First MG Purchase

PFC_FMJ

I am looking to get into my 1st Machine Gun. I’ve gone through the NFA process many times, but first MG. 

Question, looking for resources on MACs and Uzis. Registered bolt vs. receiver, which Mac is a good for me, what to stay away from, etc. Any help is much appreciated. 

EDIT: Thanks for the responses. With a MAC, I would definitely go the Lage route. With the M11A1s stamped .380, am I good with ATF to get a 9mm upper? It will be a transferable.

Edited by PFC_FMJ

I'm assuming your looking at transferable MGs, not pre86.
If you're trying to keep to the lower priced MGs, then I would look at the MACs for the versatility over the Uzi. If it was Uzi vs stock only MAC I would go with Uzi, but MACs have a trump card.. Lage Manufacturing make some awesome conversions for the MACs. Lage conversion allow you to run different caliber (9mm, 5.56, etc), different magazines, etc.

Personally I would look at the either the M11/9mm or the M11A1 (large grip). Note the reference large grip is to the magazine well size. If I hadn't blown all my budget on a couple of other MGs, I would have gotten a M11A1 because they are so tiny and cute. I think many people would recommend the M11/9mm.

Warning.. once you get one you can't stop..

Edited by Ryo
  • Like 1

if you can handle the entry level pricing, I would suggest a registered receiver UZI . you can get all the "real" parts you want at reasonable prices. lets face it used surplus almost always outlasts first rate commercial. some things are made to sell and others made to USE! the reg'td receiver allows a quick cal change, drop in replacement bolts, sears anything you can imagine. while other board members claim good service with "bolt guns" that has not been my experience, i would do without first.  as "user's" I consider my POWDER SPRINGS and RPD macs to be equal . many examples were just remarked after the auction and are the same in quality . prefer the .45 in the MACS mainly because of the magazine issue , but do enjoy the extra splash of the 230 .45 over the 9mm. make sure you have metal mags if 9mm in either the WALTHER or early copies. FTH did make a new run and all mine have worked to date but I still prefer the smoother MPL mags and use them when I shoot. I the M-11/9 and almost gave up on it until I scored a HUGE box of metal mags,  the plastic are junk and will not last .all I get from the LAGE stuff is more edges that cut me so old it all off after the first use. others seem to enjoy it so its going to be personal taste. i believe a MAC-10 the better gun.  as I have expressed many times here on the board, my second choice subgun shooter is the REISING but good mags are getting very hard to find.

• Like 2

Since Mike brought up the Reising... I just shot my Reising Model 50 for the first time on Sunday..  Man.. that is a fun one. Sadly I only had time for 2 mag runs. Magazines for them are expensive.. I have only one and need to buy more (if I can find them!) so I don't have to reload every time I go to the range.

I think it's so underrated and they can be gotten for a great price. Just be sure to to do the inertia pin mod if you do go that route. This way you can avoid broken pins.. I modded mine and it ran perfect.

Edited by Ryo
  • Like 1

I actually prefer 45 in my UZI with the conversion kit to the Reising or Mac10, the only drawback is 16 round expensive mags but Grease Gun UZI lowers occasionally pop-up if you watch GB and forums. The M3A1 Grease Gun bests them all, though, especially with an AWC MK9 OSS integral barrel suppressor.  If we're talking 9mm, again the UZI is hard to beat, put an over the barrel Gemtech Mossad II (GSL is remaking them as the Jericho) on it and clack away.  I'm just not a Mac fan (and the less said of the Reising the better...) regardless of the uppers and like the UZI with caliber kits (22lr available too but some tweaking required) for a 1st or only SMG.  In the end, though, not many people end up only owning a single machine gun.

Edited by b_san

after more than 45 years of heavy REISING use, I want to thank all the guys that give them a bad rep. it has allowed me and many others to enjoy one of the best buys in the NFA market. yes many are not reliable. they have laid unused and all the grease is hard and many springs are gummed up or collapsed. when CLEAN and with good springs they will run all day.  many decent designs that failed in military service make great recreational machine guns and are fantastic buys. for some reason magazines have all but disappeared and they are now expensive so somebody is using them. I also prefer the UZI in 45. standard ball is subsonic and that 230 gr bullet displays better down range. I am a BIG fan of slow firing MG's and really enjoy my GREASE GUN but every time I take it out I feel guilty. they are just too expensive and not replaceable. when that back end hammers out there is no legit fix and its inevitable. any decent UZI is at least $11k but more like $13 or so these days and there are several REISINGS just over $5k in todays market. while I have not, many people have used the new CHRISTIES 30 rnd mags for the REISING and swear the work well.  my MACS take anything I can give them. easy to fix and they run. again I prefer them in .45 because of the mag situation.  and the STEN will always be a contender for many