MG08/15 in the Attic

TheDude1647

So hypothetically say a Navy buddy of mine found a live MG08/15 in an attic in Houston and the buddy in question is confident no paperwork exists. Can he cut the right side plate apart without running afoul of the NFA? If he hypothetically were to torch the plate apart is there anything on the right plate he should take care to avoid from a parts kit standpoint?

Anyone know anyone in Houston that could potentially help with destroying the plate and not the rest of the parts?

Is he going to run afoul by attempting to destroy the right plate?

Having an 08/15 myself you caught  my attention.  Mine is not it the attic.  Several years ago there was a lot of discussion here about which side plate that ATF considered to be the controlled part.  Seems like it was the left plate on MG08 but the right plate on MG 08/15?  Or maybe the other way around?  Or maybe it was one side on Monday, Wednesday and Friday and the other side on Tuesday and Thursday?  All kidding aside, I don't remember exactly what the verdict was. Your hypothetical Navy buddy should do nothing before he gets an expert opinion.  Contact Bob Naess at Black River Militaria.  When it comes to machine guns he knows more than the ATF ever knew.

Good luck,

Kevin in NC

USN/USNR Retired, non-hypothetical

• Like 1