Who do you use to ship firearms?

Depends...

Handguns:
Are you a FFL?  If so USPS is the cheapest method. Non-FFL are not allowed to send it through USPS. Otherwise you have to use UPS or FedEx.. next day air which is very expensive.

Rifles:
I ship though UPS or FedEx.

As for who to stay away from.. that is hard to say.  Depends on your local mailing office and the place you mail it to.  I know one FFL who hates USPS because they 80% of the time screw up at his local office, for me, never had an issue with USPS for over 10 years (okay maybe one but I think it was the customer cheating me).

8 hours ago, Ryo said:

Depends...

Handguns:
Are you a FFL?  If so USPS is the cheapest method. Non-FFL are not allowed to send it through USPS. Otherwise you have to use UPS or FedEx.. next day air which is very expensive.

This rule applies to all "concealable" firearms such as sub-machineguns, short barrel fireams, etc. 

If you can make the gun meet rifle specs, you (as a non-licensee) can ship it USPS.

-Kristopher

3 hours ago, kirk in wisc said:

Very easy way to get around the usps non dealer handgun ship is to simply take the gun apart and ship it as gun parts. Did this many many times before i became a dealer. 

Even disassembled, I believe USPS doesn't allow it.
https://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_008.htm#:~:text=431.2 Handguns&text=Handgun (including pistols and revolvers,a handgun can be assembled.

However this might be a way around needing to ship it overnight via FedEx or UPS.. I haven't studied their regulations on "Other".

• 2 weeks later...

I won 2 Colt 1903 pistols in the recent Rock Island auction.  RI was very clear that they ship UPS unless requested otherwise.  I have a C&R FFL and had them shipped to my home address, signature required.  Rock Island shipped UPS 2nd Day Air and provided the tracking number.  The package arrived in my town at 6:51 AM with delivery scheduled that day.  Late in the afternoon I got an email from UPS saying my delivery was delayed but no reason was given.  I changed my delivery option to pick it up at the UPS terminal the next day.  Even then, I had to pick it up at a time convenient for UPS.  Standing in line to get my package resulted in another story for another time.  I was going to contact Rock Island for a shipping refund but the UPS website clearly says that they no longer honor shipment deadlines and will not refund charges for delayed shipments.  I have had many issues with UPS over the years for both personal packages and work related packages.  They really don't give a damn.

Kevin in NC

Well I can now say I'm not happy with FedEx.  They had signature required but they left a machine gun at the door without knocking or asking for a signature!

Fortunately I was paying attention to the security camera and noticed that someone had activated it.

I have had the best luck with USPS. Once, when I shipped an MG via UPS, I asked idiot at counter if I could insure for $10,000 and they said yes. I then spent 1/2 hour carefully packing the gun while they watched.  I returned to the counter and they said that a supervisor needs to inspect the item to be insured for that much. I unpacked the gun and waited for the supervisor to come to the counter. He says I can't insure it for $10,000 because it's only worth $1,000. I asked him to show me where he could buy transferable MP5s for $1,000 so that I can buy some more. He then said oh a collectible, that's a different matter we don't insure collectibles. Went round and round with him and he finally agreed to ship for the insured amount if I shipped overnight. Had one idiot at USPS once, but that's a different story for a different time. My local PO is great. Fed Ex is the worst. They have a habit of forwarding items shipped to me to other addresses. Idiots.

Edited by Waffen Und Bier