MG34 questions.. (becoming a 8mm ammo list)

Ryo

I have been trying to study more about the MG34.. There are 2 topics I'm trying to decipher from all that I am reading.

1. Maintenance:
I'm just starting to read about maintenance.  I got picked up a translated manual but haven't gotten a chance to dive in to it. This got me thinking what type of tools do I need to maintain it? I have general tool like punches, wrenches, vice, etc.. but not some of the dedicated tools that I saw in Robert Segels's Machine Gun Support Equipment with the ammo can maintenance kit the German soldiers were issue.

Also is there a any specific parts I should have spares of in case of breakage/malfunctions?

2. Surplus Ammo:
This is the big one for me since I need to buy some.. Since good surplus ammo is drying up, it is starting to be limited to only a few brands of "cheap" surplus. Since I don't want to damage the MG34, I was wondering what ammo have you guys been using with success. I've been looking at forums, YouTube, Forgotten Weapons ammo reviews, etc. All the reviews seen on YouTube were 90% about shooting it out of a bolt rifle.
Side note: Mike brought up a good point about condition of ammunition due to storage.
So this is what I've been looking at: 

• Romanian Surplus (corrosive): Red lacquer is good, but green lacquer is bad. Haven't seen any store selling them. :(
    Newer Romanian surplus have a shorter OAL, which causes may cause problems in Vickers, MG08s, and Brownings.
  • Portuguese Surplus: "Portuguese Ss heavy ball from the 1970s and 80s, if in good condition, duplicates the original German load, and works well." - Mike. He also mentioned that he did have some bad stuff but the wood crates looked more worn due to not well maintain storage.
  • PPU: Expensive but new. Might be underpowered compared to surplus.
  • PPU Surplus: Possibly Good
  • FedArm (corrosive, though they mark them as non-corrosive): Cheapest around but I read Mike wouldn't put it in his due to it being surplus parts put together.  One video I saw on it showed the box which has made in Russia and the website does state that it is mixed components.  The casing  can be different.
    Found videos of people shooting it and everyone went bang and velocity fell around 2400 fps, which is a positive thing.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3J0uMsISFkA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BY1sXS4ZFY
    ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jG-LWtdPaHQ
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfPvFmav8WQ
    So I bought some FedArms. Apparently they do reuse components and mark the side of the case with their information "8x57 IS FA". Opened one box of 20 to look at the headstamps. They all have "dou" markings, all with "41" which I am assuming is 1941. The other 2 marking vary.. IXg1, VIIIg1, or St. The other marking is a number 10,11,12,18, or 19.  The primers look original, crimped in.. so makes me wonder if they are will go bang. It will be a while until I can test it.
    I found another one.. has copper jacket bullet.. "P25" markings, 1940. This one has less rust in it than the "dou". 

I found a website talking about it.. showing different photos of the ammo you get from them.https://forum.cartridgecollectors.org/t/techcrim-russian-8x57-is/26508/70 
    Based on the different ammunition you can get.. it could be luck of the draw on the lot you get.Note that the shipping box both rounds were shipped in has the same lot # sticker inside the box!
  • Ethiopian Surplus (corrosive): Read it was decent with good annealing but some may have poor ignition (but that was in bolt rifles). Videos show them not firing (25% failure). Some show a bit of hang firing.
  • Egyptian Surplus (corrosive): Seems like there was some decent reviews on it but not much detail
  • Serbian M75 Surplus (corrosive): One video had a guy said it was good in his bolt rifle.
  • Israeli Surplus: Mike mentioned it was hit and miss due to hot weather storage and primers.
  • Hotshot: might be good.
  • Yugo Surplus (corrosive): bad reputation? Read someone had case cracking (occurred in a bolt rifle), unsure of year of round.
        Read the Yugo were good with date stamp within the 1950's but read the 1954 is rumored to be bad.
        Read a person with Yugo 1955 ammo cracked his receiver.
        YouTube had a guy shooting 1953 Yugo, about half failed to fire in his Yugo Mauser, chrono at 2300-2400, Kar 98a had no failures, chrono at 2100-2300
        Someone said '70s Yugo ran fine in their MG34.
  • IRAN / SYRIA: Mike had good results with it even though likely they were stored in high heat.

Bad Ammo (or possible bad ammo)

• Turkish ammo (corrosive): BAD BAD BAD BAD! Overpressure, can damage firearm.
  • Greek (corrosive): Mike says stay away from. Though someone here said they shot '40s through their MG34 just fine.
  • Romanian Surplus (corrosive): Green lacquer I heard was bad, but haven't gotten confirmation
  • South American: Mike ran into some booby trapped ammo that destroyed but sounded like they were not factory looking ammo.
  • Ecuadorian (corrosive): Read some are good batches while some have bad batches. If bad batch then possibly 50/50 due to bad primers. Someone said it is higher pressure than other surplus due to primer flattening. 
    Haakster mention Ecuadorian 7,9 amo was loaded under contract in Argentina for Ecuador in the 1950's. They were 198gr, but they have ignition problems from dying primers. Some have reported no problem, but he recommends to avoid for MGs.
    Another report of many primers failing to ignite.
  • Chinese 1952 "45" or "L45" headstamp with the red sealant has hang files or bad primers.

Also what about reloading?  Do any of you guys do that?

Edited by Ryo
Updating Ammo list.
  • Like 2

All you probably need are a spare bolt or two, firing pin springs, and mainspring.     As for ammo, all I've shot is pre-1940 german and czech, and while I have yugo and romy  I haven't broken into the new stuff like that.  Yes, stay away from the turk.  I've not seen some of the others you mentioned, but if I had none, I'd start with the romy and if not available maybe try the PPU.  If you see any ammo that fails to fire one round out of a bolt rifle, odds are it will never run in a 34.

I have several of the armorers tool kits, and while cool, they are not necessary for the most part unless you are going to tear it way down or need to adjust your patronentrommel 34 tension, which very few of us have, and fewer adjust.  Spare 34 parts are everywhere and if you did break something it's no problem finding it, and they are currently making more so there is no shortage. 

You're going to see tons of stories about guys switching bolts/ barrels and all kinds of other parts to get their guns going.  It's not that complicated, buy good parts and good ammo and problems will be minimized.  Swapping out 6 bolts/ barrel combos with bad firing pin springs and shot out barrels, crappy ammo until you find the combination that works.....and it only works that day is funny to read about, but it's very common and why the gun has lost popularity over the years to the MG42 which is indeed more user friendly.  When you do get advice 80% will be from the semi 34 owners who have never had a gun that would strip the first round from a belt and fire.....ever, but they will tell you they got their guns going really well by doing........again 6 different combos of stuff.   HTH

• Like 2

Ryo, this is actually a succinct, user friendly reference, so appreciate you doing the research and sharing.  I personally have been advised by several people to use the Romanian surplus, and I have done that with great results, though this has been in MG08/15 and MG42.  

I’d also be curious to hear what your conclusion is on Ecuadorian 8mm surplus.  That comes up periodically as well.

-David

Edited by Armydoc0115

1 hour ago, Armydoc0115 said:

Ryo, this is actually a succinct, user friendly reference, so appreciate you doing the research and sharing.  I personally have been advised by several people to use the Romanian surplus, and I have done that with great results, though this has been in MG08/15 and MG42.  

I’d also be curious to hear what your conclusion is on Ecuadorian 8mm surplus.  That comes up periodically as well.

-David

Thanks. I figured it would make a good reference.. even though most of the stuff I'm writing is stuff I read about people's personal experience. (trying to weed out the hearsay). Also I made this post this way to show that I'm serious about trying to get information vs a person who doesn't do research and asks tell me what is good. The hope is to get more discussion about people's experiences of the good and the bad.

The Ecuadorian 8mm surplus I read is possibly made by FN (hearsay). There are number of people who say it is accurate and they have very few problems.  Then there are others saying in their experience they had issue with them. I haven't read anything to help distinguish which batch is good or bad.. There was one person stating it has higher pressure (case flattening) than he's use to with it, and another saying it was hurting his shoulder vs Yugo.surplus.

The Ecuadorian 7,9 ammo was loaded under contract in Argentina for Ecuador in the 1950's. It is a heavy ball sS loading (198) & corrosive primed. It has had ignition problems from dying priming mixtures since first imported, though some have reported no problems. Best to avoid for MGs IMO. Haakster

Edited by Haakster

RYO, its great to see you collecting all the data and organizing it. other than the ROMAINIAN 8mm almost all of it is much older origin surplus . the problem with that is by the time you get a test done it will most likely be gone if you want more. the one variable that cant be avoided is HOW WAS IT STORED!  much of it was exposed to high temperatures and that can spell disaster.  the first lots of the 60's and 70's 8mm from PORTUGAL came in when DICK WRAY bought all the VICKERS and 34 kits from them. only the best was chose and it worked perfect . other importers were not so picky and bought anything they found.  after about 2 years we had miss fires in what looked the same but did show a bit more "weathering" of the wood cases. the last few lots we bought from SOUTHERN OHIO GUN had as many as 45% duds ! I think you are mainly interested in the 34 and very little of the world wide supply has the proper pressure curve for it. the ISRAELI  boxer primed surplus was great but again many lots had bad primers due to heat so it was hit-n-miss. when using other guns ,  we totally destroyed a brand new Mk-1 INGLIS 8mm BREN and a like new 42 with 8mm from SOUTH AMERICA with booby trapped ammo and after that only factory origin cases were even considered. the other huge lot was from IRAN / SYRIA we had good results with which is surprising because it was all stored in heat.  when I sold off the last of my 34 parts there were still more than 40 NOS complete bolts and double that in new original brls so junk parts were never considered or used so parts were never the problem. again my hats off to you for the perseverance keep it up! 

Thanks for the information Mike. Added it to the list. 

I'm kind of surprise no one made a list.. though I know everyone's experience may differ due to storage conditions to lot # of ammo. You were correct I was looking at this towards a MG34, but this is still relevant info for MG42 and bolts rifles.  Though for the bolts rifles I'm not taking accuracy data.

Last time I ran Ecuadoran ammo in my 08/15 about 10 years ago I had many hangfires and misfires.  I bought a bunch of it from Sportsman's Guide years ago.  I got a ton of Yugo stuff from them about 20 years ago that was still good.   I tried some of the Ecuadoran in a M48 Yugo Mauser bolt rifle a few months ago and some of it took 3 or 4 primer strikes to fire if it even fired at all.  I'm saving the rest to pull the bullets one of these days.

Kevin in NC

These days, you kind of take what you can get in a lot instances when it comes to 8mm.  With some exceptions.  Like Turkish.  Never run Turkish in an MG.

I wonder if it wouldn't just be easier to convert your 34 to 308.  That's a popular option for a lot of 42 owners/shooters, and one I probably need to more seriously consider for mine looking ahead.  It looks like 34 folks do it too, but check with Mike Todd about something like that and take his word over mine.  I know from reading Mike's posts that he loves the 34.

-David

ARMYDOC, THANX FOR THE FAITH ! i believe in the past i mentioned , i bought more than 500k rnds as scrap and fired more than half in my BROWNINGS only blowing a few primers. never the less I would suggest it NEVER be used in anything at this point. COMPONENTS ONLY! and yes I DO IDOLIZE THE 34. just wish there was an easy solution and I never found it. 

• Like 1

On 7/22/2020 at 1:57 PM, Waffen Und Bier said:

Echo stay away from Turkish.  A buddy blew up a top cover with that toxic crap. Try to get a 7.62 NATO conversion kit (Norwegian or decent US made. 8x57 is going the way of 8x33. And  get Folke M's book. 

I would love to get Folke's MG34/MG42 book.. but it is quite expensive. I just might have to bite down and buy it. 

I'm definitely looking into getting a 308 conversion.  Not sure how to tell what is decent made though. I saw one for sale, but didn't come with a feedtray, but had all the stuff needed to modify one.  Need to find a spare feed tray to modify since I don't want to modify my original. I had bought a lot of Malaysian 308 which runs great. Not great grouping size, but it is realiable and non corrosive.

*I updated FedArm ammo on the first post.  Picked some up but haven't had a chance to try it.

Ideally a Norwegian issued 7.62 conversion kit. Beyond that, something  by Landies. Can't advise about any other kits. Folke's book is the shite. Gotta have it. Cost be dammed. You have an MG34, man. 

Buy spares where you can (although it never fails, when I sell the gun, I end up throwing the spares in with it......have to stop doing that....because I either end up buying  another gun, a friend ends up buying a gun, or the costs of spares goes nuts). Good luck.

Your money is better spent on 8mm ammo than a 308 conversion.  Norway did it because they got guns for free , but they never worked all that well.  With the gun's operating system just lightening the barrel is not the equivalent of running less powder, there is a lot more to the design than just a powder charge/ barrel weight calibration which is why 308 is not particularly dependable. 

If you think the books are too expensive wait until you see how much time and money you dump into a 308 conversion!  

I have read about the 308 conversion issues.. Trying to get ejection port timing via mix and matching bolt parts, etc.  I've been hesitant buying the kit because of that.  THough I've heard some people had no issues.. but the way my luck has been going this year, it would explode.  LOL.

I just pulled a FedArm 8mm Mauser round apart and found rust..

The bullet is boat tail and the inner side show signs of rusting. 
The case walls show signs of rusting as well. The crimping leads me to believe this is the original primer.. which is corrosive.

I'm wondering if this rust will cause any issues.  Not use to seeing rust in bullets.

The marking are::

• dou - Waffenwerke Brünn A.-G., Werk Povázská Bystrica, formally Czech National Arms and Ammunition Factory, Povázská Bystrica, Czechoslovakia under German occupation
  • 41 - Made 1941
  • IXg1 - steel metal supplier
  • 12 - Lot #

Powder type: Flake
Powder weight: 42.1 gr
Bullet weight: 197.005 gr
Case with primer weight: 168.7 gr

7Nf8gV4.jpgr9NoFTr.jpgsfwgelg.jpg
tfemKJM.jpgDkxPtVt.jpg

tnD9D4X.jpgjPlJSRz.jpgFHe4wmU.jpg

Edited by Ryo

I purchase some 8mm 5 plus years ago with the square flake powder. The brass was no good. Too many split cases. I have forgotten the headstamp info BUT it was original factory ammo. Paid a nickel a round. Tore it all down for components, Sold the real nice bullets for 5 cents. Scrapped the brass. still using the powder in 30-06 reloads for my BAR only. Just my experience.

The 1941 7,9 dou sS ammo you got is completely original, not reloaded. The rust is from nitric acid coming from the decomposing powder, which then attacks the steel case and bullet jacket. The stenciling on the cartridge case is a EU requirement, as the original head stamp does not show caliber. ZDh 88 (corrosive) primed. Might work OK, but I would not buy a lot. The next box might be an entirely different year/loader. Regards, JH

Edited by Haakster
  • Like 1

Pulled a different FedArm round.. with copper jacketed bullet.

Headstamp:

• P25 (Metallwarenfabrik Treuenbritzen G.m.b.H, Werk Sebaldushof, Sebaldushof, Germany)
  • 40 (1940)
  • VIIa1 (Steel supplier)
  • 120 (lot)

Weight (overall): 410.3 gr
Powder weight: 39.4 gr
Bullet weight: 198.4 gr
Case weight (w/primer): 169.5 gr

kLH85Ub.jpg

kjqhpRQ.jpg

u8BCMan.jpgr0tGsbh.jpg?1yaxkNN5.jpgSDtPvEM.jpg

Edited by Ryo

• 5 weeks later...

I was wondering if anyone knows much about MKE headstamp 8mm Mauser Ammo.  My understanding it was made by Makina ve Kimya Endustrisi, Kurumu, Turkey.  

I had a couple questions:
1. Would it be safe to use in a MG? I know it is Turkish ammo, but the headstamp doesn't look anything like the Turkish ammo that has been known to damage rifles and MGs. Plus this was sent to me by a reliable fellow member on this board.
2. What datecode is 953? i can't seem to find the decoder ring for this.

50289573267_c4f5daedfa_k.jpg

Thanks.

As a data point:

Tried 1953 dated Yugo a couple weeks ago in an MG34.  About every 3rd or 4th round failed to fire.  Solid primer strikes.  Tried 3 different bolts.  Ran thru about 150 rds and gave up for the day.  No case ruptures, as I had read about.  

I had some old Chinese and Egyptian 8mm that all went bang.  

Planning to buy some new firing pin springs and will give it another shot...   

Edited by jkb471

20 minutes ago, jkb471 said:

As a data point:

Tried 1953 dated Yugo a couple weeks ago in an MG34.  About every 3rd or 4th round failed to fire.  Solid primer strikes.  Tried 3 different bolts.  Ran thru about 150 rds and gave up for the day.  No case ruptures, as I had read about.  

I had some old Chinese and Egyptian 8mm that all went bang.  

Planning to buy some new firing pin springs and will give it another shot...   

1953 Yugo is likely safe. I think I heard 1954 had case ruptures. 

Just got some 1953 Yugo which I'll try a belt to see if reliable or has many duds like you have experienced. 

Inclusions in the case heads of the Yugo M-49 that have caused serious failures have appeared in nearly every year from both factories (#11 & #12) from 1951 -1965. No single year is better or worse; just luck of the draw. Sterile head stamped Yugo M-49 ammo ( just year dated) also has these defects. Some gunners have shot tens of thousands with no issues: it only takes one though. Confine these to bolt action rifles and wear eye protection. The Turkish "S" ball cartridge case was changed some time in 1944 with the web being thickened. In mid 1949, the Turkish NCS ball bullet was replaced with a GM (non magnetic) projectile. While the 50's dated Turkish employs the improved case head, I have found the case heads (1951-1955) to be quite soft, allowing for a good percentage of dropped primers from loosened pockets. IMO, our guns are simply to valuable to shoot these aging cartridges. Just my $.02

• Like 1

OP, you started off with..."I have been trying to study more about the MG34", is it my understanding that your interested in getting a MG34 and am trying to learn about the ammo to feed this type of weapon and what if any is available? Not sure. I will say that your brought out may interesting facts/info about ammo for that gun and not being a MG 34 guy myself (would love to) and if this is the case, might suggest another weapon. Just saw the transferrable 34 for like 60k WOW! but to feed it seems to be the issue. Of course 60k, maybe no worries on ammo. LOL Anyway good luck. I bought a MM21e for one of my Fleming sears and have had nothing but fun-O-matic. As always pics!

1 hour ago, Ryo said:

Anyone have any ideas on the 8mm with the headstamp of MKE?  Thanks. 

7,9mm MKE      month/year Regards, JH

I forgot to add that this head stamp seems to first appear in 1953 on 7,9. I have various cases/lots from 50,51,52, and all bear the standard Turkish head stamp.

My latest 7,9 MKE loading is dated 858 and is a guard load with an all RED case head. JH

Edited by Haakster
Add info

1 hour ago, Haakster said:

7,9mm MKE      month/year Regards, JH

I forgot to add that this head stamp seems to first appear in 1953 on 7,9. I have various cases/lots from 50,51,52, and all bear the standard Turkish head stamp.

My latest 7,9 MKE loading is dated 858 and is a guard load with an all RED case head. JH

Thanks JH.  Any known issues/problems with this ammo? Thinking of running in a MG but being cautious. Thanks. 

2 hours ago, har1690 said:

OP, you started off with..."I have been trying to study more about the MG34", is it my understanding that your interested in getting a MG34 and am trying to learn about the ammo to feed this type of weapon and what if any is available? Not sure. I will say that your brought out may interesting facts/info about ammo for that gun and not being a MG 34 guy myself (would love to) and if this is the case, might suggest another weapon. Just saw the transferrable 34 for like 60k WOW! but to feed it seems to be the issue. Of course 60k, maybe no worries on ammo. LOL Anyway good luck. I bought a MM21e for one of my Fleming sears and have had nothing but fun-O-matic. As always pics!

Yes originally it was about and still is about my MG34, though I have the pre86 version. Now I am just getting details of different 8mm ammo I've seen out there and make a good list to keep people's firearms safe. I'll update the origin post as I learn more.  The MM21 is a fun one.. One day.. 

3 hours ago, Ryo said:

Thanks JH.  Any known issues/problems with this ammo? Thinking of running in a MG but being cautious. Thanks. 

As I said before, these later cartridges (1950+) seem to have softer case heads, allowing possible primer drops. On the plus side, they employ the improved case head and a visible anneal on the neck & shoulder. Season cracking of case necks was a common problem after 1946 or so, especially in 1947 dated lots. The best year, generally speaking, has been 1949. Besides still having tough case heads, that year is the beginning of the visible neck/shoulder anneal and the switch (about mid year) to a non-magnetic GM projectile. The MG-34 will tolerate a wide variety of loading's with the standard 11mm blast cone. German service cartridges have several bullet weights/lengths, including a number of HV loading's. All can be used in German ground guns in good condition. The Turkish ball loading's are duplicates of WW1 & WW2 (1939 only) and employ similar powders (2.0x2.0x.045mm) and projectiles. QC can be an issue though, with considerable variations in pressures & MVs. I have stopped using Turkish "S" ball in most of my MG's except for Maxims & ZB's, and then only lots proven to be OK. Regards, JH

Very interesting.  Thank JH. I'll have to update my list on the Turkish 8mm.  I thought all surplus Turkish rounds were bad until I ran into the MKE. So some MKE may not be good (case neck cracking). Having softer case heads doesn't sound as bad unless the primer falls out and jams the gun.

2 hours ago, jkb471 said:

Anyone know the screw size/thread pitch for the ejector plate screws offhand?  Saw a pair sell on gunbroker for $298 w/ 11 bids.  Thinking I might give McMaster Carr a try...  

IIRC, M4. You can purchase at ACE Hardware. You will have to cut to length and trim the head. About $.25/each. Regards, JH

managed to find a little wind and jump in a bit here. in all the years digging I managed to find 7 originals in the czech republic in the 60's and thats it ! a complete battalion repair chest was at pomona b-4 i learned to buy and think later that had a full tin with all the other 34/luger/98 parts and tools . it was more than $1k and gone when I went back ! I have been reading all the great info on the ammo and you guys should pay heed the 34 and all these other treasures are not worth a cents risk. yes I fired more than 300k turk rounds all in easy fix sideplate brownings. did blow a few primers with no serious consequence , maybe an extractor . all the REAL problems showed up and went viral when that IDIOT that was a favored vendor on 1919 made and sold new barrels with SHORT CHAMBERS and wrong headspace directions flooded the webb. they still how up from time to time. in any case, be sure a 8mm round will seat to the same depth as an original 30/06 round in and original 30/06 barrel b-4 you set headspace for ANY 8mm round and your off to a good start thanx for all the good read ! cheers MIKE

Agreeing with the comments already made about these guns being too valuable to risk on some of the suspect old surplus ammo, I've looked into some of the other options.  

Looking at the ballistics on current commercial PPU 8mm - 198 gr only 2180 fps.  Yikes, that is weak, matching the notes above.  Anyone tried it?  Is that enough muzzle energy to consistently cycle a 34?  

keep in mind that the Norwegians did this because they got the guns for free and 308 is a NATO caliber, not necessarily because it actually worked.  Just about every caliber conversion kit ever marketed has major flaws since they don't take into consideration that guns are designed around a cartridge, not the other way around.  About the most successful is the MG3 retrofit because it was factory done and researched, not a garage build like most others including the MG34 308 conversion.

Yes I read about some of the issues.. from wrong barrel weight for the 308, booster whole size, and mismatches between bolt and conversion kit. Likely BRP barrel should not be an issue since BRP has been selling them for a long time. Just hope my bolt will work right off the bat. :) 

I have been looking at the BRP conversion kit too.  Almost pulled the trigger this week, but do have some concern about reliability (as mentioned here and elsewhere) and also the current availability of 308/7.62 is pretty dismal.  So planning on tinkering with getting it running well on better 8mm and then reconsidering trying a 308 kit.  I'm thinking some years down the road, 308 will maybe be the only option.  Unless the Russian Wolf/Tulammo/Bear start making 8mm.  

Edited by jkb471

once they worked out the pressure curves the danes perfected the 7.62 conversion and they served well into the late 80's in some reserve capacity . thats why so few actual govt produced kits found our shores. FOLKE has several guns running them and is close to all the groups that still run guns. the main issue with all the after market parts is actual barrel weight and chamber design. its hit and miss OHIO ORD made a few that are too heavy in most cases. after it was all said and done in my case? orig parts / proven gun with WW II nazi brass cased ammo / hit and miss. cases reversed / 

• Like 1

Anyone tried sellir Belott (?spelling) ammo. I saw some 8mm SB Mauser hunting ammo  recently.  I think it was fairly new production.  If I get a chance I will chrono the PPV 1984 that I have.

i have also seen some of the German ww2   Ammo on some of the auction sites. I guess the main question is how it was stored. Would this be a reasonable source?  Given the price will probably be relatively high. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/27/2020 at 9:16 AM, jkb471 said:

Anyone know anything about early 60's Bulgarian ammo?   I scanned thru the posts above and didn't see mention of it.  

I read comments that it is milder shooting when compared to Turkish 8mm.

Another post said it was a hit and miss on ignition. They had hang fire with them.

https://www.gunboards.com/threads/bulgarian-8mm-ammo.1077229/

https://www.gunboards.com/threads/bulgarian-8mm-surplus-ammunition-corrosive-yes.1090591/

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone had experience with Sarge's Military Surplus,, The have some 2013 Romainian manufactured bernadine primed noncorrosive steel cased 7.92 x 57. I have seen some older posts that their ammo was unreliable. Any experience with the old or new ammo.  Is the new 2013 product different from the older reportedly unreliable ammo?

1 hour ago, mhawley said:

Has anyone had experience with Sarge's Military Surplus,, The have some 2013 Romainian manufactured bernadine primed noncorrosive steel cased 7.92 x 57. I have seen some older posts that their ammo was unreliable. Any experience with the old or new ammo.  Is the new 2013 product different from the older reportedly unreliable ammo?

I believe the issues are with old surplus.. though Romanian seems to be highly regarded as good ammo from all my readings about it. If you buy it.. let us know how it goes.  I'm tempted to buy some.. but I already bought way too much 8mm which will take me a decade to shoot.

Edited by Ryo

I have read that the newer green sealed Romanian has some issues, where the 70's Romanian with the red seal is ok/good.  

The only specific reference I had found to the actual problem with the "green" Romanian is that the cases are not sized correctly and can have chambering issues (????).  

I don't know any of that to be true.  

Searched again now - these are the references that I had come across previously:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Mauser/comments/9f90ks/8mm_romanian_ammo/

https://forum.full30.com/t/romanian-8mm-issues/9399

Just ran the FedArms... Zero failure out of 400 rounds in a MG34.  Extremely surprised, extremely happy. 

Also ran 13 rds Yugo '53 and 13 rds MKE headstamp and they all went bang. 

Sadly my MG34 latch cover screw failed and stripped itself when I tried putting it in. Must be soft metal that someone machined.  Need a new screw. 

Edited by Ryo

I had a latch cover screw break years ago.  Used a standard metric bolt with a fender washer as a short term temp "fix"...  I had a machine shop make me one at the time, because in those days I didn't know where to find parts (other than shotgun news).  Might be an option these days as it's probably cheaper and easier than finding an original.  Unless originality is important (which I understand).  

Did you end up getting the BRP 308 conversion kit and/or try it out yet?  

7 hours ago, jkb471 said:

I had a latch cover screw break years ago.  Used a standard metric bolt with a fender washer as a short term temp "fix"...  I had a machine shop make me one at the time, because in those days I didn't know where to find parts (other than shotgun news).  Might be an option these days as it's probably cheaper and easier than finding an original.  Unless originality is important (which I understand).  

Did you end up getting the BRP 308 conversion kit and/or try it out yet?  

Machining one doesn't seem cheap either.. Seems like I need to get a top cover just for the screw which defeat the purpose of getting the screw.

As for the BRP 308 Conversion.. Yes I did get a chance to kind of run it. The kit comes with a new pawl for the 308, booster, guide to screw into the magazine tray to fit 308 rounds and the barrel.  The barrel weighs 3.58 lbs, lighter than the 8mm barrel, as expected. I didn't get a chance to drill the tray so I used some 3M VHB adhesive tape that held on just enough to run a belt of Malaysian 308 surplus.  It seem like it ran it just fine. On the one belt halfway and it stopped running. I opened the top over and discovered that it had a empty 308 brass jammed inside the chamber, causing the bolt to not be able to slam forward. I unstuck it and fired the rest of the belt without issues. The guide fell out right as the last round was shot out.

edit 2: I just double checked the video and needed to make some major corrections.

bxwonsO.jpg

LqpwMJ3.jpg

Edited by Ryo
Everybody loves photos.