . the other vector only works with 20's . I suspect the main culprit to be mag spring tension or presentation. if the round is offered too soon it will be forced back in the feed lips and be pointed down. too late and the bolt will strike the case . use the case as a guide. near the bullet is late and the rim early.  that may help. if you act fast , a quick stretch will speed up the feed for a short while until it finds its home again. I found the original 40's during one of my spree's in the late 70's and the quality show's as all factory goods will. I use them to judge the other mags in the pile and there are plenty of low class out there.  also at this point cant say how I have mixed other parts . I will close with the fact that both FACTORY IMI SMG KITS WORKED AS PACKAGED .  have fun! mike

• 1 month later...

Well for what it is worth here are some of my observations using my Group Industries UZI with .22 kits.  Is your Group kit fixed or floating firing pin?  If you have multiple recoil springs it might be a good idea to determine which are heavy or lighter.  Trimming coils has not worked well for me but varying spring poundage has.  To test them just remove bolt and spring, place buffer pad on bathroom scale, slide bolt onto rod/spring, push down, and note the poundage.  I have one that runs 7lb and another running 12lb.  I try to stick with the steel body Group magazines or BWE steel with polymer liners.  Black Dogs have not run well for me.  As mentioned look up those tuning tips and do the suggested tests and tweaks.  My tests were done both suppressed and un-suppressed with similar results.  I just bought one of Joe's Subgun Ordnance kits and will discuss it here as well.  Ammo shown ran pretty much 100% on semi and full with controlled bursts and no run-aways:

Group Industries floating firing pin and 7 lb spring 

CCI Standard Velocity 22LR 40 Gn lead round nose 1070 fps , super quiet with can and ROF seemed similar to 9mm (got a butt load of this ammo so happy it worked)

Group Industries fixed firing pin and 7 lb spring 

CCI Mini Mag 22 LRHP 36 Gr, 1260 fps, 

Joe's Subgun Ordnance kit and 12 lb spring

CCI Mini Mag 22 LRHP 36 Gr, 1260 fps,

CCI Stinger 22 LR HP 32Gr 1640, very loud and tough ammo to find

Winchester Super Speed 40 Gr RM copper plated, 1300 fps

Remington Thunderbolt 40 Gr, 1255 fps, RN lead ran more like 80-90% but not terrible

Sorry for the long post, but I know how frustrating it can be sometimes getting these conversions to work.  Hope this helps.

scale.jpg

mag.jpg