22 Full auto questions

Grouse Gunner

I have a Colt M16.

looking at 22 conversion unit for it or an American 180

The  Tactical Innovations upper looks cool but I don't want to have to switch fire control parts all the time to go form caliber to caliber.

who makes a good 22 upper and mags that will be drop in, no messing with compatible with my Colt? one that will reliably  run subsonic for suppressor use.

Or do I look at an American 180 and go with that?

does anyone know if the American 180 runs with sub sonic? looking at suppressor capabilities also and whatever I get I would like to run subs in it to get best noise reduction.

its all about the fun factor more than anything. 

thoughts, observations, suggestions

I have this AM15 upper.  I also had an American 180 as one of my first machineguns.  Pros, the AM15 upper is a heck of a lot cheaper than an American 180 now (although I think I only paid 2400 for American 180 long ago,  and years later traded it for the M16 that the AM15 upper is on now lol) but on the downside, I can only reliably run it on CCI minimag cprn rounds.  Still, the M16 that the AM15 is on had a Spikes upper on it for years, so no worrying about changing the fcg out, as it will stay AM15 dedicated.  It is loads of fun and I would recommend it to anyone.  It is the American 180 experience without the cost.  I would not recommend it if you are going to caliber change often.  Just put it on your other M16 :)  The rate of fire and the design is appealing with this AM15 upper.  

If you dont want to go AM15 route, I have heard the CMMG kits are good but you're not going to get the longgg drum dumps this way.    

Why did you get rid of your 180? Did it function with subsonic ammunition or standard velocity ammunition? I want to be able to run it suppressed and use standard velocity or subsonic. Was there any downside to the 180? Other than cost? The thing I don’t like about that upper for the M-16 that takes the horizontal mags is that you got a change out the fire control parts. That’s not a big deal but doing it all the time and having to pull the selector switch and everything else gets to be a pain in the ass.

almost all my rimfire use was long b-4 all these great dedicated uppers hit the streets. i used the ATKINSON conversion with those converted PHILLIPNE curved mags . I had several and MOST ran trouble free, but were ammo choosy and CCI mini mags or REM gold bullet was flawless in both gears. at one time the barrel had lead "stringers" at the muzzle more than 5" long b-4 i noticed them. of course no attempt at accuracy was attempted or desired. I still have 5-6 conversions but its been more than 4 years since I have used them. they never needed any adjustment or special lower parts, i just kept switching parts until one ran and didn't have much trouble or I would have canned the whole mess. this was long b-4 CIENER got the design, but now a few of the parts might be his.  next was the dedicated belt fed upper. I got tired of it REAL FAST ! sent it back several times then shelved it.  i have owned 180's since day one and still carry 3 case heads in my thigh's from case explosions , but suffered way more than 3 of those. I have never sought perfection with most of my "general " use cans . i use a 45 can for all calibers in my UZI and have a barrel that mounts a can just in front of the drum for the 180. I never use sub sonic for any MG's but do use it in all the handguns if I want at times so how it runs in anything I cant say.  the 180 is a lot of fun and other than the head seperations not much trouble. the case head issue never showed until the ammo mfg'rs started catering to the big box stores , not sure why it just happened ? I had the best results and fewer problems with BLAZER and MINI MAGS. anything FEDERAL was a disaster I stay away from all the "HYPER VELOCITY " rounds in the MG'S also.

In my experience, the 180 will work with standard velocity ammo, which will usually stay subsonic in the standard 16" barrel.  To be sure, just switch to the short 9" barrel and velocities will be reliably subsonic.  You will fill up a can with lead very quickly while shooting at 1400 RPM.  Some ammo is not bad for leading and some will fill the barrel in short order.

I use an Atkinson conversion kit with a dedicated barrel and have several of the original mags for it.  BUT I also have a 22 belt-fed upper from Lakeside Machine (no longer in business) which I really like but it requires changing out the buffer spring, not a big deal but more than simply changing the uppers.  Eric Gratz(sp) was the owner of Lakeside, and the website is still up but little activity on the forums now.  Others are making beltfed conversions now as well.  google is your friend.

thanks for th einfo. I am getting the AM 180 but may get a CMMG upper for my M16 as a secondary.

anyone have any suggestions on suppressors for running on 22 FA?

they can lead up pretty quick. I have read some say that use a centerfire suppressor and then after you load it up with lead fouling form rimfire, put it on a 45 and crank a mag or two through it to blast all the crap out. Urban legend or truth??   I have several 22 cans and they are FA rated but I dont think for extended mag dumps/ definitely not for 275 rds at 1400 rpm!!!

I use a .223 rated can on the 180 and blow a magazine or two of .223 through it after using it with .22 rimfire.  Seems to work at keeping it cleaned out, but I haven't done any rigorous testing on the procedure.

as I said in my first response I have used them all on the 180. my fav is a AWC can for an UZI in 45 cal. a full day of shooting shows a lot of crud. one mag of 45 ball down the tube and its ready for more. with 3 people standing with their back turned no one could pick out the .22 cal can or ID the 9mm and 45 cans in a short burst. in actual use several people challenged the statement but all the tests proved it so. one round is easy to spot but a warm can in a burst they all sound so close, one cant tell.   I do the same thing with YHM tit cans on a M-16 in .223 no one has ever called it right with a 30 CAL can or a .223 can on the gun.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

With my Colt M16, I run a Ciener .22 kit in a dedicated upper which I cobbled together from loose parts I had laying around. It's just a flat top M4 upper sporting a comp m2 red dot and a carbine length barrel assembly. I had the barrel cut and threaded just past the FSB. I took an old worn out gas tube and cut it off so it is about 2" long then hammered flat the part that pokes out past the FSB and folded it over on itself to prevent gas leaks.
I run a YHM stinger on it and use Black Dog mags. It eats most regular store brand 22lr without many issues, at least not any more than I got when I used to shoot off the rack semi-auto .22 rifles.
.22 is always going to have the odd ftf now and again. But more often than not I get full 30 round mag dumps with that setup.
Prior to actually using the Ciener kit for the first time, I did take the opportunity to hone all the sharp edges and stone any burrs I could find to ensure it ran as smooth as possible. I also keep it very well lubed. Because of the can, it gets some blowback in the action that removes the lube after a few hundred rounds so while at the range, I take the conversion out when it starts to look dry and re-apply lube to the rails.
I keep the conversion in that upper and I only use it with that can. And switching between calibers is as simple as pushing the 2 pins and swapping uppers. I don't change a thing on my lower.