Integrally Suppressed C&R Sten

Eric D

I'm a new poster to site and would appreciate some help from those who know more than me. I've got 3 SMG's all of which are C&R's. A Reising M55, a MP40 and a Long Branch Sten. I have come across a Integrally suppressed C&R Sten with the original wrap on the suppressor .I am very interested in purchasing it. I have never seen one before this one, and have no idea of what it is worth. I have searched to try and find a barometer, but have struck out. Any insight/opinions would be appreciated. Thanks to everyone who shares their knowledge here and elsewhere as I have learned a lot over the years. Thank you

• 2 weeks later...

Price is something you'll have to work out with the owner. First things first however and the most important thing is to insure that what you're looking at buying is what is actually registered with NFA. With all the monkeyshines that have gone on swapping the serial numbers and models from cheap guns to more valuable ones it makes sense to do some background checking. What you really  need to do is get the current owner to do an FOIA request on the firearm and suppressor which may or may not be registered separately.  Since the suppressor was integral it is quite possible the gun was what they call a "one tax gun" with the can and gun on one form. Not sure they'll allow them to go that way anymore. In any case the original registration can give more information to help verify that its what you're looking at today. If it is and the gun is a proper original MKIIS sten my wild ass guess of value will be somewhere  north of the value of a C&R original Sten obviously. From sales over the last few years a MkII sten seems to run in the $7500-11,000 range. Tube guns of course are much less though running around $4-6K. So guessing from there the value could be anywhere from $10-20K depending on condition and provenance. Some proof of origin and originality would jack the price up and lack of that would keep it lower.

Keep in mind that the form the current owner has is fairly useless for determining anything other than current registered owner. Even if he has the original form 6 from import way back, a form 4467 for Amnesty registration or form 1 or 2 from prior to 68 used to register contraband guns, the information on it is possibly incorrect. At best its not very dependable. The most useful thing you'll get from the FOIA is type of original registration and date.
Hope something there helps

Frank

Edited by biffj

Thank you Frank for your input and suggestion on the FOIA. 

The current owner is an older gentleman who is slowly getting rid of his collection. I've picked up a couple nice non NFA WWII pieces from him as he decides to let them go. This Sten is one he is fond of and is considering selling. I am partial to correct, unique pieces myself. This is one of them, and very cool to me. I'm not trying to steal it from him, just want to come up with a price that is fair to both of us.