What where you doing today in 1986?

Thumpy

Just wondering how many of you where pumping mgs out down to the very last minute... I know if I was alive then I would of tryed to register everything I could get my hands on... sad the amount of freedom I wasn’t alive for... 

On May 19th 1986, I was exactly three weeks to the day from being born. Talk about lucky!

I am extremely glad that I have had the opportunity and ability to own machineguns in my lifetime. 

May our Great Nation one day get back the freedoms we have lost over the years!

In Liberty,

KristopherH

TODAY IN 86 ?  I seriously doubt if I could have answered this question a week after then  my world was so frantic. I don't recall how much notice we had, but it was not MUCH! honestly when I first heard of the HUGHES AMENDMENT , I just "laughed it off" my thoughts were no way would "they" get away with it. long term switch board short cuts at the NRA were obliterated, SAM STIEGER had slept in my home and would not answer his phone and I completely ignored my 10 stores, 116 employees, customers, wife and kids once I realized it was DONE.  all the local cronies and SOT's were in frantic back and forth over details and everyone had their own idea about what would "fly" some laid out full 4ft x 20 ft plates of steel and just stamped numbers after scribing a shape. the same with full lengths of DOM tubing. PHX and TUSCON steel vendors were cleaned out. wanting the most for time spent, first I stripped my vault of all but one example of assault rifle ,next was going thru containers looking for Hk and Cetme packs , FAL auto sears. my licensee made Hk sears and AR drop ins when waiting for guns or parts and we only slept if unable to function. 25 FAL auto sears were the last item and did not pass the ATF "review" so were denied.  many local MFG'rs  also were denied with the full sheets and tubing. following the deadline I just ignored most of it, but was talked out of many singles as favors etc until about 1990. then the value had hit and miss for a bit. I had to get hard nosed about the "favor's" when Hk pac's  hit $2000. even then I felt that it would be repealed , but with all the support for the GUN OWNERS PROTECTION ACT, the NRA and sympathetic SENATORS bailed. for more than 12 years my gun show tables had a LARGE sign " protect the 2nd amendment buy a machine gun" knowing that as long as that was possible they would never dare bother anything else, because it would prove the hidden agenda to ban ALL firearms. WOW was I wrong with that !

14 hours ago, mike todd said:

25 FAL auto sears were the last item and did not pass the ATF "review" so were denied. 

Bloody idiots at ATF!

A Class 2 I know of has apparently made at least one Post-Sample FAL sear. He designed it to work in a (NFA exempt) sear-cut semi FAL (G-Series and the like). If only the idiots at ATF had allowed your registered sears...

Such is life, I reckon.

-KristopherH

I was 9 watching Hanabil Smith the ateam.  Probably.where I got the machinegun bug.  To this day I'm still wanting a ac556 stainless. I have a few transferrables got my 07 so luckey to have paosties to shoot.

I couldnt imagine what it was like in the day to be able to design something build it and keep it.  What ashame.  Now even if you invented the best mg in the world you could. Never even keep one.  Really.sucks agency why you dont see too much new innovation or such in mg's today.  Remember Eugene stoner built his first prototype in his garage shop.

I was 13 years old, wishing  I  had been old enough to buy a machine gun. Now that I have one, I really wish I'd been old enough, so I could have more than one.

Oh well, silencers and short barrels will have to do.

And Mike, it could have been worse. A guy I used to shoot with made some M2 sideplates for Ohio Ordnance Works. They were approved...... May 20, 1986. He got a visit from the ATF because "he was making unapproved machine guns and selling them to civilians". They straightened out the mess, apparently OOW was the target.

MORE on the FAL auto sears!  we just applied a number and logo on 25 or so factory FAL auto sears and did no alterations. the denial came after they found so many other wrong activity in the PHX area. I don't know what went on else where , but I looked at  LOT of very dark grey registrations. the most laughable were the full sheets of plate with scribed outlines of 1919's and M-2's with serial numbers. we actually got a in your face personal inspection because the number's were so high. they took notes (she) and we got the denial by letter with no explanation.  the first request for why was" the FAL receiver requires a major alteration to accept said device resulting in a machine gun of and by itself. I argued they were drop ins for the G-series and the early STEYR just needed a ejector block change in writing. denied again stating I was wrong. I replied with pics of both. final denial stated " the mentioned variations were so rare and valuable they would not normally be considered as candidates for such use. my response stated more than 1800, G series known and confirmed by ATF records while the STEYR quantity was unknown, received a copy of the previous denial. we did mange to get 2 ea PARA and standard FALS done as registered receivers, but all my other's in hand were G-series and I would not sacrifice them to the registry never dreaming the value would get where it is.  I have added 6 NFA FALS to the collection since 2013. the 2 converted examples were $10k ea   3-others are BELGIUM army originals and much more. somehow I managed to snag an original ARGENTINE army issue para for $10k at auction and still in shock about that one it might be the only one in the registry!

• 3 weeks later...

I was waiting on my UZI to transfer that I bought in March '86; $750.00. In May the dealer tried to talk me out of buying it and wanted to give me my money back. I Waited a YEAR to take possession because the dealer didn't mail in the transfer for 5 months, and then after it transferred he never called me. Back then there were a LOT of half-fast dealers. Once you pay all the funds up front there is no incentive left for them. (transfers back then took 90 days)

3 hours ago, Frank Iannamico said:

I was waiting on my UZI to transfer that I bought in March '86; $750.00. In May the dealer tried to talk me out of buying it and wanted to give me my money back. I Waited a YEAR to take possession because the dealer didn't mail in the transfer for 5 months, and then after it transferred he never called me. Back then there were a LOT of half-fast dealers. Once you pay all the funds up front there is no incentive left for them. (transfers back then took 90 days)

Integrity: If you have it, nothing else matters. If you don't have it, nothing else matters.

Very few things are worse than a shitbag FFL/SOT or a crooked NFA enthusiast, IMO. 

-Kristopher

• Like 1