R.L.

American metallurgy at it's finest

5 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

After a year of anxious wait time and $3K  my Nimba Gladiator was delivered from Nimba Anvils in Washington state. Absolutely beautiful. 450 lbs of the finest 8690 heat treated steel money can buy. Work top is hardened to 58 C  rockwell . It is a 1 piece monolithic cast anvil. With anvils BIGGER is always better. There is not much you can't forge on this monster. I can't wait to use it.If you look closely you'll see my Anyang 88 power hammer on the left behind the jerry can. Now the down side, I have to haul all this crap to Maine. Oh well could be worse.

R.L.

20200514_120132_resized.jpg

Edited by R.L.
1 person likes this

Wow, that is a beautiful beast!

-- Matt

Thanks. Most people just don't real excited about a big hunk of metal. I've been a metal head most of my life. If I could have found an anvil that weighed 1000 lb's I would have bought that instead. I love big anvils. The biggest anvil I've ever seen in person was an 850 lb  railroad anvil in the blacksmith shop in old downtown.Harpers Ferry WVa.

Watch any of the modern heavy forging videos on youtube and you'll get hooked on forging. 

R.L.

Posted (edited)

A local shop has an old 375  "monster" that I sometime use. but the face is pretty worn on it.

It is soooooo sweet to work on a brand new anvil with those perfect crisp edges...

If you haven't worked steel by hand, you just can't appreciate it...

That anvil is awesome.

Edited by mattnh

-- Matt

Posted (edited)

Thank you.

Yes absolutely correct about using a new anvil with crisp edges. The edges on this Gladiator are even sharper than the edges on my Kohlswa anvils. Some people don't like anvils that ring, this thing rings like Big Ben. I'm about half deaf anyway so I enjoy the musical ring. Nice to keep cadence too.

Jim at Nimba is a good guy, very knowledgeable and will talk hot steel with you all day. 

FYI, Nimba is the last US manufacturer of anvils. They are made in Port Townsend, Wa.

Alec Steel of youtube fame is coming out with a new US made anvil soon. He showcased it on youtube a few weeks ago. Around 150 lbs I think. Looks nice.

Stuck for now in the black face, baby killing state of Virginia

R.L.

Edited by R.L.
typo