Mark Layton

RARE Colt Thompson, "Irish Sword" 3-digit serial number range

13 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Beautiful 100 year-old Colt Thompson. $45,000. The 3-digit serial number is rare and unique as being in that range of Colt Thompsons that became the legendary "Irish Swords." This classic Colt Thompson has never been fired in the twenty years that I've owned it. It's the last of the 17 Colt Thompsons that I owned. All the others had to be sold in the course of the divorce. Now this one needs to go, too, so that taxes can be paid. Thank you for looking. Mark Layton (801) 361-7300 marklayton@aol.com

Thompson left side close up.jpg

Thompson right side.jpg

Thompson receiver top 3.jpg

Thompson left side 4.jpg

Thompson barrel cuts top.jpg

Thompson barrel cuts side.jpg

Edited by Mark Layton

Is there something funny about the barrel directly behind the front sight ? Or is it just the picture ?

Yes. At the end of the barrel, right behind the front sight, at some point in the life of this Colt before I owned it, someone had compensator slots professionally milled into the top of the barrel. 

Could you post a close-up picture(s) of the compensator slots at the end of the barrel?  I have never seen this on a Colt’s. Thanks!

Interesting in that I don't see any rifling in the barrel, under the "compensator".

Maybe it's just the camera angle?

1 person likes this

Good observation Why are there no rifling grooves apparent under the machined comp. slots?

Mark, were the barrel compensator cuts done in Ireland or the United States?

Thanx.
SAMMY!

Hi Sammy. I don't know when the cuts were done. I also don't know the history of the Thompson prior to receiving it 20 years ago. I just know that it is 100 years old, and the cuts are part of its history. During the 20 years that I've had it, it's been a safe queen, never fired.

Hi Mark,

I'm curious also if this barrel has been counterbored, it appears as though it may have had a bulge around the #3 slot?

Mark,

You certainly have an early Colt's for sale. Thank you for the better pictures of the slots cut in the barrel. I can understand why Centrifugal Arms asked about the barrel being counterbored and the possibility of a slight bulge underneath the slots. However, I am more curious if the barrel serial number (or assembly number) can be viewed in part in the chamber area, more particularly in the extractor slot. I have had a few enthusiasts ask me about these slots and am first trying to authenticate the originality of the barrel.

Thanks!  

Posted (edited)

Do you have a original spare barrel?

Edited by BDMERC

Still for sale?

Yes, it is still for sale.