New to board, first FA, questions on 22 units

Grouse Gunner

one major reason I use the larger cans for rimfire MG'S is the ammo is dirty and the bigger cans just shoot clean and there is never a problem with all those long dumps. it takes a decimeter to find the difference in many cases. we fired full auto rated 22 cans next to the 45 can with RF and after the first couple rounds you cant tell which one is running. a typical day with the 180 was 4-5 k rounds and one mag of 45 acp blows the can clean.

If I were you (and if you have the money) I would get the iconic H&K MP5.  I absolutely love that SMG.. Though I own a limited # of MGs, I always bring out the MP5. I've shot a few other MGs at Shot Show ans Triggercon.. Some good, some okay.. and some not as fun, but there's something about the MP5. The 3 lug system makes it so easy to attach a suppressor to it.

Another one is the American 180. That is a fun one once you get it dialed in on what ammo it likes. It does remind you of a swarm of bees when fired.  Bitch to load, but once done, it is fun. It would be cool if there was a auto loader for that darn thing. I don't think it is easy to suppress the regular barrels.. I've read you have to use supersonic ammo for it it to be reliable.. but I don't know how true that is.  I have a integral barrel for mine (3 barrel set when I bought it) and it runs fine. I think E&L Manufacturing has some 9" barrels you can possibly attach a suppressor to them.

I love shooting suppressed.. but the cost is added cleaning time. My MP5 is now having the cocking lever stick a bit more than usual. :(

few people know how much attention the 180 got in the market place. most folks know about all the issues the early guns had and many faults were traced to the ammunition. there were however a LOT of feed tray problems. while they were still in the shadows and only rumors too most people, the guns endured a lot of unusual trials. only after the ATTICA prison riots did much get printed.  the govt had them on the missle silo's near TUCSON  AZ. in multiple mounts set up as unmanned perimeter protection! 4 guns on one mount all motion activated in one case. we used timed lapse photo equip and found as the length of the burst increased, the rate of fire increased and the bullets became closer together leaving the muzzle , this explained why so many had bulged barrels with no other obvious cause. there were many receivers produced with NO MARKINGS WHAT EVER! all serial numbers, MFG'r ID were on the barrels only. I have no idea how many producers there were but some made as few as 10 examples. after hands on well over 100 actual guns I did find the units that the feed tray has no pins to secure it run the best. the tray is an interference fit at the front and held down by the top cover on the receiver. this was a very late improvement in the design and a good one to look for. they usually have a much larger "nut" to secure the barrel. when VAL bought the design and all the works, it was every night in the shop until daylight most days side by side trouble shooting and sorting all these things out gimmee a break on the description this all was more than 40 years and millions of rounds ago. very often i will get an itch from one of the .22 case's still buried in my thigh that still remains from those days

THANX GUYS ! hope it was serious  I like to give folks the benefit  of doubt and assume it was , but one can never tell these days.  I am always willing to share the details but lack the ability to do much short version stuff. retelling history is just like a lab experiment , leave one detail out and the results have no meaning. I was always self employed and answered only to myself so time was no problem. during my 180 heydays a few years myself and another used to go to the WICKENBURG AZ area every monday , wednesday and friday .it was apprx a 1 hr drive from work. leave at 3pm and we would shoot until 7-8am then go to the shop. I had VOLKSWAGEN THINGS we used. that area is flat as a plate with very few washes or changes and you could just work the gas. no need for wheel attention. we would fold the windshield down and pursue KANGAROO RATS in the short ground cover. when you fired at one, many others would "pop up" like pop corn and they made fantastic targets that ran randomly sometimes straight at the car. a hit was the least desire, just chasing those fast movers with a long burst never got old. almost all firing was done just sitting in the seat so the gun was just above your thighs. when a case seperation happened the brass went straight down the bottom and jeans offered no protection. the first time it happened, we went straight to the emergency room for treatment and the DR said removing the case would cause more damage than the case did and leaving it would be ok so we never went back after that. I tried a welders leather apron and it did the job , but it was always so hot outside  they often were left off. there were a LOT of those explosions ! every trip I started with 12 drums and sometimes they were loaded again at least twice a nite that means up to  12k rnds a trip 3 times a week, most trips at least 2 guns each were used. one year at the end of SEPT we came across several RV's with jeeps parked in a group and all had CAL plates the RV's seemed to stay and the jeeps would come and go.  a short quick stop and we learned they set up a quail hunting camp with 40 or so people that ran back and forth as they could to hunt. one trip a BLACK HAWK HELO was sitting in camp and no way was that going to be un answered. we learned they were all members of a seal rapid deployment group that was always on call.  what a great bunch of guys! after that we never failed to stop and check in. they were shocked to learn we had no interest in the quail and chased RATS with machine guns. they brought out many exotic weapons and gave us lots of unobtainium ammo just in friendship and common interest after many refusals 2 opted to come along and give it a try. the first guest laughed so hard he wet his pants after a full drum chase across the plain.  then disaster ! one charged the rig and the shooter focused so hard, his burst cut across the front putting several rounds in the hood, the front mounted spare and the folded windshield in his excitement . I'M talking about a fully trained long serving, active duty seal that served on many classified hush hush missions. ! of course at the time I had no idea those things were protected, but more just got scared than killed so I dont think any long term harm was done.  books and biography have come up a few times with a couple attempts making print. I even agreed to do a multi issue article for MACHINE GUN NEWS, and two articles were printed no matter what is agreed on someone in the chain cant avoid making changes for some reason that alters the facts . be it politically correct or some feared legal action it happens and after the 2nd issue I refused to do any more.  after DAVID made the changes here on STURM, I actually managed to post a couple adds that didnt get ZAPPED because i forgot a period and decided to attempt to share some thoughts. my main goal is to see that every post gets some type of positive response, and make sure all the new people feel welcome. 

• Like 2

Yes Sir, my post was dead serious and really do appreciate your reply. I have had an out of battery case explosion on my 180, but didn't draw any blood. the case deflector is a great idea, or maybe a brass catcher?  I've now mounted my 180 on a MG34 tripod and put spade grips on it so I can stand up and shoot. A mag dump will be about a 4" group. Keep up the great stories! These are the good old days. Carry on, BP

5 hours ago, BPinFL said:

Yes Sir, my post was dead serious and really do appreciate your reply. I have had an out of battery case explosion on my 180, but didn't draw any blood. the case deflector is a great idea, or maybe a brass catcher?  I've now mounted my 180 on a MG34 tripod and put spade grips on it so I can stand up and shoot. A mag dump will be about a 4" group. Keep up the great stories! These are the good old days. Carry on, BP

I think some company did make a brass catcher for the 180.. I've never seen this type of configuration for the 180 so I find it quite interesting.

1235-03.jpg

hey everyone, thanks for the info and insight. Especially Mike Todd.

funny you mention about running 45 cal can on the 180 and then cleaning on a 45 with a mag or two.

I called one suppressor company  and they said not to do it. I guess they just want to sell rimfire suppressors!!!!

would a direct thread 9mm can do the same? or do you need the extra size of the 45 hole to make it work?

Cant wait to get delivery of my 180.

any tips on running the gun? lube? do's and donts?

As long as the suppressor is aligns up correctly I can't see how a 9mm vs 45 can would make a difference when dealing with baffle strikes.  22 can should work fine too.

Only thing I can say is that be sure what ever can you use, it would be best to be able to disassemble the suppressor for cleaning.  22LR are dirty and can fill up a can, causing performance degradation. 

Years ago I was shooting my 1919A4 on private property and a call was made by a local to the PD. An Officer came out looked at me and asked what cal. is that in. I said .308. He said, oh hell I hunt with a .308 have a good day. I asked the Officer if he was interested in shooting the gun, he said sorry not while I'm on duty.

Never asked for MY PAPERS.