Best First MG for Under 15k

TheDude1647

So I have been MG shopping lately and although I have shot a good amount of them I have never owned one. So if you had a budget of 15k what would you all consider the best first purchase? I am 01/SOT so I can jump into the pre-sample market as well. Really looking for a belt fed, but I am open to anything. Biggest thing I want is something that is fun to shoot, doesn't need to be mega reliable or the most ergonomic thing on the planet. If anything I enjoy keeping stuff running more than actually shooting. Curious to see what the opinions are!

With the 15k parameter, I would go with an Uzi full size, full spec RR.  Its robust, fun, EZ to change up the cycle rate, lots of available parts and its a great gun to let friends that have never shot FA,  enjoy safely. I NEVER let newbies shoot my macs.

Hope this helps!

^^^do not get a 1919 as your first machine gun. For the love of God...even if you can get one within your budget. 1919 isnt a budget gun- you'll spend piles of $ on ammo , spare parts , links, linkers, mounts, cal conversions, accessories.

But the main reason is bc its large, heavy, and not something you'll take out nearly as often as a shoulder fired MG. But if you are stuck on a beltfed...then its a great first beltfed to get. Its just a terrible first MG to get IMO. Beltfeds require a lot of knowledge and skill and experience to keep running properly etc . There's nothing budget friendly in beltfed ownership assuming you are shooting it a lot. For example at OFASTS a couple months ago I blew through 7,000 rnds on beltfeds...because of beltfeds actually. 4,000 of that was thru a 1919 shorty ...in less than 10 hrs. They just chew thru ammo like crazy...and barrels accordingly. You need mounts ---not just the stupid ground sit down in the mud tripods either...you'll want a nice comfy stand up mount- bam!  Another $1,000+ spent. etc etc. 

Start off with with a SMG or rifle I say. Be normal. Get an Uzi, Mac 11/0 w Lage upper, a lightning link for your AR15, FNC  - all fall in your $15k budget. Or stretch your budget for AR15 reg rec, Tommy. Unfortunately the next step up the price range is HK world which starts in the mid $20ks  and even then you'll wish you had a $30k sear.

Dont get a beltfed for your first machine gun dude. Dont do it. 

With all due repect, as only you can determine your financial restraints, I would strongly encourage you to try to extend your buying power closer to 20K (sell some stuff, relatives,etc) and get an M16 type weapon. At that price point more than likely a converted AR15. Why:

1-parts ALL over the place and will be more quite a while.

2-Get a bad round, the registered lower seldom gets hurt.

3-From the basic M16 you can get into: 9mm....45ACP...300BO....beltfed 5,56....22lr,,,,5.7 with the mag-on-top setup...who knows what else is coming down the invention road.

Careful shopping, aided by luck, will get you a converted AR15 at that price point.

Good luck!

Okrana

Building upon okrana suggestion of an M16:
Getting a full auto AR-15 might be the way to go for what you want since the prices start from $16k to $20k.  Bit above your price range, but it does add some interesting options. You can shoot full auto in different calibers by changing uppers. You can buy a FightLite belt fed upper in the future to get you belt fed craving (they fall around $3-5k new depending where you find it).

If we keep belt fed off the table, a nice subgun is fun. Your price range hits a few fun ones. such as:

1. Reising Model 50: Remarkably very low in price for what it is. If get a good running one. Do the inertial firing pin mod to keep it happy. It doesn't look super sexy, but it is fun.
  2. Uzi: 
  3. MAC: Lage Manufacturing offers different conversions for it which is pretty neat. THey treat the MAC as a trigger housing and build upon it to get different calibers. I would personally look at the M11/9 or M11A1. I recommend reading up on it before buying.

On 7/28/2020 at 0:39 PM, TheDude1647 said:

So I have been MG shopping lately and although I have shot a good amount of them I have never owned one. So if you had a budget of 15k what would you all consider the best first purchase? I am 01/SOT so I can jump into the pre-sample market as well. Really looking for a belt fed, but I am open to anything. Biggest thing I want is something that is fun to shoot, doesn't need to be mega reliable or the most ergonomic thing on the planet. If anything I enjoy keeping stuff running more than actually shooting. Curious to see what the opinions are!

For a shooter I would say an UZI. If you want a belt fed and like tinkering then maybe a Pre sample MG-34

For a transferable, the Uzi is hard to beat. You might even have a little bit of money left over for some ammo and accessories.

I can't recommend any Pre-samples, as I am not a Dealer. That being said, if I ever take the plunge, my first buy is going to be a G1 FAL. 

-KristopherH

So I guess I should have prefaced the belt fed comment with the obligatory I own a half dozen semi only ones. Including a 1919 and M3 so I am covered in terms of spares, barrels, links, ammo, and tripods. I have a proper M3 tripod, an MG3 AA mount, and a buffered Israeli MAG-58 tripod. Only thing I don't really have on hand are dedicated linkers for each gun. Also I spend way more time tinkering with my toys than I do shooting, hence my preference for mechanically complicated but interesting operating mechanisms. Having the time and space to get one just right is a good part of the fun for me.

I am sincerely leaning towards a transferable or pre-sample Uzi or possibly save up for the AR-15 suggestion, which is always a popular choice and I can keep one running forever. But the nagging sensation is telling me to snag up one of the MG34 pre-samples that seem to be available at the current time.

Also is there a particular reason to avoid a MAC if the plan is to either buy it with or immediately purchase a Lage upper?

Thank you all so much for your time and suggestions!

Edited by TheDude1647

MG34 is nice but ammo prices are way up.  Gone are the day of large surplus cheap 8mm ammo. Run a belt, expect to pay $25..  Though you could convert to 308.. But that can be expensive and a lot of fiddling to get it to run properly from what I hear. 

Can't see why you shouldn't look at a MAC or M11 especially with a Lage. 

I would assume a 75 year old gun would be cantankerous at the best of times, add on a belt feed mech and it could be a real chore. Which is part of the reason it intrigues me so much lol.

I have a good supply of new commercial FMJ 8mm that I bought for my SMG FG42 back before this current panic as well.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Swedish K is where I would start today.  Simply a lot of fun.  Not sure what they cost as a pre-sample but, transferables turn up for $16K with a lot of goodies thrown in.

An M1/M2 conversion would be another one to consider.

I'm not sure what a pre-sample MP-5 costs today but, I shot a German import F-spec MP-5 and it will really spoil you for what a modern full-auto should be like.  It is simply the smoothest and easiest to control full-auto i have ever used.

My M-16 and Uzi SMG are a lot of fun but, nowhere near the "GOODNESS" of a factory spec MP-5 IMHO.  While a belt-fed might be fun for a while I would still prefer the MP-5 over any belt-fed option if I'm looking for a shooter.  MP-5's are something you can also share with someone new to full-auto as they are so easy to control.  Plus 9mm is a lot cheaper than any belt-fed caliber choice and you simply won't chew through cases of ammo as fast with 30 round mags versus 100 round belts.

All that being said, today I'm looking for a Swedish K and possibly an M2 carbine on the transferable market because HK options are simply priced into the stratosphere and the cost of ownership for any of the belt-feds are too high for me to enjoy with any regularity.

Edited by Sid Post
auto-correct

19 hours ago, Sid Post said:

Swedish K is where I would start today.  Simply a lot of fun.  Not sure what they cost as a pre-sample but, transferables turn up for $16K with a lot of goodies thrown in.

An M1/M2 conversion would be another one to consider.

I'm not sure what a pre-sample MP-5 costs today but, I shot a German import F-spec MP-5 and it will really spoil you for what a modern full-auto should be like.  It is simply the smoothest and easiest to control full-auto i have ever used.

My M-16 and Uzi SMG are a lot of fun but, nowhere near the "GOODNESS" of a factory spec MP-5 IMHO.  While a belt-fed might be fun for a while I would still prefer the MP-5 over any belt-fed option if I'm looking for a shooter.  MP-5's are something you can also share with someone new to full-auto as they are so easy to control.  Plus 9mm is a lot cheaper than any belt-fed caliber choice and you simply won't chew through cases of ammo as fast with 30 round mags versus 100 round belts.

All that being said, today I'm looking for a Swedish K and possibly an M2 carbine on the transferable market because HK options are simply priced into the stratosphere and the cost of ownership for any of the belt-feds are too high for me to enjoy with any regularity.

I certainly love my MP5 over my FA AR-15.

Premay MP5 I have seen from $13k to $15k

$15k?  Get a pre-sample Uzi and a Ruger shorty AC556 with the Ciener .22 conversion.  There's your $15k.  More than 1 gun (because you will want more than one) and you have a rifle caliber, a sub gun, and a .22.  Back when I had a AC556 it ALWAYS ran and the .22 kit worked very well.  The .22s shoot very fast but still cheap fun.  You can dress up the Uzi in various stock configurations, mess with the cyclic rate, add suppressor, etc.  You can add a full stock to the AC556.  Buy parts kits for each.  Buy ammo.  Have fun.

I'm not a big fan with the 9mm conversion on the M16.  M16s are very versatile and some owners really use that to create lots of different platforms.  The Shrike beltfed upper is cool and you can spend $ on extra barrels, ammo, optics, ammo... and ammo.  

Lots of options.  Get something and then if your tastes evolve sell it and change up your stable.  I've been fortunate to own and try MANY over the years.  There were many times that I said "I'm keeping this one" and they are gone when opportunity or tastes changed.  My trusty Swedish K has survived with me over many years.  Beltfeds,  LMG, etc are all fun and they've had their moments, but they are all gone today.  Don't think about it as getting your "forever" gun.  Test the water with one and change it out later if you get lust for another.  Unlike marriage, you won't lose half of everything you own when you swap out later.  :)

• 1 year later...